T-mobile rep asked me to go to AT&T

• 23 September 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Our company have a website for employee discount. Currently there’s a employee discount promotion for AT&T Unlimited Elite plan. I compare that to the T-mobile’s Amplified (Same as Magenta Plus)  plan. AT&T’s “unlimited” 4G limit is 100GB while T-mobile “unlimited” 4G limit is 50GB. The mobile hotspot data limit is 30GB on AT&T while T-mobile is 20GB. AT&T gives $10 discount per line, while T-mobile only give $5 discount for autopay. AT&T included $12 worth HBO max while T-mobile included a $9 Netflix. The rest are close enough.

I called and asked the rep if T-mobile have plan to match AT&T’s employee discount. We did some comparison. She essentially told me “If you think AT&T is better than us, then you should go with AT&T”.

That was my first phone conversation after T-mobile merged with Sprint. My impression is T-mobile maybe are getting a bit too large and a bit too comfortable with customer counts after merge. I am pretty certain that T-mobile rep would never push customer to other carriers in the past. 

I am with T-mobile for over 6 years. Earlier this year, I got misled to switch from T-mobile Simple Choice plan to Amplified plan. When I called T-mobile on the gift card for switching the plan, T-mobile rep pointed finger to their authorized dealer. It’s their matter, not T-mobile.

Maybe it’s time for me to go. Apparently AT&T are stepping up with their game while T-mobile customer service are going down hill. Or maybe I did not serve T-mobile well in the last 6 years? Or this customer is just too difficult?

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I originally planned to help my uncle’s family to consolidate his home phone bill (AT&T), cell phone (Verizon) bill and tablet data bill (T-mobile), all with T-mobile. Plan changes now.

My friend who is IT director for a company. When we had a casual conversation this afternoon, I also shared my bad T-mobile experience with him.

I apologize for having a big mouth that share both good and bad experience with friends and family.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I worked retail for over 35 years and this would of never been done years ago but in today’s world unfortunately this is going to become more common place.

Everything is tracked, we knew who were the best customers and who the problems customers were.

Unfortunately, time is money and if the sales rep can sell they just have to cut bait. BTW AT&T needs to step up their game since they’re bleeding customers in phone, wireless and TV and are looking to spin off Direct TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

hmmm. looks like she just dint’ no longer wanted to deal with you, customers always want to hear only what they want. lady could have either helped or say, if its obviously more with att then go, leave me alone. this is what i see when she said just go with them.

I have never seen anybody do that unless they are annoyed with the customer. :/ js idk

Userlevel 1
Badge

I worked retail for over 35 years and this would of never been done years ago but in today’s world unfortunately this is going to become more common place.

Everything is tracked, we knew who were the best customers and who the problems customers were.

Unfortunately, time is money and if the sales rep can sell they just have to cut bait. BTW AT&T needs to step up their game since they’re bleeding customers in phone, wireless and TV and are looking to spin off Direct TV.

How do the business defined best customer? If staying with T-mobile for 6 years and didn’t cause any issue cannot earn an average grade? Based on what you said, it sounds like the best customer is the one who consistently spend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

your company would need to be the one to try and negotiate a better deal..not you as one of their employees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The rep must have decided you already made up your mind and decided to help other customers in queue.

Plus All those add ons like HBO Max doesn't cost AT&T anything since they own HBO. While Tmobile has to pay for Netflix.

Also look for all the hidden fees when you switch to AT&T like the $45 upgrade fees and other line charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There’s a bar in Alaska that has the slogan, “We cheat the other guy and pass the savings to you.”  AT&T’s practice for a long time has been to publish very high “rack rates” and then offer “special discounts” to everyone and his brother. Some of these discounts are really good, provided you qualify. OTOH, T-Mobile offers reasonable rates to everyone with a few discounts offered to select groups (e.g. 55+, Military, etc.) These discounts don’t tend to be as deep as those offered by AT&T but T-Mobile’s rates also start out lower.

T-Mobile marches to their own drummer and are not in the practice of price matching every other offer from every other carrier. If you can get a better deal from AT&T or Verizon, go for it! I would. T-Mobile has all the business they can handle (and more) at this time. Their big issue is network congestion and the engineers can’t upgrade towers fast enough to keep up. Frankly, they don’t really need more customers right now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

your company would need to be the one to try and negotiate a better deal..not you as one of their employees.

The AT&T ads is up in the employee discount website. So the deal is done.

Userlevel 1
Badge

There’s a bar in Alaska that has the slogan, “We cheat the other guy and pass the savings to you.”  AT&T’s practice for a long time has been to publish very high “rack rates” and then offer “special discounts” to everyone and his brother. Some of these discounts are really good, provided you qualify. OTOH, T-Mobile offers reasonable rates to everyone with a few discounts offered to select groups (e.g. 55+, Military, etc.) These discounts don’t tend to be as deep as those offered by AT&T but T-Mobile’s rates also start out lower.

T-Mobile marches to their own drummer and are not in the practice of price matching every other offer from every other carrier. If you can get a better deal from AT&T or Verizon, go for it! I would. T-Mobile has all the business they can handle (and more) at this time. Their big issue is network congestion and the engineers can’t upgrade towers fast enough to keep up. Frankly, they don’t really need more customers right now.

Good to know. All things have their expiration date. Maybe T-mobile and my family and friend’s relation have expired.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The bits you highlighted are “IMHO”. T-Mobile would never admit that they are growing too fast. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The rep must have decided you already made up your mind and decided to help other customers in queue.

Plus All those add ons like HBO Max doesn't cost AT&T anything since they own HBO. While Tmobile has to pay for Netflix.

Also look for all the hidden fees when you switch to AT&T like the $45 upgrade fees and other line charges.

Thanks for the heads up. I called AT&T with the company promo code. They would waived all the upgrade / activation fee.

“Or maybe I did not serve T-mobile well in the last 6 years? Or this customer is just too difficult?”

I have been a loyal T-Mobile customer for some time as well. After getting off to a rough start when I originally switched from AT&T, and many misteps by T-Mobile, I have received good customer service every since. I am outraged over recent experiiences and the way I am being treated. I have spent too much time trying to fight for what I have alrady paid for, and what I am owed. Now I am thinking the money that I am out, is worth more to T-Mobile than the loyalty of a good customer over time.