Question

theft of personal data

• 20 August 2021
  • 23 replies

Badge

Has anyone heard anything from T-Mobile about the massive security breach - due to the company’s extreme carelessness - causing theft of customers’ data? I have learned about this only from news media reports, not from the company itself despite my being a customer of theirs for the past 6 years.  I was really surprised that even when logging onto my T-Mobile account online, the website has absolutely no reference to this incident let alone any advice on what customers should do.  Is there any way to determine whether I am one of the 40 million customers whose data was stolen? Besides changing my account PIN and password which I already did (due to advice given in newspaper articles, nothing from T-Mobile itself), what else can I do to keep safe? 

23 replies

Ditto. And this silence towards customers is from a COMMUNICATIONS company??!?

Think I smell a class-action lawsuit brewing---

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Has anyone heard anything from T-Mobile about the massive security breach - due to the company’s extreme carelessness - causing theft of customers’ data? I have learned about this only from news media reports, not from the company itself despite my being a customer of theirs for the past 6 years.  I was really surprised that even when logging onto my T-Mobile account online, the website has absolutely no reference to this incident let alone any advice on what customers should do.  Is there any way to determine whether I am one of the 40 million customers whose data was stolen? Besides changing my account PIN and password which I already did (due to advice given in newspaper articles, nothing from T-Mobile itself), what else can I do to keep safe? 

you mean this?

https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/data-breach-2021

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

forgot to add that technically they posted about it in here on the 16th..didnt have a whole lot of info in it since the whole ordeal was quite new and they were still scrambling to try and figure out what happened..

which was here https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/cybersecurity-incident-update-august-2021

which then pushed to the more detailed one a few days later in the link i provided in the previous post

not justifying for them..just putting the info out there that I am aware of

Badge

Thanks for the link.  For some reason it is not visible anywhere when I log on to my T-Mobile account.  Even a search using terms like “customer data stolen” and “data breach” came up with nothing.  Probably just bad site design.  Also in the newspaper articles I read T-Mobile officials were quoted saying that they were contacting the customers whose data was affected.  Since I haven’t received any message from them does that mean I was one of the lucky ones, not part of the breach? Besides venting, part of the reason for this post was to see if any other customers had heard from them directly.  

I haven’t heard from a human about this but I was proactively texted by them to be informed that my account was among the affected.

Ironically I received this SMS was I was researching the latest news about this data breach. (This is the 5th one in 3 years btw, reason enough to kick t-mo to the curb and seek alternatives.)

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some of your information, or others on your account, has occurred, like name, address, phone number and DOB. Importantly, we have NO information that indicates your SSN, personal financial or payment information, credit/debit card information, account numbers, or account passwords were accessed. We take the protection of our customers seriously. Learn more about practices that keep your account secure and general recommendations for protecting yourself: t-mo.co/Protect

Most current information from them about the breach I think is here:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/additional-information-regarding-2021-cyberattack-investigation

i just got a text telling me i on the list.  oh well shit happens - i wasn’t aware of the past instances though

i agree they should have on their site but they probably don’t want to scare away potential new customers so they did it this way.  good luck opening a credit account under my info at this point anyway.  it would have been nice for people logging in to the site to tell them what happened instead of a separate site which made me suspicious - its not clear if they are giving scam guard premium for free or if it is just the basic version - would like to know 

you mean this?

https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/data-breach-2021

Thanks for this link. I never received any notification either nor any announcement when I logged in to my account just minutes before reading this string, and was pretty annoyed too. Still super annoyed but at least the protective services they offer through the link you shared are simple to activate.

Thanks for the link.  For some reason it is not visible anywhere when I log on to my T-Mobile account.  Even a search using terms like “customer data stolen” and “data breach” came up with nothing.  Probably just bad site design.  Also in the newspaper articles I read T-Mobile officials were quoted saying that they were contacting the customers whose data was affected.  Since I haven’t received any message from them does that mean I was one of the lucky ones, not part of the breach? Besides venting, part of the reason for this post was to see if any other customers had heard from them directly.  

I've not heard a peep. Just read it in the news 20 minutes ago. Grrr.

I received a text message, immediately went to my t-mobile app to change my password and alas was unable to do so as the app consistently “timed out”. Over 24 hours since receiving the message, I resorted to the web to change my info. Going back to another carrier 

I happen to call customer service to inform them of a change to my account. And to my surprise, the information had already been changed. Not by me. Cannot wait to get the return call! I just found out about the data breach by scrolling thru the app. Horrible customer service. How do you know if the hackers have my information and what is T-Mobile doing for their customers?

Just got the text tonight as well. Tried calling many times but NA. Account protection online is NA too.  Stopped by the shop but no one there was helpful either. Changed my PW. Any other tips?

Badge

Now I have gotten that same text message below, came late Friday evening.  I wonder if someone is monitoring the posts here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah their site is a bit odd when it comes to stuff like this..

an add on for those wanting to jump to another carrier..att was just hit a couple days ago with the same thing..

My debit card was compromised and I’m wondering if it was from this data breach???

