Question

T-mobile FALSE Trade In offer and do not fall for it

• 10 September 2020
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Recently we have trade in our old mobile and added new line to the existing group using a promotion offer, they have promised overall 500 trade credit for old mobile and adding new line as per the promotion. Unfortunately T Mobile is not good enough keep their word and simply saying promotion is not eligible and just saying some reasons which were never discussed at the time of opening line or during last 4 months, simply bargaining to give some credit which is much lesser than actual trade in amount. 

Honestly I had worst experience with T-Mobile and they are saying after so much of research they have found out the reason is due to port in from previous carrier to T-Mobile, looks like T-mobile do not even know what they are selling, instead simply escape and do not stand on promises given at the time of purchases. Simply, T Mobile is luring customers with false promotions which cannot be applied to customer after couple of months. 

This topic has been closed for comments

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Which promo was it for and what phone?

Userlevel 1
Badge

There was a promotion in the month of May 2020, I traded in my iPhone 6s and got iPhone 11 Pro, they supposed to give credit of $500 to that but after 4 months they said your not eligible for that offer. All this time they were saying I’ll be getting the credit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I can’t find that specific promo but I’ve notice from previous post that a higher estimate is given for the trade in but when they receive it they lower the trade in value.

I suggest contacting Tmobile using messenger via Tmobile’s Facebook or Twitter page to see if they can help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The offers for trade ins are usually based on the absolute best condition scenario.  If the device being traded in isn’t in pristine condition, you can’t expect the full trade in value for it.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

@syaoran we trade in good mobile without any damages, they didn’t say anything about the mobile condition from last 4 months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's in their fine print.  All trade-in are subject to evaluation, etc.  This is why I keep my devices, give them to family and friends, or sell them on Swappa.  The last time I got what I was told I would get for a trade-in, was for a Motorola Nexus 6.  A

Assurant and Assurion are two of the biggest scans going and it is usually one of these companies that evaluate and decide upon the trade-in credit.  If they have lot laying around, they shaft you regardless of how pristine your device is.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When I bought my new phone in February they offered to pay the final 3 months of my installment and give me a $11 credit for a mint LG V30. I passed. I always keep my previous phone for a back up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I always advise people to be very wary of trade-in offers. Even if T-Mobile’s warehouse does not manage to lose your phone (which seems to happen with uncanny regularity), they can knock down the trade-in value to zilch, for the slightest damage, even mythical “water damage” from normal usage in high-humidity environments. It seems a much better plan to get the phone unlocked and sell it some place like Swappa, where you’re pretty sure to get something, even if it’s not $500.

I can’t speak to the promo, as I don’t know the details. Most of T-Mobile’s recent promos seem to require that you add a line.

The tmobile trade-in is a scam. I traded in an iphoneX 256G and an iphone8 64G only to get $212 in total for the X. Both were in perfect condition. Not even a single scratch on them. Supposedly the 8 is not eligible. They advertised as each phone was worth $680 in trade in value. Damn crooks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’ve never had any trouble with trade-ins and I have always received the correct value for my device. I photograph every side of my device; video it working properly; photograph the entire packing process; photograph the person I hand it to; and get a tracking number. If I have to go to court, I have it all! Also, I make sure the photos & videos are geo & time stamped. :wink:

If you are doing all that just to trade in a phone, it means you been cheated before. Now get out of here with your paid comments. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Darn! Missing getting paid AGAIN! :scream:

Userlevel 1

This is a HUGE SCAM! & honestly T-Mobile needs to be sued. I just did their trade-in option in November. I traded in my paid off iPhone 7plus 128gb and purchased the iPhone 12 pro max 256gb. I was informed that I would receive $300 credit. I thought this sounded like a pretty good deal so I went for it. Only to soon find out that I would be credited $300 over a course of 30 months! Then to top it off, 2 weeks later I received a text stating that I would only be credited $73. When I called T-mobile the representative stated that I had “water damage” which is impossible because that phone was in perfect condition. It was never dropped or damaged in any way. I always kept it in a case with screen protector. The representative said she would call me back and process my complaint. However, when I called back today the claim was never processed and there was no record of it. Also, the representative herself stated that I should have received WRITTEN INFORMATION about this supposed water damage rather than receive it via word of mouth. I am still battling with them to either receive my credit or to send me back my phone. It’s not about the money because I can easily get $300. It’s about the principle and the false representation. I feel that I may have to take legal action considering reading all of these complaints that reflect the current situation that I am experiencing. I have been a loyal customer for 14 years, never had any issues with T-Mobile and this one here is highly unacceptable, unprofessional and absolute fraudulent behavior. Regardless of what anyone says THIS IS A SCAM! I would never do the trade in option again and I wouldn’t recommend that anyone do it either. T-Mobile needs to be exposed for the emotional, mental and financial abuse that they are bestowing upon their customers. This is unacceptable! 

Userlevel 1

I had a similar issue with the trade-in offer during Thanksgiving. After promising a credit of $680 for my iPhone XR 256gb, I am now receiving only $460 in credits. T-mobile says they deduct the fair market value of the device from the trade-in offer (i.e. $220) and give the rest as credits. This makes no sense at all and is NOTHING BUT FRAUD. 

I have never had any issues with bill credits with various providers I have been with over the past 5 years but this is a first. I am frankly surprised given the stellar reputation that Tmobile has - that they would pull something like this off.

