Solved

Showing Wrong Time Zone and T-Mobile Can't Fix

• 10 December 2019
  • 44 replies

Been on the phone three times to T-Mobile support. Last time, it took one hour. They supposedly have "recycled" the device to get it to show the correct time. Nobody from T-Mobile knows how to fix it. They tell us to manually set the time. We did that, and a few hours later the devices show the wrong time again. They tried to tell us it was a Samsung problem (we have a Note 10 and Note 9). They first said I would have to go to an Ifixit place to get the software "flashed". I popped my sim card into a spare Moto phone and it showed the wrong time also. So I know it's not a device problem.

Our tower is 20 miles from the border of CST and EST. But the time switches to the wrong time zone when you get about 30 miles from the border. But there are several T-mobile towers between here and the border.

Not one rep from T-mobile has any idea how to fix this. They just tell us that it's fixed, but it's not. If this doesn't get resolved, we will have no choice but to switch carriers. Our AT&T and T-Mobile is on the same tower.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 23 December 2019, 23:34

View original

44 replies

I’m on a S20 Ultra and have not experienced this issue at all. That said, I doubt an app is causing an issue as changing the date/time is a system setting and is not a permission that is allowed to modify. For those that haven’t try getting a new SIM card you might want to give this a try: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience. My S20 didn’t come with the correct SIM as mentioned in the Support doc so it is worth a try. The new sim card fixed my 4g LTE speeds being faster then 5G, now they are the same. Second, for those experiencing the time/date problem, a new software update was released, so make sure you get it. I would suggest doing a factory reset after you complete the update. If that fails, try driving to a different city or town, reboot your phone and see if the issue continues. It important your reboot your phone because on the boot process is when your phone checks the date/time. If you time is correct at the new location, then it’s a good indicator that something is wrong with your local tower. If the different location continued showing the wrong time after a reboot, you might want request for your phone to get swapped out with Tmobile….. Or go to a Tmobile store and ask if you can put your sim in a new phone or display model to see if the problem follows. Most of the Tmobile store are empty right now because of Covid so I’m sure they would be happy to help. Best of luck all!

My S20 Plus, along with my wife's S20 Plus are doing the same thing. They were perfectly fine until the latest software update. Makes me wonder if it has something to do with that...

My S20 Ultra along with my wife's are doing the same thing.  This has been going on for over a month now.  I have spent many hours on phone with customer service resetting time to manual and having it go back to auto randomly and after every restart.  High phones up to date and sim cards changed twice with no fix.  But I can go back to my One Plus 7 and there is no issue.  T-Mobile please get this sorted out or let us give phone back and get something that works.  

From what I can tell this is an issue with the 5G. Turning 5G off keeps me on my EST timezone when connecting to the tower near my home. When I turn 5G back on, it goes back one hour to CST. This is absolutely super annoying. I mean, is it the tower(s)? Is it this phone? This has caused issues with my alarm numerous times now.

Same issue on two brand new S20 ultras - changes from Mountain Time to Central Time randomly. Tried all the fixes mentioned in this thread. I noticed it happen once when the phone dropped from wifi to 5G, but that's the only time I caught it. Spoke with T-Mobile and they said it's a Samsung issue. Spoke with Samsung and they said it's a T-Mobile issue.

I just noticed this same issue today on my S20 5G. So frustrating! We are in central time and my clock keeps showing eastern time. Any ideas on what is causing this? It doesn’t sound like anyone in this thread has received sufficient information from T-Mobile. Never had this issue on our previous Galaxy phones, and have only had our new ones for about a month.

I just noticed this same issue today on my S20 5G. So frustrating! We are in central time and my clock keeps showing eastern time. Any ideas on what is causing this? It doesn’t sound like anyone in this thread has received sufficient information from T-Mobile. Never had this issue on our previous Galaxy phones, and have only had our new ones for about a month.

I had a ticket open with T-Mobile that was supposed to be resolved by 10/9. Called them yesterday 10/11 and they opened a new ticket with a callback of 10/14. They have admitted that it's definitely a T-Mobile issue and not a Samsung issue.

I’m VERY grateful to those you you experiencing this problem and all the frustrations with it - because OBVIOUSLY tmobile isn’t doing DI*K to fix it! I have the OnePlus 7T pro 5g, and just starting noticing the same problem in the last 4 days. After reading thru this thread, I have switched my phone’s 5G off and MAGICALLY!!! - the time immediately corrects itself!

