Question

Prepaid plan - unable to call while able to use text and data

• 17 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have pre-paid plan with 100 talk minutes for my iPhone 5 SE that does not allow me to make any phone calls while I can use it for text and data.

I keep getting the message “your T-Mobile prepaid balance is too low to complete this call, you must renew your plan or refill your account to complete this call”. I have auto-pay setup and account was paid on time.

• How do I check how many minutes of talk time I have remaining
    • #BAL# does tell me
    • checked on pre-paid my-tmobile and there is no record shown when filter for talk

I checked with the local t-mobile store and they replaced the sim card .. did not help. 

Is there any suggestion on what could be wrong? 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Being such an old device.  Does the iPhone 5SE support T-Mobile’s VoLTE?  Did you purchase the device from T-Mobile?  

Badge

Sorry, my mistake. It is the latest iPhone SE bought directly from Apple. Yes it does support VoLTE and I have it setup for “Voice & Data”.

I have pre-paid plan with 100 talk minutes for my iPhone 5 SE that does not allow me to make any phone calls while I can use it for text and data.

I keep getting the message “your T-Mobile prepaid balance is too low to complete this call, you must renew your plan or refill your account to complete this call”. I have auto-pay setup and account was paid on time.

• How do I check how many minutes of talk time I have remaining
    • #BAL# does tell me
    • checked on pre-paid my-tmobile and there is no record shown when filter for talk

I checked with the local t-mobile store and they replaced the sim card .. did not help. 

Is there any suggestion on what could be wrong? 

I have the exact same problem. Were you able to resolve it?

I have the same issue and its super annoying, has anyone found a solution?

iPhone 13 Pro with 100min/5GB data prepaid plan

I also have this same problem. Sounds like I have the same plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB for $30/month.

I have a positive account balance, have not used close to 100 minutes, and get a notice that my balance is low. Last month, I lost the ability to receive calls near the end of my renewal period (renewal on the 23rd of the month). I just noticed the issue again today (the 20th). I believe it has something to do with this plan type and the end of the renewal month.

I have the same $30 plan as sanj, lostfeeling and probably everyone else on this thread.  Have any of you been able to resolve this issue?  Whatever you do, DO NOT use the Chat on T-Mobile’s website.  I was put on hold for 1 hour before being told I would need to call a special number for those with prepaid accounts.  I called this number and spoke to a customer service rep who was very nice but referred the problem to their “engineering department” and said they will surely fix the issue.  That was in December 2021 and it is now April 2022.  Problem not resolved.  Frustrating and annoying to say the least.  Ready to switch providers but I’m not sure the others are any better.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and a $50 unlimited plan I’ve had the same service and number since I was in the 10th grade (24now) today while trying to call out my phone said I had a “low balance” and needed to refill; mind you I pay my bill before the service due date every month. So I called customer service and they said there were no restrictions on my account and no reason my phone shouldn’t call out; then they instructed me to restart my phone (didn’t work) but I’m sure they did something to restart the service as well and after about 3/4mins after restarting my phone allowed me to call out again without the refill message. I suggest calling customer service immediately if you run into this issue so they can reboot service on your account. 

Thank you for your response, Virgoeverywhere, I think you may have a plan that allows you an unlimited amount of voice or talk minutes.  Mine is limited to 100 minutes, and I guess I went over that last month.  That being said, this has been going on since September of last year, and back in December the customer service rep said I did not go over my allotted minutes, yet the same thing happened.  In addition, I’m not able to check and monitor my talk minutes online, since I have a prepaid plan.  I have to call the 611 number to get that info.  I was offered the $15 unlimited talk and text, with 3G data, which I’m now considering, since I don’t think the problem will go away and it’s just too cumbersome to keep calling 611 to check my talk minutes. 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. and I’m glad T-Mobile was able to help you.  It gives me hope that they know what they’re doing, at least some of the time.