Question

Samsung Messages Chat Features Won't Activate

• 4 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Previously when I was using a Sprint SIM card my Samsung Messgaes app had the “Chat settings” option in the message’s settings, but after switching over to a T-Mobile SIM card the option disappeared. I did extensive research and found that T-Mobile forces unlocked devices, such as mine, to remove the “Chat settings” from the Samsung Messages app, and only allows devices locked to T-Mobile to have that option. I was wondering when or if T-Mobile will ever allow RCS/Chat settings in the Samsung Messages app on unlocked devices, such as mine.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Previously when I was using a Sprint SIM card my Samsung Messgaes app had the “Chat settings” option in the message’s settings, but after switching over to a T-Mobile SIM card the option disappeared. I did extensive research and found that T-Mobile forces unlocked devices, such as mine, to remove the “Chat settings” from the Samsung Messages app, and only allows devices locked to T-Mobile to have that option. I was wondering when or if T-Mobile will ever allow RCS/Chat settings in the Samsung Messages app on unlocked devices, such as mine.

RCS works fine with chat enabled on non-T-Mobile devices.  Have you checked the APN settings for your device and in the Messages app?  I have a OnePlus 8T (KB2005) with RCS and Chat features enabled when using my T-Mobile SIM.  My Samsung S9+ and Note 9, both from Canada, both have RCS and Chat enabled in Samsung Messages with my T-Mobile SIM.  I have a Pixel 6 directly from Google as well with RCS and Chat enabled with my T-Mobile SIM.  

Badge

Chat features will only activate through Google Messages, so I have that option, but I prefer Samsung Messages and was just wondering if RCS would be possible with T-Mobile through Samsung Messages eventually. Also my APN settings seem normal from what I see, but regardless this has been a problem for a lot of Unlocked Samsung phones on T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Again, works fine for me on my Note 9 and S9+, both of which are from Canada using my T-Mobile SIM and Samsung Messages.  The difference might be though, is that they have both been flashed to the U1 firmware with the T-Mobile CSC.

i believe the issue is the device being an unlocked device, now one purchsased from Tmobile.  It seems Tmobile disabled the Chat feature on the unlocked devices but only has it active on the carrier devices.  I am in the same boat with not CHAT features on Tmobile when I had them on the Sprint network (S21 Ultra). I purchased 2 S22s for my kids from Tmobile directly and they both came with the CHAT feature in the Samsung Messages.  That seems a bit of a low service approach for Tmobile to disable this on unlocked devices.