Question

T-Mobile Data Breech Announced August 15 2021

• 16 August 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

What do we do? I t appears all of our T-Mobile accounts were hacked and thieves stole our SS numbers, birthdates, Drivers License numbers and everything else to destroy our lives.

What is T-Mobile doing about this? 

17 replies

This happened yesterday and I found out from a friend at work late today. T-Mobile is doing nothing because they don’t even have the decency to inform us of the problem. I’m sure they’ll come up with an identity protection plan that we can all sign up for… they’ll only charge a modest fee too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well, they have made a public announcement. However, this seems to be a very serious security SNAFU. The customers’ names, SSNs, DL#s, phone numbers and IMEI numbers were compromised. T-Mobile needs to slow down and get their house in order.

This happened yesterday and I found out from a friend at work late today. T-Mobile is doing nothing because they don’t even have the decency to inform us of the problem. I’m sure they’ll come up with an identity protection plan that we can all sign up for… they’ll only charge a modest fee too.

That's great, I'm still using the OPM Breach protection from a few years ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That's great, I'm still using the OPM Breach protection from a few years ago.

Me too. I don’t need more free credit monitoring. I need this nonsense to get fixed. IMHO, T-Mobile has been too focused on growth and not well focused on “what if”.

Got fraud alert Aug 17 that my credit card was used for $300 across the country from home.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Because the IMEI numbers were hacked, they need to replace everybody’s phones.  IMEIDIATELY!

T-mobile needs to reach out to everyone who’s account was breached and offer services to correct it!!! It is ridiculous that the US news does not pick this up but I learned about it on the German news!

I agree with all.  My only official notification besides the news is from my LifeLock account about the T-Mobile breach.   They have our phone numbers and email addresses so we should have gotten news before the media.   Not happy with t-mobile customer care.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Got fraud alert Aug 17 that my credit card was used for $300 across the country from home.

Probably unrelated. Credit card information was not supposed to have been compromised.

Because the IMEI numbers were hacked, they need to replace everybody’s phones.  IMEIDIATELY!

IMEI is not that important. Neither is IMSI. There’s really not much someone can do with that information. What’s important is Name, DoB, SSN & DL#

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just this afternoon. https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/data-breach-2021

Got my notificatio fro my internet security provider, not t mobile. Whats Up with that?. How do we fix it. Need answers now!!!

Dear T Mobile. What will my settlement be? An apology will not cover this one. 

So did they get debit card information?

The wait times for customer care are over 2+ hours. I got a call back and was immediately disconnected. Also the link for McAffee protection no longer works or is crashing. This is the same kind of crap I had with Sprint. I switched to T-Mobile a few years ago and now look at what’s happening. Good luck waiting on a response from T-Mobile.

This whole thing is uncalled for I thought T Mobile was a good company but I am re-thinking that

Confirming the McAfee protection link is broken.  I absolutely cannot believe these bozos kept former customer social security numbers. So glad I never gave them mine!  It’s bad enough they lost active customer information, but storing information of people who either never were or are former customers is unconscionable.  Hey T-Mobile, get your lawyers ready.  You are going to be sued big-time.  Shame on you!  Fire your CISO, Fire your CIO, and Fire your CEO.  All are culpable for this incredible stupidity.

I switched my cell service from TMobile to Consumer Cellular July 2020.

I just received a notice from TMobile dated October 11,2021 notifying me that my personal information, including my SS number was accessed on or before July 19, 2021. 

Why did TMobile still have my personal data on file since I had not been their customer for the year before their breach?  They are offering me 2 years protection plan.  So after that I have to pay since THEY kept my file subsequent to my cancelling my service and THEY didn’t keep adequate safeguards to keep my information safe?!? 

Is there some action we can take aside from telling TMobile we are very unhappy with their handling of our personal information?

I switched our service as they have poor cell service in Carson City, NV but after this breach I doubt I would ever use TMobile again.