Switched from AT&T and bill is a lot more than I was quoted

• 14 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

When I called to switch to T Mobile from AT&T, I spent a long time on the phone with an “expert” who told me that my monthly bill would be around $180 month including insurance on 3 lines on the Magenta 55 plan. They did not put insurance on two of the phones, so I had to call to have that added. My monthly bill is now going to be around $285 per month which isn’t much less than I was paying AT&T. T-Mobile did not accept the old phones from AT&T because they are not paid off at AT&T and are locked. This was not explained to me when I made the order for the new service. I feel as if I was completely misled by T Mobile and now I have to pay off the phones from AT&T and make installments on the new phones. I am receiving some credit for the AT&T phones, but this was completely misleading and I regret making the switch. I should have just stayed with AT&T and upgraded my phone. T Mobile pulled a whopping bait and switch with me. I am not very happy about this at all.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

All may not be lost. Tmobile cannot pay off your phones from ATT directly. You were suppose to ask ATT for a final bill including. phone payoff. Once you show that you paid the final bill, you send the bill copy to TMobile and they should issue you a credit in the same amount. I would contact them and straighten that part out.

Badge

I have already submitted the final bill to T Mobile. I did that on 06/11/2022. When I placed the order with T Mobile to begin the switch, the person I spoke with, Ebony, was informed that I still owed money on the two phones from AT&T. We even discussed and looked at how much I still owed on these phones. I was told and repeatedly assured that I would receive a Mastercard that can be used to pay off the two phones from AT&T. I was also told my bill would be $180 per month including insurance on three lines. None of these things have been true. I had to call today to add the insurance to two of the lines. I should have been told immediately that AT&T phones still under installment are not eligible for the reimbursement. I was told I could bring the two phones and port the numbers over from AT&T and it wasn’t until after I was in the T Mobile store with the new phone that I was told that this can’t be done with an AT&T phone until it is unlocked. Now, my bill is going to be around $290 per month and I will still owe AT&T even after I am given credit for the trade ins, because T Mobile won’t be paying off the phones entirely. These two phones are I phones 13s that were purchased in January of 2022. I am very unhappy about being misled and I have filed a complaint with the BBB. 

Badge

And, I was never told that I had to pay off AT&T before I will even receive the credit. This switch to T Mobile is costing me a fortune and you all lied to me.

I have a similar issue, I switched from AT&T and got 3 phones and 4 lines. Was quoted and have a screen grab for 202/month which included a bogo and 2 device trade ins. Now I’m 5 months in and notice my bills are 235, so I call and expect to have a resolution. Nope. They investigated for 48 hours and decided no they would not honor the price they quoted because I can’t combine promos (there were only 3 promos for 4 lines, no combo!) and they would not return the trade in device and I am obligated to either pay off the phones completely if I want to cancel!!! If they’d have contacted me proactively about the misquote I could  have decided and may have stayed given it was still cheaper — but the utter lack of responsibility is astounding. In what other industry can you say “sign up now for X” and then get away with “it’s really X+++ and yiu have to keep paying that for 3 years or else pay $$$$ to get out of contract early”

I thought it couldn’t get worse than AT&T, but T-Mobile proved me wrong in both customer service AND mobile coverage quality!!