Question

Still can't verify T-Mobile phone # with IRS.gov

• 17 April 2020
  • 46 replies

Badge

Mobile # verification is the last identity step in signing up for an IRS.gov account to view your tax information. IRS.gov cannot verify my T-Mobile phone #.

Based on previous threads from years ago:

1) Yes, T-Mobile says short codes are turned on for my phone.

2) No, I do not and have never had a pre-paid phone #.

3) No idea - the person before me with this # may have had prepaid; I can't know that.

4) No idea - I have no way of checking if my Caller ID matches my full name -- is there a function for that?

5) No, there is currently no way to email Customer Care to send an image of the IRS.gov error. Calling did not help.

6) No, mobile is presently the only way to verify with the IRS -- they have suspended the postal mail option!

Any help from T-Mobile would be greatly appreciated!

46 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Contact Customer Care to make sure your line's NameID matches your name and that your account information is up to date.  If this information needs to be changed, it will take some time (a few days potentially) to change across the board. 

Badge

I really wish I could edit the original post, but because that's also not possible:

TMO already claims my Caller ID matches my name. I can't say if it does or not. Ultimately, IRS verifcation still fails due to some problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Are you the account holder?  If not, that is more than likely why.

Badge

Yes, I am the account manager. And there are no other lines on my account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Is this the only system generated message you're unable to get? Do get messages from places like your bank?

Badge

Yes, this is the final stage of signup verification and the only one I've gotten an error on the last month.

To be clear, this is IRS.gov > Get My Transcript (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript​​​). The 1st verification is name and email. 2nd is SSN, DOB, Address, and IRS filing status. 3rd is an existing account # for further proof (credit card, loan account, mortgage account). 4th and final is this mobile phone # verification.

You can't actually get to the mobile verification without all the prior things being right.

HTH. Thanks!

Badge

As an added note, I've also just found I can't use my mobile # to "digitally verify" myself with USPS.com (e.g. for Informed Delivery). It's the final step in sign up. Here's what USPS says re: verification if it helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I'm wondering if the number was used with another carrier at some point? We may be able to rebroadcast the number on our end. It's a way we "reset" it on our network and could help fix this.

Badge

That would be great! Willing to try anything. I've had T-Mobile for 10+ years, but I did change my number 3 years ago, so I don't know if this # was previously on a different carrier, etc., etc.

Did you have any luck?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Our Tech Care team can do the rebroadcast. Have you contacted them about this to have them help?

Badge

Not yet.

Badge

I called Customer Care and the rep tried talking to a few different people at Tech Care and another team. No one seemed to know what rebroadcasting meant until a final Tech came on after an hour -- when I was immediately disconnected. CC called me back and said they would look into it. That was 5 days ago. Nothing's changed. I still can't verify on the IRS site.

Any new angles appreciated.Thanks!

same problem. what are you planning to do?

Badge

I guess wait until the IRS starts allowing mail validation again (in 2021?). T-Mobile doesn't seem to work for this.

I've unfortunately had the same issue as you. Let me know if the rebroadcasting works.

T-Mobile's Support Team have been wholly inadequate and frustrating to engage with For example, I did move from T-Mobile pre-paid to T-Mobile post-paid. When I called the postpaid Support Team, they indicated my number was still appearing as pre-paid so they rerouted me to the pre-paid team. The pre-paid team  couldn't access my record, so I was re-routed back to the post-paid team, who then needed to verify the situation with the pre-paid team on the same line! No doubt, this experience made me think this is a T-Mobile issue and their ability to interact with the IRS System - or something on their end we can't see.

Here are the steps I've gone through as well, with T-Mobile Customer Support. Again, these options were only available over the telephone and some did work for other users on the community forums:

• Update your Caller ID to match your name on your tax filing.
  • Check to make sure short codes are turned on. For myself, T-Mobile says short codes are turned on.
  • I've become the Primary Account Holder and adjusted the name too.

I've tried almost daily to register with the IRS since making these changes, over the two months, to no success.

