Solved

Spotify

Badge

I have the Simple Choice North America Plan. 

1 - As I understand it, I get Music Freedom as part of my plan.  Is that correct?

2 - Part of Music Freedom is Spotify.  Is that correct?
3 - To use Spotify, I am supposed to download the normal Spotify app.  Is that correct?
4 - If I get Spotify, is it only Spotify free?  If not, what version of Spotify should I get with Music Freedom?

When I setup Spotify, it looks like I was only configured with the “free” version.

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 25 October 2022, 17:44

View original

14 replies

Badge

Wow- that’s bad. Excellent question, 918 views, and no one, not even T-Mobile’s finest, was able to answer that? I have the same question. Why? Because the page(s) devoted to this, explain NOTHING. Just one big sales pitch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

do you have the link to said sales pitch?

Badge

The entire related page(s) on their website.

Badge

From my perspective, I did start with Tier 1 of TMobile.  They were unfamiliar with the Music Freedom program as it is a “grandfathered” program from long time back.  I have been a customer through many company name changes.  The lady I spoke to was very nice and tried to be helpful but didn’t know what I was speaking of.  She sent me to a page on the Tmobile site (which I had already found on my own with lots of sleuthing).  She said it would tell me everything I need to know, but it didn’t.   I was hoping someone may have received a better answer and could direct me.

I didn’t think it was worth trying TMobile again.  But that may be what I need to do...or give up.

Thanks guys.  And be nice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

trying to look at what you are looking at so you know...everyone's on the same page?

seeing as how odds are you will be getting assistance from another poster...like myself..we tend to try and avoid having to dig whatever it is you are looking at up and hope we find the same thing..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

From my perspective, I did start with Tier 1 of TMobile.  They were unfamiliar with the Music Freedom program as it is a “grandfathered” program from long time back.  I have been a customer through many company name changes.  The lady I spoke to was very nice and tried to be helpful but didn’t know what I was speaking of.  She sent me to a page on the Tmobile site (which I had already found on my own with lots of sleuthing).  She said it would tell me everything I need to know, but it didn’t.   I was hoping someone may have received a better answer and could direct me.

I didn’t think it was worth trying TMobile again.  But that may be what I need to do...or give up.

Thanks guys.  And be nice!

@HeavenM  do you by chance have any info on this one?

and since most of the assistance on the site will be peer to peer we try to also avoid the extra sleuthing if possible lol..

calling in lands you with tier 1 support where their social media platforms land you with tier 2 support..might get luckier with the second option..but heavenM might also know of something a bit more updated.

Badge

Here is the link I was sent to:

Unlimited music streaming with Music Freedom™ | T-Mobile Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for tagging me in on this one. Music Freedom is an older program and with most of our plans being on unlimited data, it is not often reviewed by our experts. Let me see if I can give you some easy answers for your questions @JoniH 

1 - As I understand it, I get Music Freedom as part of my plan.  Is that correct? YES :) 

2 - Part of Music Freedom is Spotify.  Is that correct? YES :)
3 - To use Spotify, I am supposed to download the normal Spotify app.  Is that correct? YES :)
4 - If I get Spotify, is it only Spotify free?  If not, what version of Spotify should I get with Music Freedom? You can get any version of Spotify that you want as long as you listen in the app and not on your web browser. We don’t pay for the subscription so that is totally up to you. One thing to keep in mind is that some things within Spotify are not included. For example, the data used to download a song, search for songs, view album information, or ads. Let’s say you are listening to a playlist and every third song there is an ad. When the ad plays the data counts, so if you have a higher subscription that removes ads, then you reduce the amount of data that it uses. 

This fine print from the link you provided gives a tip to prevent some of that data usage: Some music services might download song data to your device for offline listening, counting against your data allotment. To avoid this, make sure any available offline, download, or similar option is not selected for any song, playlist, or album shown.

Hope this helps!

Badge

Thanks @HeavenM.  From what you are saying, I just get the free Spotify version.  Currently, I have to listen to ads and don’t have the most capabilities unless I pay.  Makes sense, but maybe not.
Can I ask one more question?  What was Music Freedom supposed to provide me that other Tmobile customers not on my plan have?   I thought any cell phone could load Spotify and use the “free” version.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if im reading it right i think it means the data used doesnt count against you when using any of the listed streaming apps?

unlimited data but if you listen to a ton of music you’ll eventually end up using quite a bit of data and possibly be viewed as a power user/abuser..using any of those listed if im thinking right dont count against your data usage..i think..at least thats what it sounds like its saying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks @HeavenM.  From what you are saying, I just get the free Spotify version.  Currently, I have to listen to ads and don’t have the most capabilities unless I pay.  Makes sense, but maybe not.
Can I ask one more question?  What was Music Freedom supposed to provide me that other Tmobile customers not on my plan have?   I thought any cell phone could load Spotify and use the “free” version.   

The benefit that you get from Music Freedom is that your data bucket is not used when you are listening to music in the participating apps. If you have a limited data bucket, things like music streaming could quickly use up the allotted data for the month and then you would be dealing with slow data connection. We didn’t want customers to limit their entertainment, so we launched Music Freedom so that people could listen to their heart’s content and not have to worry about the data slowing down when they had to do other things like work or navigate. 

Badge

Thanks @fireguy_6364 & @HeavenM.  I got it now.  That does sound like a good benefit.

Mystery solved!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i stream spotify 5 days a week for 8+ hours at work not including listening to and from work and or any other driving..so a ton of streaming..

*tips hat* no thanks needed..there are other streaming freebie deals but for most it looks like its 6 months to a year free then after that its on you. plus looks like theyre dependent on what plan you are on.

https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/benefits#entertainment

Badge

@fireguy_6364  - Looking at the link now.  That sounds like the way to go.