T-Mobile Home Internet Service

I want to start by saying the customer service I have received has been nothing less than stellar in all the time I have been with T-mobile. I am part of the Magenta Insiders program as well and can not wait to see whats to come next.

I recently signed up for the Home Internet service and was sent a TM-RTL0102 LTE Modem which offers perfect reception for great upload( better than my existing broadband provider by 4 times) and great download speeds(slightly slower but not noticeable for my application), so kudos on that! My problem I have is this modem doesn't allow for port forwarding or bridge mode.

Port forwarding is a HUGE necessity for any of your gaming customers, and will likely cause a great service to not look so good in the eyes of your customer. I can deal with the lack of port forwarding if there was a bridge mode available and I could at that point install my own routers( as I previous could and did with broadband). The lack of a bridge mode causes major issues for my existing setup.

Please consider pushing a firmware( or releasing one for us to install) that allows for bridge mode to be available for us customers. If this is not possible a suggested cradlepoint, or different modem device that we could use that has these settings would be a good alternative if a bridge mode firmware update is not possible.

Sincerely your magenta advocate,

Rob

17 replies

I'm surprised this was left out.

Granted, many won't ever see the need for that type of service, but if you have any 'younger' members of the family, it'll almost certainly become a huge demand!

Congratulations on being included in this pilot program - I'd tried to contact T-Mobile about some type of expanded services for those of us without ANY options whatsoever for broadband back when they first release the Hot Spot device a couple months ago   (you mentioned you already had a broadband provider).   The Executive Response member who contacted me seemingly had NO CLUE about this program, and then I saw in the news when it was rolled within a month of our conversations.   I was a bit shocked - they had no clue?   This program has to have been in the works for nearly a year, with a sign up page available at some point around the time of our conversation about a service very much like what is being offered here....

But, that aside.   I'm glad they're moving forward with something like this.   I'm forced to tether my phone for ALL internet service, as the only other option for us is Satellite "broadband".  Yeah...  that's a stretch of the term, considering the expense and severe restrictions, not to mention horrible response speed (ping) and unreliability with weather.

Here's to hoping I'll be able to join in this program, soon!

Userlevel 1

Port forwarding is not only for young gamers. Anyone who has a NAS at home for example would like it, or home VPN, etc...

But people mostly wants to have a bridge mode, like a regular modem. Then, you can attached to it an advanced router.

But I am not surprised they don't think about it.... It's the same as the eSim for iPhone users...

Hopefully for this subject T-Mobile is going to communicate a little bit better, and taking in consideration the request of their loyal customers.

After 20days trial I have decided to go for it and turn down my COX accounts. I not sure where go wrong. Everything the same except while we were playing YouTube TV were keep hanging several times. And checked the T connection apps connection is WEAK not status like before as GOOD. Just want to make sure you are not downgrade the speed after 20days trial. 

I'm surprised that this post was made 2years ago and T-mobile has not added the port forwarding and Bridge feature to their home internet.

I just bought the tmobile home internet a few days ago and it doesn't have the port forwarding feature and when I called customer service to see if they could do it on their end they said it is not supported and they don't know when the feature is going to be available.

That's a huge limitation for me and I'm going to be canceling this service.

So long Tmobile internet!

I have 2 homes in different states( Texas and California). I plan to use t-mobile home internet for both home. How can I have t-mobile App for home internet to support both home? I mean just use one iPhone with t-mobile App to support both home. Can I do it? Or I need another iPhone to support 2nd home? Please help. Thanks

I like to use my home phone is this possible

Less of a question and more of an observation….I’ve had internet service for a little over a month.  Worked very well, until it didn’t.  Lots of trouble shooting, a new “Gateway”, and still no resolution.  I have been a customer for 18 years and can’t believe how poorly this problem has been handled.  I believe there is a hardware problem on the tower that is causing the issue but can’t get anywhere with a solution.  I’m giving T-Mobile until Monday and then it’s back to cable internet service.   It’s a shame because for two weeks it worked great but there doesn’t seem to be any urgency in fixing the new issue.  I took a chance and as they say, no good deed goes unpunished…..

Like I said I' ve no problems since set up

I’ve had T-Mobile home internet service for about 5 months, and it’s been great until 2 weeks ago.  Initially, internet connection would drop at least a dozen times a day.  Now I barely get 2 bars on my signal and download speed of 1-2 Mbps.  Customer service has been pathetic.   Numerous calls have resulted in no progress toward the resolution of my problem, and no answers to either the source of the problem or estimated resolution.  I’m afraid that tmobile home internet service is not ready for prime time.  Back to cable I suppose.   I had high hopes for this as an alternative to cable, but I’m afraid that T-Mobile has not lived up to its promise on home internet service

Anyone else having a problem with the Home Internet Gateway being unable to load the content of the CNBC app on their iPhone? I need to go off the gateway and onto cellular data for the CNBC app to work reliably. These same thing happens frequently with the Amazon app and many times on common websites as well. Rebooting the router fixed the issue but only for about an hour. 

I’m trying to find out when T-Mobile Home Internet Service will be available in the Cambridge, MN 55008.

Thanks

Home Internet speed is slowing down

Home Internet speed is slowing down

Yes it has it has slowed way down to DSL speeds in my area. Guess it’s time to switch bk to spectrum 

After 20days trial I have decided to go for it and turn down my COX accounts. I not sure where go wrong. Everything the same except while we were playing YouTube TV were keep hanging several times. And checked the T connection apps connection is WEAK not status like before as GOOD. Just want to make sure you are not downgrade the speed after 20days trial. 

I believe we are all being throttled speeds are good for a while and then they go to shit

I’m incredibly sad as I’m going to have to switch back to Spectrum for internet.  The last week I’ve seen max speeds as low as 10Mbps.  I’ve tried everything to resolve the issues(I’m an IT worker).  Interestingly, around 5am I was getting “normal” speeds of around 390Mbps but it dropped rapidly after 8 am.  I need fast internet as I work from home.  Hopefully, T-Mobile will figure this out by the time my special pricing with Spectrum is over.

I believe we are all being throttled speeds are good for a while and then they go to shit

This is most certainly the case. During the week, I am getting speeds of about 300/25. In the weekends, this drops to 50/15. They are clearly fudging on their promise, but it's not bad enough that I'm considering leaving. I can still stream and it's the weekdays / work hours I am most concerned with. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

There is much more variability with the quality and quantity of cell towers in your area plus the population of folks in your area who use those towers. These have bigger impact on your bandwidth than anything else.

In my case, I completely lucked out. My town is about 30K population and for some odd reason, we have a lot of cell towers and all upgraded to 5G with most providing UC. Perhaps this is due to my town being a tourist destination. At my home, cell tower is about 0.5 miles away on top of a hill. The homes here tend to have large lots so the density is pretty low. I am approaching month 5 and still get downloads in the 200-400 mbps range and 20-40 upload range. As most folks have experienced, the lower range happens during weekdays and work hours.

Now in downtown where it can get pretty full of tourists, I’ve seen 700+ mbps on my phone in the early morning and almost non usable when there is a festival of some sort with large crowds. Both cases I see full bars and UC enabled.

I do have cable available which gives a steady 400 mbps and 15 down but it will cost $85 per month. Gigabit is still way too expensive at $115 per month and I really don’t need that kind of bandwidth. I also don’t play online games so no need for low latency. I do stream live TV and so far I’ve had no issues.

One thing I do agree with just about everyone who have tried TMO home internet - the tech support is pretty useless and I’ve had 10000000% better support on this community forum!