Question

tax exempt

• 4 November 2021
  • 18 replies

Badge

In my State, Oklahoma I am a veteran with tax exemption. It is illegal for a company who does business in state to charge sales tax for those of us with the tax card. I have had nothing but a run around trying to setup up my account to be tax exempt.

I even went to a corporate store which I can purchase things tax free but they have no idea how to make online purchases tax exempt. I have spent hours on chat support with them having no idea how to do it. 

The best I got so far is that I'll have to wait till my order ships and contact someone somewhere somehow and maybe get a bill credit. The problem is, as I said above it is illegal for a company who does business in Oklahoma to charge sales tax so getting a bill credit after the fact is not the same or legal.

I have been with almost every other cell carrier they all have a simple process to fill out a form and all purchases in store and online do not charge tax.

Same goes for every business but T-Mobile! With T-Mobile it seems no one has a clue, ability or the very knowledge to correct this.

I think my only option will be to file a complaint with the state tax commission. Maybe just maybe that will get TMobile to get a clue.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Online purchases are processed through Washington State.  By your own definition, tax examption only applies to purchases made by online services that are based within your state.  

Badge

I should clarify it is any business that does any business in Oklahoma no matter what State they are from.

If it was only tax for Washington they would not need to know your address to estimate the taxes they charge. Online businesses send the tax collected to the state of purchase.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the site here is primarily peer to peer with some TMO moderation to keep the site itself in order only..they do not have account access.

Badge

But maybe someone could send me to the correct place to get help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

another customer might know the answer..but unfortunately the only methods of getting a hold of TMO are calling in, chat which isnt always there depending on how backed up they are or through either Facebook or Twitter..

you might even look up another corporate store in the area that is NOT the one you went to. call them and ask them the same question. someones gotta know what needs to be done

I am a vet also with tax exemption.  I was given an email FS.Tax.Support@t-mobile.com that went to a blackhole.  This is the chat I had on Facebook, I would be more than happy to help you get that tax exemption request! Right now, our best option for you to send us that request is through fax. Here are the details you need: Fax: 1-813-353-6200.  So, I will now go to a tag agency and see if they can send a old fashioned fax.

Badge

I am a vet also with tax exemption.  I was given an email FS.Tax.Support@t-mobile.com that went to a blackhole.  This is the chat I had on Facebook, I would be more than happy to help you get that tax exemption request! Right now, our best option for you to send us that request is through fax. Here are the details you need: Fax: 1-813-353-6200.  So, I will now go to a tag agency and see if they can send a old fashioned fax.

I tried sending to that email also but it a dead link. I'm going to try faxing also, hopefully it works! It is nuts that TMobile is the only company I've found that doesn't easily comply to our state law. 

I had Verizon, at&t, others and all it took was going to the store or they have a link online to setup. Also it has never been so hard for any online company I've done business with online to easily get sales taxes removed.

Maybe we should write Oklahoma tax commission and write a complaint.

Can a vendor refuse to accept the card and charge me sales tax?

No, A law effective in August 2006 requires vendors to accept this Veterans Exemption Card.

If a vendor refuses, you can get a refund of the tax.

Download form 13-9 "Application for Credit or Refund of State and Local Sales or Use Tax." 

Complete the form, attach copies of your receipts and mail to: 

Oklahoma Tax Commission

Account Maintenance Division

P. O. Box 269060

Oklahoma City, OK 73126-9060

Downloads: Form 13-9 Application for Credit or Refund of State and Local Sales or Use Tax

Form 13-37 Notification of Denial of Exemption (this is the form to fill out of they don't fix this.}

Badge

Also thank you for the info

Also thank you for the info

You are welcome.  I am faxing mine today.  I will let you know if I have any luck.  I had a really hard time getting Ebay to accept it also.  Pretty much sent them an email stating that I was going to notify the State of Oklahoma that they were refusing to follow the law.

Not sure if you had any luck but I didn’t.  I ended up sending them a message on Facebook where they asked me to give them a few days to look into the issue.  So, today they message me and say that they can’t do tax exempt for online order but assured me that it was in their system and I could go to the store to buy a phone.  I went to the Norman store on 24th and waited awhile to be seen.  I told them what I wanted and the promptly told me that the Iphone 13 was sold out in the store and I could order one….but they wouldn’t take off the taxes because it would not ship from Oklahoma.  What does that matter?  I bought phones online from Sprint before with no problem before I moved over to Tmobile.  I buy stuff from Amazon and other out of state orders with no problem.  The employee acted like I was the problem and smirked at me.  Yep, nothing like waiting, being lied to and wasting my time.  I drove across the street to ATT and they seemed to have no problem giving me tax exemption even though it was sold out and they had to order it.  I guess TMobile doesn’t care to lose business and doesn’t care about disabled vets with tax exemption in Oklahoma.

In my State, Oklahoma I am a veteran with tax exemption. It is illegal for a company who does business in state to charge sales tax for those of us with the tax card. I have had nothing but a run around trying to setup up my account to be tax exempt.

I even went to a corporate store which I can purchase things tax free but they have no idea how to make online purchases tax exempt. I have spent hours on chat support with them having no idea how to do it. 

The best I got so far is that I'll have to wait till my order ships and contact someone somewhere somehow and maybe get a bill credit. The problem is, as I said above it is illegal for a company who does business in Oklahoma to charge sales tax so getting a bill credit after the fact is not the same or legal.

I have been with almost every other cell carrier they all have a simple process to fill out a form and all purchases in store and online do not charge tax.

Same goes for every business but T-Mobile! With T-Mobile it seems no one has a clue, ability or the very knowledge to correct this.

I think my only option will be to file a complaint with the state tax commission. Maybe just maybe that will get TMobile to get a clue.

Hello Vet 5081  did you ever find the correct e/mail to send in Tax Certifiate as I too have been trying to submit as the one listed comes back as interneal email only

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Online purchases are treated as purchases made in the State of Washington.  When you connect to T-Mobile’s online site to purchase anything, that site is based and hosted in Washington State, which means, your tax exemption does not apply.  

I am also a Disabled Vet with Oklahoma sales tax exemption.  How do I get this message to T-Mobile to remove sales  tax?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am also a Disabled Vet with Oklahoma sales tax exemption.  How do I get this message to T-Mobile to remove sales  tax?

You don't, because online transactions are all handled in Washington State.  In-store transactions might be able to remove the sales tax with Veteran ID.

Your wrong taxes are applied to the state where your computer was sitting at the time you ordered the product; it could be processed in Egypt and it doesnt matter the state; in this case Oklahoma wants their tax money with the exceptionn of 100% disabled vets. 

Today, 10/4/23 i had the same exact tax exempt issue of T-mobile not accept my state tax exempt card when paying on my prepaid T-mobile account. The sales associates although extremely polite had no clue and recommended I call 611 which is T-mobile customer service. Low and behold same issue with them, customer service had no idea how to apply or accept my state tax exempt status, and they recommended and I quote "you can contact your countries state department and ask them". Of course the customer service representative was in another country as well, the Philippines to be exact as I recognized her accent and ask her specifically where she was located. She was quite polite as well, but no one at t-mobile seems to be knowledgeable enough to resolve such an easy issue. 

So go on Oklahoma Tax website and file complaint. It took Dell about 3 hours to contact me. 

Appreciate the info, is there a specific area to file the complaint??. I looked and didn't see a " complaint " section or anything close