Solved

Sending a photo as a picture message, under T-Mobile's Legacy "Pay As You Go" Plan

• 31 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello.

I have a Samsung SGH-T139 phone, with T-Mobile's Legacy "Pay As You Go" Plan.

I am interested in sending a photo as a picture message from the SGH-T139 phone to another phone. This other phone is a Nokia 6133, with a monthly postpaid plan from T-Mobile.

I did some google searching, and I found the following online discussion from 2012:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1775096-Helpful-tip-on-picture-sending-with-tmobile-basic-prepaid-phone-amp-pay-as-you-go-plan

In that discussion, in post #6, the poster called "whacker" says the following:

"Sending SMS or MMS to e-mail is definitely not a standard feature in the T-Mobile prepaid realm (at least PAYGO level service). Sending to a phone number is (MMS messages cost $0.25 each way)"

In post #11, the poster called "mrcamp" concurs with "whacker", saying the following:

"I have had tmobile payg without a data plan for about 8 years or so, and have always been able to send and receive MMS to other numbers."

Well, today, I tried to send a photo as a picture message from the SGH-T139 to the Nokia 6133. Unfortunately, the sending process never completed, and I had to "cancel sending".

The SGH-T139 has been able to receive picture messages consisting of text only. These messages are labeled "Picture Message", but they are text only. Also, the phone received some kind of non-text file as a picture message, and the file appeared inside the phone in a degraded manner.

Years ago, I tried sending a photo as a picture message to an email address, not a phone number. From what I recall, the photo was sent successfully. However, the photo never arrived at the destination email.

So, what's going on here? If my phone can receive picture messages, why can't my phone send a photo as a picture message to another phone number or to an email address?

Any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by magenta3037466 12 November 2017, 04:35

Hello.

I took a SIM card from a Nokia 6133 phone which has a T-Mobile postpaid plan (which includes a data plan), and I put that SIM card into the SGH-T139 phone. I was able to successfully send all photos from the SGH-T139 phone to my email address.

Most photos arrived in the email inbox *immediately* after being sent from the phone, but some photos arrived in the email inbox *hours* after being sent from the phone.

For some photos, I had to press "send" a *few* times before the photo even *left* the phone.

No contacts were lost on the Nokia or on the SGH-T139. However, the text messages in the SGH-T139's "sent messages" folder were lost, for some reason. But those text messages were not very important.

Anyway, mission accomplished, and I would like to thank all of you for your advice and support.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Well now @magenta3037466 this is certainly a mystery, but let's see if we can solve this. Let me ask you, is this a picture you've taken from the phone's camera or something downloaded? Have you tried other pictures to see if they work? If this is happening with one, you'll wanna give it a shot with another number. Just be sure that the phone has strong signal before you test this out. The message should go through as long as there's strong signal and the images size isn't too big. Please keep us updated on this so we can help. Thanks!

Hello.

The photos that I tried to send recently to another phone, and the photos that I tried to send to an email address years ago, were taken with the phone itself. The phone has only 0.6 MP. So, the photos were 40KB - 70KB.

And the phone's signal is very strong.

I think it's time to upgrade your phone.  Weird things start to happen when using an older phone on Legacy PAYGO.  With all the LTE refarming it's hard to keep track of what works and what doesn't.  For example I had to buy a new phone last year when TMO stopped supporting 3G bands on my old Nokia Astound.  It wasn't even connecting to the new tower that I can see out of my window.  Another example is Wi-Fi calling support for older phones.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33925#thirdheading

That said picture messaging works fine both ways on my Grandfathered Legacy PAYGO plan on my LTE enabled phone. It's 25 cents per message. I haven't tried to email a picture though. Good luck.

Userlevel 6

Hiya, @magenta3037466​! I know a few folks have been following along with this issue on your other post​. How are things going for you -- were you able to try sending the MMS to another number, or did you have any luck trying to send it to an email?

- Marissa

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Have you had any luck with some more recent MMS attempts?

Hello.

I took a SIM card from a Nokia 6133 phone which has a T-Mobile postpaid plan (which includes a data plan), and I put that SIM card into the SGH-T139 phone. I was able to successfully send all photos from the SGH-T139 phone to my email address.

Most photos arrived in the email inbox *immediately* after being sent from the phone, but some photos arrived in the email inbox *hours* after being sent from the phone.

For some photos, I had to press "send" a *few* times before the photo even *left* the phone.

No contacts were lost on the Nokia or on the SGH-T139. However, the text messages in the SGH-T139's "sent messages" folder were lost, for some reason. But those text messages were not very important.

Anyway, mission accomplished, and I would like to thank all of you for your advice and support.

I'm also a prepaid legacy customer with no data plan. For me to send a photo with a text I have to turn on my data, even though I have no data plan and it goes every time. I'm also part of a group text and I have to turn on my data in order to view these texts.