I will be logging a complaint with the DA’s office and BBB and encourage all of you to do the same. 

Just got the text today that I would receive $58 credit for my trade-in after initially being told I would get $250. Phone was in perfect shape. We’ve all been victims of a classic bait and switch scam…  Unacceptable!

Y’all do realize that just because you just purchased the phone this year, that they have been manufactured far before that right? The 8 was made 4 years ago. Why would anyone give you that much for a phone you used and can’t be sold brand new? The 8 is $450 brand new in a box never before being touched by another person for use. Why would I give anyone more than $100 for it used? $460+$220 is $680 so they gave you the value. Why would they give you $680 on the bill and $220 is the store? That would be basically the equivalent in a lot of cases of you getting more for the phone than you paid yourself.

I recently trade in four XR To get four iPhone 12 pro. I will have to pay 169 bucks in 30 months.The staff told me that I will receive 185 bucks for each phone I trade in from Apple. The T mobile will help me pay 800 bucks for each of the 12 pro. Which mean 4000 bucks of credit. If T Mobile did not keep the word. I will sue them.

Well looks like we are the latest victim of this scam. Purchased 3 phones through the rebate program offered at our local Costco store. Promised $430 prepaid Mastercard in return for each phone bought. Promo date 10/1-10/29 Purchased 10/25 & 10/29 submitted paperwork and sent phones off on 11/11 the time given to complete this offer was 30 days from date of purchase per the wording of paperwork. All three rebate claims denied by tmobile stating submissions were late even S they gave us submission date acceptance of 11/11. Going to dispute this denial and see if they will honor the paperwork and date of acceptance or it sounds like we were also subject to this fraud on behalf of Assurant, costco and tmobile.

Similar scam by T-mobile. Purchased a new iPhone 12 on promo, where if I traded in certain iPhone models I would get full credit to offset, meaning $0.  However, just saw on the bill that I am getting $90 credit for the trade in. I chatted with someone online for about 3 hours to find out nothing, but then later saw a missed message from this guy saying he had an answer and a good news. Tried to get a hold of this guy and he isn’t reachable. Meanwhile other people I speak to tells me the answer that they don’t have any info, until a few days ago, this lady tells me the phone I sent in had a liquid damage. Serious? I don’t play games and I sent in a perfect condition phone that I always kept in otter box case. Unbelievable.  T-Mobile, this is how you guys have been taking market share from Verizon and AT&T?

Any credit issues for promotions should be brought back to the representative that sold you the device and took your trade-in. They can directly speak with the promotions department and find out exactly why the promo hasn't been applied correctly. Typically, we can make a case for our customers and have the problem resolved on the back end. 😁 

Well looks like we are the latest victim of this scam. Purchased 3 phones through the rebate program offered at our local Costco store. Promised $430 prepaid Mastercard in return for each phone bought. Promo date 10/1-10/29 Purchased 10/25 & 10/29 submitted paperwork and sent phones off on 11/11 the time given to complete this offer was 30 days from date of purchase per the wording of paperwork. All three rebate claims denied by tmobile stating submissions were late even S they gave us submission date acceptance of 11/11. Going to dispute this denial and see if they will honor the paperwork and date of acceptance or it sounds like we were also subject to this fraud on behalf of Assurant, costco and tmobile.

Hello Kgraham, Whats their response ?

damn, i fell for this scam and have been given the run around by t-mobile employees. traded in my 6s in perfect condition. was told $500 and it would take two billing cycles. i’m going to cancel my service tomorrow. what an absolute joke. i even have the voicemail of the sales rep saying $500 lol. 

I switched to T-Mobile in January. I traded in 2 iPhone XR 64g which they told me were worth $830 each. Now I’m finding our they only gave me $175 each. Lying BASTARDS!!!!

We switched in late November/early December.  We were scammed on the trade in too.  I am telling everyone I know to avoid falling for T-Mobile’s rip off trade in deceptions.  We were told we would receive 830 and 950 for two iPhones in perfect condition.  We mailed them to T-Mobile and got a notice that they had received one.  They were sent to Tmobile  in the same box, using the label I was sent by the Tmobile rep I spoke to on the phone setting things up, who got other details wrong on the order (like what kind of phone account, and the numbers). I had to sort those out at a store and got stuck with a $20 extra service charge to have a person in store fix the other’s mistake.  I have called tmobile twice and been told we should have sent the phones separately (we were not told this when we ordered phones).  They talked about searching the warehouse.  No news.  But I just got a larger bill including a huge monthly payment required because they won’t acknowledge receiving the iPhone.   I wonder if someone has a nice iPhone for free while i am denied my trade in credit?  People have suggested I contact the better business bureau.  I think a better response is to switch carriers as soon as possible.  It isn’t a bargain if you get cheated.  We  weren’t given the option of handing the phones to a store rep in person and getting a receipt.  But the lesson is: don’t be an idiot like I was, and trust a company that takes weeks to process a trade in, and then rips you off.  I should have just given the phones to relatives.  

Same thing happened to us. Sent 3 phones and was told all were water damage which is a lie! Now I am liable to pay $2700 and I was supposed to get $2000 back in bill credits! Tmobile is a liar and a cheat company..shame on them for playing with customers emotions like this...there has to be a class action lawsuit for this