Solved

TMobile Digits: Why are secret questions required for login?

• 4 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Every time my computer reboots- and many times even when it doesn't- I open my T-Mobile Digits software and it forces me to not only login with my email address / password, and then to enter the answers to my two security questions. Its so inconvenient, its ludicrous. I've had to remember my 3rd grade teacher's lastname and childhood phone number probably 30 times in the last two weeks. This bloated user experience would not pass muster with any serious software company. What other serious website requires this level of security? If its good enough to sign me in to Gmail, with a decade of sensitive emails and hangouts conversatons, plus documents, hosting, and dozens of other connected services, why isn't it good enough for T-Mobile?

At least make it an OPTION not a requirement to have this multi-factor security. Its truly making this tool completely unusable.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 7 August 2019, 17:24

@magenta9378678

We greatly appreciate you feedback on this! Since digits is session based, a fresh login is required whenever the instance is closed. I will be sure to pass this feedback to our devs though as I totally understand how this can be frustrating.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This can happen when you are logging in from an international location, when you clear your browser history, or if your browser blocks cookies. 

Userlevel 5

@magenta9378678

We greatly appreciate you feedback on this! Since digits is session based, a fresh login is required whenever the instance is closed. I will be sure to pass this feedback to our devs though as I totally understand how this can be frustrating.

It can (and does) also happen when I do none of those things.

By the way, T-Mobile Digits has been down for three days- i haven't been able to sign in even when armed with my mother's maiden name and my 3rd grade teacher's favorite cereal. And I found several other show-stopping bugs since my original post. Every time I get a new message, it flags an earlier conversation thread as unread.

Also, why did my username change from Magenta9378678 to my actual real name. T-Mobile software is so bloated and unreliable that its actually doxing me on the internet. Good riddance.

@tmo_mike

Hey @magenta9378678​, your real name isn't showing up for us regular users (at least not for me and not on this thread), if that makes you feel better.

I agree that having to use the security question every time for every instance is excessive - even checking the "remember me" box does nothing.  Seems like these should only be required for first time log-in on a device or for long times between log ins.

Also, if your non-working DIGITS app is for a computer (I'm having the same problem on Windows PCs), check out this threat that may provide more info: https://support.t-mobile.com/message/690094#690094​.

BTW, what is your 3rd grade teacher's favorite cereal?  I'm looking to change brands...