Text messages are randomly delayed by up to a day

• 28 April 2020
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 3

I've been seeing this off and on for months in group texts mostly, but also in direct texts as well. The problem is that text messages are often delayed by up to 24 hours and then dumped all at once into my phone. This is looking to be a TMobile issue. I'm on an iPhone 11 Pro with the latest version of iOS. To sum up:

• This is only with text messages, not iMessage or other messaging apps.
  • This happens when I have a good signal and a wifi connection in my house, but it has also happened when I'm out and have only cellular, but still a good signal.
  • The other people in group chats are spread across numerous different carriers. None of them have reported this.
  • The usual phone troubleshooting steps (quit the Messages application, restart the phone, etc) do absolutely nothing.
  • I checked the activity logs in my TMobile account. The text messages in question all came through at the same time according to the logs. It looks like it's somehow getting delayed inside of TMobile's system.

I've missed some texts due to this that were relatively time-sensitive. I don't think I need to express my frustration at something as old and dead-simple as SMS/MMS getting screwed up like this.

It also doesn't help my frustration when the browser based Places/Topics Browser is hopelessly broken and the page I'm using to write this keeps auto-scrolling down when I interact with a number of elements on the page.

36 replies

After years as a relatively happy TMo customer, this started happening to me in the last month or so. Texts arrive in the middle of the night. Trying the 3G switch.

For what it’s worth, I’m also experiencing these same issue. Not receiving texts, and not receiving calls with no notifications about missed calls. I had the issue pretty consistently for about a month then T-Mobile said they resolved something on their end and it stopped happening, and now it’s happening again but much worse this time. I’ve missed significantly more calls and texts. I noticed an uptick in issues around 12/23 and it’s gotten worse since then. I’ve spoken to several different magenta team members and have not gotten any resolution yet. I’ve already started searching for a new plan on a new network. This is ridiculous.

I was only having this issue with some websites that use text messages for two factor authentication. Messages would take ten minutes or longer.

Maybe it’s coincidence, but turning off LTE did make a message from okta show up in seconds.

Same issue. I cannot find any resolution. It’s been weeks / months

I think this T Mobile’s way of saying that it doesn’t need our business and by not responding to this thread is telling us to go to AT&T. 

Here is a link to AT & T’s website; https://www.att.com/ Their family plan is the SAME cost as T-Mobiles and you get much, much better coverage and customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Same issue. I cannot find any resolution. It’s been weeks / months

I think this T Mobile’s way of saying that it doesn’t need our business and by not responding to this thread is telling us to go to AT&T. 

Here is a link to AT & T’s website; https://www.att.com/ Their family plan is the SAME cost as T-Mobiles and you get much, much better coverage and customer service.

they dont respond to this thread because the site itself is peer to peer assistance..there are a few moderators and an admin that keep order in here but thats about it..need them to look into something you will need to call them or contact their T-Force team via Facebook or Twitter.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I thought that my randomly delayed message issue was related specifically to the email-to-text service (because those are just about the only SMS messages I ever get - and I get a few dozen a day), but you guys are describing pretty close to the behavior I've been seeing since late April, even before I swapped my Sprint SIM card for the T-Mobile SIM card on May 31st.

in my case, it appears that only individual messages are delayed. For example, say 1 SMS was too long and was broken up into 4 parts: the first part could be delayed over 24 hours and the other 3 I get nearly immediately! And when I receive the delayed messages, I get them 1 at a time, not in a dump.

Then, Tuesday almost 2 weeks ago, all of my SMS messages originating from email-to-sms completely stopped and the emails started bouncing back with the error “sender rejected”. It can from a spam filter server: Cloudfilter.net. I googled them. They're a spam filter service that contract with large companies to filter spam for the client company’s customers.

I'd be willing to bet they're the source of the issue. I'd also be curious to know if those of you who are affected experience this problem because you receive a lot of frequent messages (which is perhaps a factor in spam determination).

I had this problem…  My SMS messages were delayed for up to 24 hours.  I’m running an iPhone X with iOS 15.5.  I had already tried rebooting my phone, and reseating my SIM card.

I called T-Mobile technical support, and she had me “Reset my Network Settings” on my iPhone, and things started working again.  Warning, the steps below will require you to re-login to your WiFi network(s) and reconnect any Bluetooth devices.

Here’s how she “Reset my Network Settings”:

1. Go to Settings > General > “Transfer or Reset iPhone” (at the bottom).
  2. Select “Reset”, then pick the 2nd option…   “Reset Network Settings”.
  3. The phone will reboot, and then you’re ready to go!

Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s not the issue. The emails are bouncing back from a specific email address. Other email addresses get through, so it’s not a network settings issue. This is happening server-side. That specific email address of mine is being blocked by a spam filtering service that T-Mobile contracts out to markmonitor.com. You can tell because of the content of the bounced back email, which references the rejecting server (ending in cloudfilter.net, owned by markmonitor.com). Their website explains that they are a spam filtering service. And T-Mobile has a page that explains their new spam filtering.

I am having this problem as of May 3, 2023.  I am a pet carer with Rover and have texts set up as a backup to requests via the app.  If I’m not next to my phone I may miss a request which in turn takes away my chance at a job.  

Any chance anyone else is having the same problem?

I’ve been having the same issue for about a month to a month and a half… I’ve had the same phone since 2021(Note 10+). I need to upgrade anyways, so tomorrow I’ll be going in and changing out phones and requesting a new sim card. Hopefully they can transfer my old number to the new sim card. But this issue has made me miss ALOT of time sensitive messages. It’s mainly texts and calls it’s effecting. But I’ve tried everything even a factory reset with no luck.

I’m based in Hempfield with office in Lititz PA.

This has been getting worse over the last 2 months. The Lititz office is on wifi with excellent signal. BUT BUT   we’re not getting calls, or they’re delayed by hours up to 24hrs. Txt messages come through hours later.

We’re losing business because of this.
I’m signed up for the T-Mobile equipment / tower updates -- so any daily issue updates that I’m beginning to feel it’s time to find a more reliable carrier.