Badge

Contact fair shake if they don’t give you any resolution then credit protection after the leak 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My debit card was compromised and I’m wondering if it was from this data breach???

is your credit card linked to TMO?

This is not the first one.  Private data is leaked again first time was 2015

Their “security” was weak and easily compromised

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is not the first one.  Private data is leaked again first time was 2015

Their “security” was weak and easily compromised

2015 was a bad year for Experian also (just in case you think your information is safe with the credit reporting agencies).

Those of your who were involved in the data breach may want to take some of these step to protect yourself from identity theft.  Freezing your credit reports is free and keeps others from opening lines of credit in your name.  I signed up for T-mobile through Sprint, but I have yet to hear a definitive answer as to our status in the data breach.  Sprint chat is useless and they read a boiler plate to you that the “investigation is on-going”.  It would be nice if T-mobile would let their Sprint postpaid customers know one way or the other if we are involved.  https://www.consumerreports.org/data-theft/t-mobile-data-breach-what-to-do-a7157173229/

So was mine. Money was taken from my account and am having a devil of a time trying to get my money back. It came from a “Third Party” according to the number they left my bank. This 3rd party jumped into a call I was on. (I heard whispers in the background.)  When I called the number after I saw the deduction from my account, (for a product I never ordered nor received) they said they would refund 20%.  I said NO, you will refund 100%.  Then they said 60%. I said NO 100%.  Then I told them it was fraud, and it was fraud against a senior and asked if they knew it could shut their business down.  Also, the product was supposed to be endorsed by a celebrity who I happen to have great respect for and I told them I would be filing a report . . . . . to which they said “we’ll send you a check for the full refund IF you promise not to file a complaint”.. . . I may be a senior citizen, but I ain’t stupid.  But T-mobile needs to step up and claim their part of this.  I’ve been a customer for over 10 years.

Badge

Not only was my card compromised for over a $1100 of flight and AirB&B charges, this week someone walked into a T-mobile store on Flatbush Ave. in New York (I live in the DMV area) and changed my SIM reference number.

It took me a while to figure out why I couldn’t make or receive calls. I couldn’t even use T-mobile’s 611 to get hold of them.  I had to use my house phone to call, which of course meant waiting for about 20 minutes on endless T-mobile commercials.  I also texted them.  Thank goodness the call was answered eventually.  After some cycles talking to a service rep who couldn’t verify my identity via sending me a text (Note: you can’t receive texts either once your SIM card reference is compromised). 

Luckily my email service was still intact.  At this point me and the rep were still bewildered.  She then escalated to a network guy who was quick in identifying the issue.  He even sent me a store receipt of someone with my name authorizing the SIM card switch and paying $10 in cash from the Flatbush store.

Needless to say the alarm bells went off.  To his credit he call the store manager immediately.  The store sales rep was not working that day, but he assured me that this was a significant issue and would generate an investigation.  He also reversed the SIM card change and I was once again able to make and receive calls.  I was also assured that there didn’t seem to be any extra charges to my account.

From the credit card compromise, and the subsequent need to be issued a new card, I still continue to receive notices from creditors that my registered card is failing.  It’s difficult to remember all of my automatic payments.  The monthly ones were easier than the annual ones,  of course.  I received a mildly threatening one the other day that hinted that although I have been a good customer for a million years, I should fix the problem quickly and not to bother returning the shipped severed horse head and pillow.

To make matters worse, yesterday I received a T-mobile survey wanting to capture my experience at their T-mobile store.  I tried giving them a big fat “0” and explaining why, but they persisted in questioning me further.  No matter my responses, they thanked me for taking the time.

Beyond the apologies, my expectation from T-Mobile is simple.  Offer me one of those iPhone 13 models and six months credit and I’ll continue to be your grateful customer for another 17 years.  Is that really too much to ask for? :)

Got my credit card use only for Tmobile payment hacked, last payment on 1st week of Sept. Found out today CC company declined a fraudulent charges at a website I don’t buy stuff at. Found the McAfee claim link, put in my email and phone #. Got a message saying number already submitted, even though this is my first time did. Call TMobile rep, said I have to call McAfee at 1-855-223-8057 to figure this out. Conveniently McAfee is having ‘technical difficulties’ and asked me to call them back in 1 hour and then hang up on me. I’ve been TMobile customer for years but it seems it is time to change to Verizon. Dealing with 1 incompetent company is stressful enough, now dealing with 2 incompetent companies (TMobile and McAfee) is a deal breaker. 

Badge

Got my credit card use only for Tmobile payment hacked...

Welcome to the club.  Shortly after getting my money back from the bank and after being issued a new card it happened again.  My SIM ID was once again changed to ensure I wouldn’t see bank charges.  By the time T-mobile reversed the change and locked it like they promised they would do the first time, my checking account balance was $500 in the red!  Of course the bank locked down my account, so I’m still waiting to see how much damage was done.  I completely hold T-Mobile responsible for allowing someone to manipulate my phone settings.  I too have to deal with the incompetence of T-Mobile and Citibank.