Question

Pretty sure I found my stolen phone... how can I know for sure?

• 16 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

A few years ago, I reported my Galaxy S9 as stolen after it was powered off when I tried to call it as I was looking for it in the department store I'd misplaced it in. Tonight my partner showed me an S9 with the exact case and pop-socket removal residue that was on mine when it was taken, explaining that it had been secretly found in the possession of another family member, and asked me if it could possibly be the one I lost. I am absolutely certain that this phone is the one taken from me. How can I verify and/or prove that this is the same phone that I purchased years ago, especially if I no longer have the information included with the original boxing? If I bring the phone to a store, would there be some way to examine it and determine that it is in fact mine, or that it has been wiped of its original information/programming? If I can undeniably confirm that this is the phone stolen from me, what should I do next?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

How can I verify and/or prove that this is the same phone that I purchased years ago, especially if I no longer have the information included with the original boxing?

Each cellphone has a unique IMEI number, which can be obtained by dialing *#06#.

If you can find an old bill, receipt, contract, etc that might list the IMEI when you got the phone, you might be able to do a match on the IMEI.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you reported it stolen to one of the carriers.  Then it should be blacklisted (not useable on any US or Canadian carrier), if you provided the IMEI at the time or if it was on an EIP.