Solved

Showing Wrong Time Zone and T-Mobile Can't Fix

• 10 December 2019
  • 44 replies

Been on the phone three times to T-Mobile support. Last time, it took one hour. They supposedly have "recycled" the device to get it to show the correct time. Nobody from T-Mobile knows how to fix it. They tell us to manually set the time. We did that, and a few hours later the devices show the wrong time again. They tried to tell us it was a Samsung problem (we have a Note 10 and Note 9). They first said I would have to go to an Ifixit place to get the software "flashed". I popped my sim card into a spare Moto phone and it showed the wrong time also. So I know it's not a device problem.

Our tower is 20 miles from the border of CST and EST. But the time switches to the wrong time zone when you get about 30 miles from the border. But there are several T-mobile towers between here and the border.

Not one rep from T-mobile has any idea how to fix this. They just tell us that it's fixed, but it's not. If this doesn't get resolved, we will have no choice but to switch carriers. Our AT&T and T-Mobile is on the same tower.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 23 December 2019, 23:34

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Turn off "Automatically Adjust Time Zone" in the time settings of your device. 

Done that 20 times. I set it manually, and within a few hours, it kicks back to automatic time. Wife's phone does the same thing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

When you say it kicks back to automatic are you saying the setting changes back or even with the setting on manual, it's still showing the wrong time?

We were told by T-Mobile to simply set the time to manual time. After we set our devices to manual, a few hours or the next day the devices switch to auto date and time. The settings change by itself to auto date and time.

The problem is definitely with T-Mobile. We got a booster from T-Mobile, and after we hooked it up, the auto date and time works perfect while we are in the house with wifi turned off and completely on the cell network. . After I'm a quarter of a mile down the road, it kicks to the other time zone when it's on auto date and time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Try going into settings > Apps> clock > and wipe the cache & data. Restart the phone; then, reset the clock manually.

Done that several times.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

You wiped the cache & data of the Clock app (not the phone)? Correct? 😕 Then, restarted the phone?....

That is correct. I was told to wipe the cache and data of the clock app. I also did the same on my Moto phone and it still shows the wrong time when I put a T-Mobile sim in it. I even asked T-Mobile if it could be the sim card. So I had an extra sim and called to activate that sim to see if that was the issue. Still showed the wrong time on the other sim.

My wife's Note 9 does the same thing. Her time is off by one hour. And no fix in sight.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

First, I understand how frustrating this could be (especially for someone like me who can't seem to keep am/pm straight during the day much less off by only an hour!); however (without trying to sound condescending, though I'm sure it does), after you wiped the cache & data you turned on set time manually and immediately reset the phone?

I fully understand. I did exactly what you recommended and it does the same thing. I did the following:

1. Wiped cache and data in the clock app.

2. Set time to manual with correct time and time zone entered.

3. Restarted the device.

Note: I did not reset the phone, but restarted it. I'm wondering if I need to totally reset the device.

When I got to work this morning, the time was already incorrect again.

A follow-up to my last message: I did a total reset of the device back to original factory settings. Just like I had bought a new device. The minute I put the T-Mobile Sim in, the clock went back to the wrong time. Definitely a T-Mobile problem.

I don't want to leave T-Mobile, but I can't live with the wrong time constantly on my device. At my work, I depend on a device with the correct time. It just seems that T-Mobile has no clue how to fix this. It is not a problem with the device. It is the network.

AT&T is the dominant player around here, and I havn't run into one person who has the wrong time on their devices with AT&T.

I just wish T-Mobile would show some interest in helping me. They surely read these discussions.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

So a factory reset did NOT fix the clock "won't stick to manual setting" problem either....ODD! 😕

Time is up. I ordered two new devices on AT&T tonight. Hate to leave T-Mobile, but it is what it is.

I got no help from T-Mobile even though I called in three times. One time I was on the line for one hour. They told me it was Samsung's problem.

The fact is, they have something wrong with the tower here and won't fix it. Three devices: Samsung Note 10, Note 9, and a Moto G5s all kick to the wrong time once a T-Mobile sim is inserted in it. We have only had this problem since we moved here. The time zone changes when you get around 35 miles from the border. And two T-Mobile towers are between that spot and the border. Does everyone within 35 miles of the border have the wrong time?

I was looking forward to the Band 71 and 5G with T-Mobile. But I'll be tied into At&t for 30 months.

I'm having the same issue with my Samsung Note 10 I'm almost positive it has something to do with time stamps switching between their 4G and 5G bands. I only have it happen if I'm traveling or notice a tower change in my phone.

I'm having the same issue on my Note 10+ 5G as well. Its It's driving me crazy! Turning off automatic doesn't help because it just turns itself back on! It keeps messing up several of my apps. Yes, it's easy to fix temporarily by just toggling auto mode off and then back on or doing manual, but it keeps setting itself in the future...

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

From what I've seen, engineers are working on a fix for this issue on Note10+ 5G. We do appreciate your patience as a solution is being worked on.

Having same issue with a galaxy S20.

my S20 started this just now too!

I am having the same issue!!! Third different s20!!!! I am ready to ditch t-mobile!!! No help from them whatsoever. I've been with them since 1999, but I can't have my phone switching to the wrong time all the time. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Mikes52980s.bennett, & erdy0388 have all of you set your 911 & PPU addresses? Have you turned on location on your phones?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

has nothing to do with tmobile or the phone….

a app installed on the phone is screwing with the settings. find it and get rid of it.

good luck.

ours is doing that too.   Have tried everything and it will not keep settings.  Goes between eastern and Central Time Zone about every 2 or 3 minutes.   Never know what time it is and I can't use alarm or reminders

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Have you re-tried to manually set the Time Zone & Time? Go to settings > general management > date & time >  turn off automatic date & time > set the date & time manually.

Yes.  We've all tried that.  Its not something we can fix.   Apparently it's a known issue... and not sure when it will be corrected. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Ok, I had another thought. Go to settings> apps> scroll down to Clock> choose Storage> then clear the cache & data (you’ll lose all your clock & alarm settings). Then, manually set the clock again.

P.S. This issue would drive me crazy! :drooling_face: