Question

T-Mobile's McAfee sign up page requires that you supply SSN and DOB

• 22 August 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

Requiring T-Mobile’s victims of ID theft to supply their SSN and DOB to enroll in McAfee’s ID Theft protection seems to be adding to the injury.  Why is this necessary just to enroll?  For enrollment purposes McAfee can verify our identity with our email or with a code delivered by text message to our T-Mobile line.  I don’t want to supply my DOB and SSN on a sign up web form.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So they can monitor your account. If they don't have that information it's pretty much useless to have.

BTW Lifelock requires the same information.

Badge

I can see having the option to add the DOB and/or SSN info once my McAfee account is set up, but it should not be required for initial enrollment purposes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

They need to know who you are. You eventually are going to give it to them if you want full protection.

It's like applying for a credit card on line. You just hope that the website is encrypted.

Badge

After entering in all that’s asked for and then hit the continue button I get a security warning on a big red screen saying “This site has been reported as unsafe” in MS Edge and it stops at this point.

also have problems that MS security says site is phishing site. Tmobile is not to be trusted.

I’m having the same issue.  I enter the required info, click the button and get a big red screen on microsoft edge saying that I was going to a reported phishing site and that they’ve blocked the site.

Badge

They need to know who you are. You eventually are going to give it to them if you want full protection.

It's like applying for a credit card on line. You just hope that the website is encrypted.

I just hope they store the data encrypted. If tmo engineering had properly managed our data in the first place this thread wouldn't exist. It should be a felony to store PII in an unencrypted state. Why these things continue to happen after so many examples of poorly managed data have been publicized is completely mind-boggling.  

It’s all meaningless anyway. After you get an account set up with McAfee, they will randomly lock

your account and provide NO means of getting it unlocked [no, not a too many bad logins]. On contacting T-Mobile, they will connect you to McAfee who will say they will fix it by sending you an e-mail. That never happens [no, not in spam] so your account will be permanently locked out with no recourse. Wasted an hour on this this morning.

At this point, should the T-Mobile data breach result in any issues, we’ll be forced to file suit. I think what we’ll have to do is file suit to get T-Mobile to pay for a data protection service that actually exists.

How in the bloody hell does McAfee stay in business?

I’m not comfortable giving my SSN and other personal details, particularly in a web form. it feels vulnerable. Also, who knows how they’ll use my data in the future after the two years protection is up. Furthermore, will i get pestered to continue to pay a subscription after the two year protection ends? (I already get extremely annoying pop-ups from their security software on my computer all the time. I do not trust such a company)