Solved

porting out a number without cancelling line

• 20 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Here's the situation. I had the one plus promo (2x$100). Then I added on my 'free' line a couple weeks ago during that promo. I gave the free line to my mother and she ported in her number from verizon.

Turns out she doesn't like tmobile because of the areas she frequents. So she wants to move to another carrier.

My question: How do I get her number ported out without cancelling my free line?

icon

Best answer by dan.knauff 20 March 2017, 19:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4

It's best to go ahead and contact us directly!

We can activate a new SIM and new phone number to replace the ported out number in most cases!

😊

-Lauren

Unfortunately, I was just told by contacting 611 directly that I cannot change the number of the free line.  Therefore if I port out the number I lose my fee line.  Easy come, easy go, I guess.  😥

Userlevel 3

Bummer, Dan - thanks for the update, though I'm sorry it didn't work in your favor!  We appreciate you letting us know.

- Marissa

You simply need to provide her with the T-Mobile Account Number which can be found on any retail store receipt or billing statement, as well as your Account PIN. If you did not set one it is defaulted to the last 4 of your social security number. With that she will be able to take her number to another carrier. Be advised you must not cancel the line it will be done for you by the new service provider.

Not what I was asking.  But thanks for your input in any case.

I had the same question was hoping for a solution. I plan on contacting a local store which I would think they could help> I would think you could port IN a # on you free line. Mother's # goes inactive in a "holding pattern" and belongs to T-Mobile. Buy a 1 month prepaid and have your Mothers # assigned to it and then port out. Cost should minimal compared to retaining free line. This is not confirmed info just my opinion of what may be a possible solution.

Badge +1

I had the same question was hoping for a solution. I plan on contacting a local store which I would think they could help> I would think you could port IN a # on you free line. Mother's # goes inactive in a "holding pattern" and belongs to T-Mobile. Buy a 1 month prepaid and have your Mothers # assigned to it and then port out. Cost should minimal compared to retaining free line. This is not confirmed info just my opinion of what may be a possible solution.

Sounds like that would work - assuming that T-mobile would allow the assignment of the number from the “holding pattern.”  

Also wondering if the result would be different if the number that went to the holding pattern started out as a T-mobile number, or was ported in from another carrier.  

So it’s been 3 years since your post - did you try it, and did it work?