Solved

Porting out of family plan

• 16 January 2019
  • 13 replies

I am currently on a family plan and will soon be leaving T-Mobile to join another provider. I've read other threads and am aware that I will need to do a "Transfer account or line ownership" with the account holder. However, will I need to stay with T-Mobile for an additional month before I port out? I've also read that T-Mobile doesn't pro-rate for cancellations. If I do, I am thinking about doing just Unlimited Text and Talk for that month although I am an avid data user. It's just seems like it's the most cost efficient option for me. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong! TIA for your help.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 18 January 2019, 23:31

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey there! We are sorry to hear that you are leaving 😥 Are you currently the primary account holder on the account? If not, there is no need to do a change of responsibility. As for the porting out, we do not prorate so it would be best to wait till the day before your billing cycle closes to port out.

I am not the account holder, just an authorized user. Would I need to stay an additional month on my own plan before porting out?

Userlevel 4

Nope 😊 Just see when the bill cycle close date is, typically on the bill and if you port out the day before it closes you should be fine and not miss out on any services you have paid for already.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Chris, I have a related porting question.  I will be porting out all four numbers of my current TMO family plan.  What order should I port out, I'm thinking to do the primary account holder's (mine) last as opposed to first?  My concern is that porting out a number might somehow cancel other numbers in the plan before they all get ported out successfully.  Thanks.

Userlevel 4

Hey @captainronm

Are you planning on doing them all the same day or spread out over a couple months?

Userlevel 1
Badge

All numbers in one day, probably within a few hours of each other. 

Userlevel 4

Yeah, no specific order then. I would say if you were porting out over a couple billing cycles, you would run into issues with your plan having to change if you didn't have enough lines to support a family plan.

I am currently on a family plan but I need to get out of the plan. I am not the head of the plan. Is it possible for me to keep my number and still be able to get out of the plan ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am currently on a family plan but I need to get out of the plan. I am not the head of the plan. Is it possible for me to keep my number and still be able to get out of the plan ?

You need to have the PAH release your line.

I am currently in a family plan and the holder does not let us to leave. What can we do? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Not much. You can give him the sim card back and start a new plan with a new number,

I would like to know if my daughter leaves the family plan and takes my two grandkids with her. Do I still have to pay for the two lines that are not being used?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If she leaves the lines will fall off the plan unless you replace them with new phone numbers.