As I wasn't the one to open the Account (my partner was), I did read online that the IRS access your number from your credit report. So the only thing I'm trying to explore now is whether opening a new post-paid line, and rerunning a credit check, will get this verification to work. I appreciate isn't feasible or cost efficient for everyone, but I have no choice and I want to see if this is the root cause. If this works, I'll likely leave T-Mobile even if Verizon's offers don't compare due to the poor customer service. This is clearly a prevalent issue for many of their users - especially due to the IRS restrictions right now.

Having said that however, I think being the primary account holder and the credit reporting option are both excessive. I was just able to register for USPS Informed Delivery using my Verizon work mobile number - but not using my personal T-Mobile mobile number. I'd assume the main change here was updating the Caller ID.

I am also having the same issue here. I have called Tmobile customer service 3-4 times about the issue but no change. It is really frustrating and online is the only option right now. I have checked Experian credit report service and seems like they have my Tmobile number. I dont know why IRS still having issues with my phone number. I have been with Tmobile with 4years.

Anyone solving this issue? Can Tmobile do something for us?

Same here... I can't get the IRS to verify my phone number either. Been trying for weeks now. Changed my caller ID to match didn't help. Any sound resolution to this would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issues. At first, I thought it's related to me having prepaid number. However, I switched to postpaid, called the support to make sure that my caller ID set to my full legal name. They told me they have updated the information, and that it will take up to 72 hours for the system to update.

However, a couple of days afterwards - I still can't verify with IRS. This is frankly ridiculous.

I have been having this issue since February

Badge

They have this thread marked "This question has been reviewed by a staff member and is assumed resolved", but clearly it's not resolved for the OP.

I, of course am having the same issue.

Badge

No, this has not been resolved for me (the OP). You are right! I have no idea when the thread got marked like that.

Thanks to everyone who's added on that they too are having this problem. Maybe T-Mobile will work something out!

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hey all! The only thing T-Mobile has control of is the Caller ID, so you'll want to follow Caller ID troubleshooting​. If your Caller ID shows correctly and it's still not working, the IRS website says that they can't verify all phone numbers and you'll need to have the activation code sent by mail.

Badge

Ian, thanks for the reply.

My CID is correct and displays properly. Again, not saying T-mobile is the issue here, but somewhere between you and the IRS this is breaking.

As usual, reaching someone at a government entity is very difficult/impossible, which is why we are probably reaching out to t-mobile.

Also, at this time (Since April), the IRS has suspended all alternative methods of getting verification, leaving phone verification using mobile phone is the ONLY way.

I'm still struggling. It transpired that the T-Mobile Support representative set my Caller ID incorrectly, so that didn't help. I'm not enjoying the dismissive approach of T-Mobile employees on this thread. If you don't know, don't bother. For the avoidance of doubt, resetting all network or phone settings is not a solution.

Has anyone had any luck with getting T-Mobile to do a rebroadcast?

In the meantime, here is some information on the IRS Verification Process:

• "Participating carriers (in the IRS Text Verification Process) include AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Boost, U.S. Cellular, MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, and Cricket." (Source)
  • The IRS use "Experian, a credit reporting company, to validate your financial account number." (Source) This does not include the mobile number.
  • "The fastest way to verify your identity is with a mobile phone number associated with your name. The phone must be U.S.-based and text-enabled. We will send a one-time activation code to your mobile phone number. Once you receive it, you have 10 minutes to use it. Note: we may not be able to verify all mobile phone numbers." (Source)
  • "When you register for an IRS account, we will send a one-time activation code to your mobile phone number. Each time you log in to your account, we will send a security code by text message or phone call. Text messages from IRS Password Service originate from “77958” and message and data rates may apply. Phone calls originate from “202-552-1226.” (Source)
  • "You may have opted out of receiving messages from IRS password service. Text IN to “77958” to resume service and receive the security code." (Source)

I texted 77958 just to confirm I can receive texts from this number. I received a reply instantly, but I still couldn't register after.

For T-Mobile employees, "Note: The IRS call center can’t troubleshoot text message delivery issues.  If you can't get a text message right now, you can get a security code via phone call." So our only course of action is trying to get T-Mobile to fix the system that they collaborate on. Clearly there's a problem there, but unfortunately no T-Mobile customer service representative will have familiarity with the back-end functions here.