Question

Stand Alone Apple watch

Badge

Hello,

I purchased an Iwatch SE (with Cellular service capability) for my son. I also setup a phone line for a STAND ALONE number for the Iwatch itself. 

I do not have any active line Iphones in my account. I do have a test Iphone 7 plus (not an active line)

I know you need to go through the initial setup (and install apps) from an Iphone. I am also hearing that the iphone needs to be an active line. (Confirming is true)

My goal is to use my dummy iphone (which does not have a active line with tmobile) to setup the iwatch and then once it is done, I am able to call my son from his Iwatch phone number and also track him on wheres my apple device app?

Is there any possibility to have this “Stand Alone” Iwatch (which has its own number) but NOT have an active Iphone (with a phone number)? I Am trying to avoid to pay for another line just get my son’s iwatch to work as a phone. 

What I am hearing is it needs to have an active Iphone line just to get the iwatch to work with service ? (I am hoping this is not the case)

My son has his own Apple ID so I am happy to use the dummy phone to setup his iwatch.

Let me know if there is anyway I can get around this WITHOUT me purchasing another service line from Tmobile. 

Thank you

5 replies

I have a similar question to supersupau.  My 12-year old son has been using an Apple Watch SE successfully on a T-Mobile Standalone plan for the last ~8 months.  The watch was set up/paired to my active iPhone (which has Verizon service).  However, my son has been blocked from installing and using certain apps on his watch that I would like for him to be able to use (e.g. Spotify, Strava) because the watch is set up under Apple’s “Family Setup” option.

I have an old “inactive” iPhone without cellular service that my son could use to pair to his watch.

So here is my question:

• Is it possible to re-pair the watch with the inactive iPhone and still retain standalone cellular service on the watch?
  • My son has tried to do this using the inactive iPhone, which is logged into his iCloud account.  At the pairing step in Apple’s watch setup process, when he selects “Set up for Family Member”, he gets a blocking message saying that a parent needs to set up the watch.
  • Could we get past this step by (1) having me (a parent in our Apple Family) log into the inactive phone with my iCloud account, (2) completing the pairing process using the inactive phone, (3) logging out of my iCloud account on the inactive phone, and (4) having my son log in back to the inactive phone using his iCloud account?

Thoughts or success stories, anybody?

Hello,

I purchased an Iwatch SE (with Cellular service capability) for my son. I also setup a phone line for a STAND ALONE number for the Iwatch itself. 

I do not have any active line Iphones in my account. I do have a test Iphone 7 plus (not an active line)

I know you need to go through the initial setup (and install apps) from an Iphone. I am also hearing that the iphone needs to be an active line. (Confirming is true)

My goal is to use my dummy iphone (which does not have a active line with tmobile) to setup the iwatch and then once it is done, I am able to call my son from his Iwatch phone number and also track him on wheres my apple device app?

Is there any possibility to have this “Stand Alone” Iwatch (which has its own number) but NOT have an active Iphone (with a phone number)? I Am trying to avoid to pay for another line just get my son’s iwatch to work as a phone. 

What I am hearing is it needs to have an active Iphone line just to get the iwatch to work with service ? (I am hoping this is not the case)

My son has his own Apple ID so I am happy to use the dummy phone to setup his iwatch.

Let me know if there is anyway I can get around this WITHOUT me purchasing another service line from Tmobile. 

Thank you

did this work for you? We have a Verizon account, but set up a T-Mobile account just for our child’s Apple Watch SE. can I use a dummy/temporary iPhone for setup of the Apple Watch, and then remove the iPhone, or does there always need to be an active iPhone on the line to retain all of the Apple Watch features?

However, my son has been blocked from installing and using certain apps on his watch that I would like for him to be able to use (e.g. Spotify, Strava) because the watch is set up under Apple’s “Family Setup” option.

I have an old “inactive” iPhone without cellular service that my son could use to pair to his watch.

So here is my question:

• Is it possible to re-pair the watch with the inactive iPhone and still retain standalone cellular service on the watch?
  • My son has tried to do this using the inactive iPhone, which is logged into his iCloud account.  At the pairing step in Apple’s watch setup process, when he selects “Set up for Family Member”, he gets a blocking message saying that a parent needs to set up the watch.
  • Could we get past this step by (1) having me (a parent in our Apple Family) log into the inactive phone with my iCloud account, (2) completing the pairing process using the inactive phone, (3) logging out of my iCloud account on the inactive phone, and (4) having my son log in back to the inactive phone using his iCloud account?

Thoughts or success stories, anybody?

Did you figure anything out here? Exactly the same set of questions. 

ask the activation dept. the sales guy seems to have a way to enroll one line with just the apple watch without the tmobile phone line.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

IIRC you still need some type of celluar service for the watch to work as a stand alone unit.