TMO - how ‘bout somebody GET OFF YOUR A** and get this 5G problem sorted out?!?!?!

Today is the second time that I have missed an appointment due to this same issue everyone above is experiencing. SECOND time!!! It has cost me a job interview and now cost me no show fees at a doctors appointment. (Which I have waited months for). This is bull!

Since this issue has been going on for ELEVEN MONTHS now (according to this thread), with apparently STILL no fix, and with the folks from Tmobile on here providing no assistance, my suggestion to everyone is to do what I have now done; write to the CEO and complain...mike.sievert@t-mobile.com

Maybe someone in the Executive Suite can get some action.

>once you open Samsung internet--click the 3 lines in lower right hand corner
>tap settings
>tap homepage and change it to www.google.com
>hit the back arrow---then click the tab tats next to the 3 lines
>close the tabs at the top--close the browser
>when you relaunch the browser it should load google.com with no error

Any progress on this?  Apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread but I’ve just moved from PST to EST and every one of my Samsung devices continues to revert back to PST after a little while.

I’m using the 4GLTE CellSpot to improve my coverage.  Have updated its address but that doesn’t seem to help at all.  Curious if anyone else found resolution.

Badge

I have been living with this problem since I purchased an S9. I cross a time zone every day to work and don’t want the phone to ever change time. When I disable automatic date and time, it works until I reboot the phone...then it turns itself on. This is a major pain to constantly disable auto date and time.

Samsung S21 Plus here..started facing the same problem described above. I live in PST zone and the timezone gets changed to EST. Samsung rep just asked me to first toggle automatic time zone setting to off/on and then to reboot to Safe Mode and restart after 2 mins to clear up any bugs. Nothing worked. 

Tmobile rep too wasnt any helpful and juat talked about toggling the settings, speaking to Samsung, or going to Tmob store to see if they can do a hard reset to chck! Pathetic response. By this time this should have been there in their knowledge base with a ready resolution..the rep said he cant see this issue as a known issue in their system. what BS.

Badge

Ok, I had another thought. Go to settings> apps> scroll down to Clock> choose Storage> then clear the cache & data (you’ll lose all your clock & alarm settings). Then, manually set the clock again.

P.S. This issue would drive me crazy! :drooling_face:

Mine constantly goes between EST and CST, and switches, auto time back on ever 4 hours.   It was restarted every 30mins. So I factory reset. So far 5hours and it has not restarted, but the time is switching back, but due  In fact reverse that there's no cache to clear.  :/

Badge

Oh and I have Samsung S10e

Badge

Samsung S21 Plus here..started facing the same problem described above. I live in PST zone and the timezone gets changed to EST. Samsung rep just asked me to first toggle automatic time zone setting to off/on and then to reboot to Safe Mode and restart after 2 mins to clear up any bugs. Nothing worked. 

Tmobile rep too wasnt any helpful and juat talked about toggling the settings, speaking to Samsung, or going to Tmob store to see if they can do a hard reset to chck! Pathetic response. By this time this should have been there in their knowledge base with a ready resolution..the rep said he cant see this issue as a known issue in their system. what BS.

Agreed!!!  The reps I have spoken to keep trying to say it must be on of Apps..    When I had AT&T I had no problems And all the apps I have now with the same one to have them so if I wasn't having my phone restart every 30 minutes then with these same apps and my time continues to go in back to Eastern time back then what in the heck makes you (Tmobile) think these apps are going to magically start controlling my phone AFTER I put the T-Mobile Sim card in.  Their customer service is unprofessional, and nonhelpful, and their programing staff has not made any effort to work the bugs/kinks/trash/etc out. 

Ok I’ve been experiencing that exact same issue for 2 years and 2 phone replacements. Now I’m  techie and still couldn’t figure it out. Last straw was to clear clock cache and reset network setting. We shall see. Will let you know

Ok I’ve been experiencing that exact same issue for 2 years and 2 phone replacements. Now I’m  techie and still couldn’t figure it out. Last straw was to clear clock cache and reset network setting. We shall see. Will let you know

Nope. Didn’t work. AT&T here I come