Question

Sprint Locked It - Now they can't unlock it

• 15 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge

In July of 2020 I purchased a new Motorola Moto G Power (model: XT2041-4) from a big box store. This phone is sold unlocked and capable of running on any network with any provider. I immediately activated the phone to my Sprint account.  

Last week when I went to switch providers I found out that Sprint has locked my phone and not only have they locked it but now they cannot unlock it.

I have spoken with multiple service and tech representatives who tell me the same thing: “we don’t know what happened.” 

This seems to be a unique case but in the end ,Sprint did something to my phone that they shouldn’t have and now they can’t fix it. 

Anyone have an idea on how to resolve this?

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have a Moto G7 Power. Never used Sprint. I can’t see how Sprint could have locked that phone. What exactly does it say when you insert a different (non-Sprint) SIM? Have you reset the network settings?

Badge

Hi,

When I insert another SIM it says “Invalid SIM Card”

I reset the network setting and when that didn’t work I did a full factory reset. 

Various Sprint technicians have tried to unlock it.

The new carrier has all the proper information to transfer and they see my phone as capable to work on their network.  In working with the new carrier we also contacted Motorola to confirm phone IMEI, Model, and compatibility.

It is totally on Sprints end, some glitch buried deep in the back end.

I don’t understand it either.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It sounds like you are a victim of these big box stores reseller policies.  They advertise the phone as being unlocked and usable on any carrier.  However, the first SIM you put into the device, the device SIM locks to.  Carriers don’t have the ability to SIM lock a device that is not designed to be SIM locked out of the box.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

It sounds like you are a victim of these big box stores reseller policies.  They advertise the phone as being unlocked and usable on any carrier.  However, the first SIM you put into the device, the device SIM locks to.  Carriers don’t have the ability to SIM lock a device that is not designed to be SIM locked out of the box.  

not to mention call in agents are unable to take care of any unlocks..a ticket must be put in through Sprint in order to get it unlocked. didnt see any mention of a ticket being put through.

Badge

I don’t understand that last line.

Are you saying this a Motorola issue?

I don’t see how it would be the seller? It is the same model # available from retailer at the time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Before Sprint can unlock a phone it must meet all of these conditions:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
  • The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
  • Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number.

My phone is still active but paid off.  How do I get it unlocked?

If your device is still active on your account and you've met all of the conditions above, it should receive a lock code automatically shortly after the completion of your agreement or purchase.  It's important that your phone is powered on to receive the unlock signal.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/SOLUTION-Sprint-Hints-for-Successful-Unlocks/ta-p/997372

Badge

Before Sprint can unlock a phone it must meet all of these conditions:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
  • The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
  • Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number.

My phone is still active but paid off.  How do I get it unlocked?

If your device is still active on your account and you've met all of the conditions above, it should receive a lock code automatically shortly after the completion of your agreement or purchase.  It's important that your phone is powered on to receive the unlock signal.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/SOLUTION-Sprint-Hints-for-Successful-Unlocks/ta-p/997372

I meet all the requirements and Sprint agrees. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

and they created a ticket for you to get it unlocked? and is it still on an active account or has it been removed already? and if its removed has it been left turned on connected to wifi with the Sprint sim card still in it?

Badge

fireguy_6364

a ticket has been created twice.

it is still an active account

the Sprint SIM is still active

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I didn’t know Moto phones were subject to this but it makes sense. I bought my G7 Power directly from Motorola.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I didn’t know Moto phones were subject to this but it makes sense. I bought my G7 Power directly from Motorola.

More and more OEM’s are doing this.  I’m not sure why but it seems like a more common issue as time goes on.  I don’t personally own a Motorola device right now, unless you count an old Krzr K1 that has seen better days, but I know the new Razr 2’s do this when bought from BestBuy.