Question

porting phone number from dad tmobile account to my new account

• 12 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just signed up for a new tmobile account, magenta max 55+ plan, a few days ago with the promotional total discount of $800 for a new Samsung S22 ultra.

My dad is cancelling his tmobile account and I would like to use one of his phone number, like port and replace my existing new phone number without affecting my $800 promotional discount.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If I understand correctly, you want to change the phone number of a line on your max 55+ plan but that number currently is tied to a line on your father’s separate account which he intends to cancel?

If that’s the case I would call Tmobile support to see how you can do that. I would guess the first step is to assign a new phone humber to your dad’s line before he cancels thus freeing up the phone number, then just changing your number to the new one that’s now available.

Edit - it seems when you change your phone number, the old number is held for 45-90 days before being able to reassign. That’s probably not going to make my original suggestion possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If your dad is the PAH of the account the plan may need to be changed if and their is no one who's 55+ to take over the plan.

Badge

My dad’s tmobile account is separate from my new account. He will cancel his entire tmobile account. What he want to do is release one phone number before he cancel so I can port those number into my own account. Would this affect my own existing promotional account? I’m on the Magenta Max 55+ and his account is under TMO ONE All In Promo (older promotion). 

So what would be the proper procedures to do this number port without affecting my own promotions. His doesn’t matter since he will cancel his own account.

Am I providing clarity for my situation or is it more confusing? Thanks all in advanced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The link below will help you.

Transfer ownership

Badge

I’m not interested in transferring account ownership of my dad account. He will simply cancel and end his own existing account. What I want is the procedure for having release one of the number so I can port it into my account without affecting my own existing plan. This is a standard for many other carriers so I just want to know the proper way to doing so without affecting my own existing promotional plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

In the link there's another link letting you know how to transfer an eip .

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’m not interested in transferring account ownership of my dad account. He will simply cancel and end his own existing account. What I want is the procedure for having release one of the number so I can port it into my account without affecting my own existing plan. This is a standard for many other carriers so I just want to know the proper way to doing so without affecting my own existing promotional plan.

This seems to be a bit complicated and probably something that only a TMO expert can do for you. The first thing I would do is have your dad add you as an authorized user on his account so when you call TMO you will have full access to making changes to both your account and your dad’s.

The complexity is that your EIP is tied to a specific line on your account. Whether you port your dad’s line into your account or port your EIP line to your dad’s account you are faced with the same challenge - how do you swap phone numbers and cancel your “old” phone number without terminating your EIP plan and getting a bill for the full amount due.

Try discussing this sequence with the TMO expert to see if this will work:

• Port your dad’s line into your account
  • Swap SIM cards with your dad’s phone and your new phone
  • Have the TMO expert update the SIM ICCID number to their respective lines
  • Once you see your EIP line updated with your new phone number, cancel your dad’s line

You may have to pay a few bucks for the days you have your dad’s line if this works.