Solved

Tmobile is blocking my messages sent to customers

• 14 October 2020
  • 45 replies

Badge

Hi, I have a service that reminds people to move their car on street sweeping days (dontfearthesweeper (dot) com). It sends a text message the night before your street sweeping. Everyone I send messages to signed up for the service, and they have the option to stop getting messages at any time.

It has come to my attention that tmobile is blocking my messages. As far as I can tell tmobile is the only carrier that blocks the messages. How do I fix this situation?

I spoke with several people in customer support. I heard over and over again that I had to be a tmobile customer to get support on this issue. So I’ve bought a tmobile account just to get help with this. I’ve confirmed on my new tmobile phone number that my messages are being blocked. The first message went through, but after that the rest of the messages were blocked.

The messages are being sent through a normal (not short code) phone number with twilio. I’m sure they’re following all the appropriate procedures. I’ve seen people mention needing to use a short code phone number which is prohibitively expensive (1000’s of dollars per year) for a service I provide for free.

@srickar, I saw that you were able to help other people with similar problems. Can you help me here?

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 21 June 2022, 23:45

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

willing to bet its being viewed as spam texts if it is being sent to a ton of people at once. are you able to limit down how many people it gets sent to at once?

Badge

willing to bet its being viewed as spam texts if it is being sent to a ton of people at once. are you able to limit down how many people it gets sent to at once?

It’s almost certainly being viewed as spam. But only by tmobile. Which tells me the tmobile spam detecter is a bit more trigger happy than other carriers.

I can spread out the messages a bit, but not much. I doubt that spreading them out by a few seconds will help much.

I can try to add random strings and stuff in there. As it is now each message is the same. But I’d really just like to know how I’m supposed to be doing this to be in tmobile’s good graces. If I come up with some hacky fix, I’ll just be constantly worrying that my messages will be blocked again. 

I may have to just put a warning on the website that says “this service doesn’t work on tmobile. sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi, I have a service that reminds people to move their car on street sweeping days (dontfearthesweeper (dot) com). It sends a text message the night before your street sweeping. Everyone I send messages to signed up for the service, and they have the option to stop getting messages at any time.

It has come to my attention that tmobile is blocking my messages. As far as I can tell tmobile is the only carrier that blocks the messages. How do I fix this situation?

I spoke with several people in customer support. I heard over and over again that I had to be a tmobile customer to get support on this issue. So I’ve bought a tmobile account just to get help with this. I’ve confirmed on my new tmobile phone number that my messages are being blocked. The first message went through, but after that the rest of the messages were blocked.

The messages are being sent through a normal (not short code) phone number with twilio. I’m sure they’re following all the appropriate procedures. I’ve seen people mention needing to use a short code phone number which is prohibitively expensive (1000’s of dollars per year) for a service I provide for free.

@srickar, I saw that you were able to help other people with similar problems. Can you help me here?

I’m taking care of this right now. I must say the domain is very amusing and creative! It’s flagging for a combination of issues: collocated with Amazon AWS with 5k other domains, registrar to Namecheap (poor reputation with DGA generated domains), and inserting both URL and email address in message body. (double whammy). Otherwise, you are following proper protocol with Twilio A2P messaging. 

I’ll have the vendor reputation resolved in a few hours. Thanks! 

Badge

I’m taking care of this right now. I must say the domain is very amusing and creative! It’s flagging for a combination of issues: collocated with Amazon AWS with 5k other domains, registrar to Namecheap (poor reputation with DGA generated domains), and inserting both URL and email address in message body. (double whammy). Otherwise, you are following proper protocol with Twilio A2P messaging. 

I’ll have the vendor reputation resolved in a few hours. Thanks! 

I can see how having an email and url in the message body could indicate potential spam.

Thanks for your help. And I’m glad you found the domain name amusing : )

hey @srickar - I am having a similar problem with a domain as outlined above. Can I DM you or share more information here to determine how to get the domain whitelisted?

@srickar I wanted to follow up to see if I can get some help. I have a domain (myamc.co) that when being sent out is being blocked by t-mobile. I can send the domain to anyone that is not on t-mobile and if I change the domain to myamc.com it works but we would like to keep the same domain. Can you help on the vendor reputation on this as you did others above ^^ ? 

Any help is appreciated.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar I wanted to follow up to see if I can get some help. I have a domain (myamc.co) that when being sent out is being blocked by t-mobile. I can send the domain to anyone that is not on t-mobile and if I change the domain to myamc.com it works but we would like to keep the same domain. Can you help on the vendor reputation on this as you did others above ^^ ? 

Any help is appreciated.

Certainly. I checked and have prior emails on this from June and September 21st. For clarity, can you please indicate how messages are always sent?

Are they sent entirely through commercial messaging short code aggregators like Twilio or OpenMarket? I do see simultaneously sending additional messages from individual 10 digit lines from T-Mobile or other carriers which is out of compliance. When 10 digit lines (P2P), send bulk repetitive content, influences policy block, because 10 digit lines are interfering with the commercial pathway.

Also, these are mortgage related messages hosted with a link to download the mortgage app. The shortener URL has registrar NameCheap.com, which has a very poor spam reputation and is causing additional flagging. There was an IP 192.xxx that was previously associated to NameCheap, using thousands of DGA domains.  When messages outside of commercial messages are rated, it results in IP blacklisting because the messages are not all originating from the commercially sanctioned gateway.

For the SMS messages from Twilio, those messages would likely not get flagged for the antispam policy IF they would route entirely through commercial messaging path. Send me a D.M. and we can discuss this further to explain the A2P vs. P2P messaging policies as defined by CTIA. https://api.ctia.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/190719-CTIA-Messaging-Principles-and-Best-Practices-FINAL.pdf

Hello @srickar - I am having a similar as everyone above. I DM’ed you to see if it’s possible to get my domain whitelisted.

Thank you.

@srickar -- having a similar issue with twilio blocking, but with some additional complexity. DM’ing you...

Hi @srickar, we are also experiencing this same issue where SMS sent from our (A2P messaging) application using Twilio is being blocked for T-Mobile users (but not for Verizon or AT&T users). We are similarly on Namecheap, use AWS, send via Twilio, and have a URL in our message. We sent you a DM with further details. Thanks for your help in advance!

@srickar  my company also has the same issue. we send out marketing sms via user’s phones and our mobile app. ONLY t-mobile is blocking the Juuva.biz url links in the messages. We’ve reached out several times to t-mobile and someone always promises to “get back” but doesn’t.  Can you help clear that domain so sms will go through?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar  my company also has the same issue. we send out marketing sms via user’s phones and our mobile app. ONLY t-mobile is blocking the Juuva.biz url links in the messages. We’ve reached out several times to t-mobile and someone always promises to “get back” but doesn’t.  Can you help clear that domain so sms will go through?

@n8bob Please send me a D.M. But based on what your indicating, no 10 digit line is sanctioned by FCC TCPA or CTIA guidelines to send marketing messages to other recipients. Based on the description, you’re likely sending marketing activity which needs to comply with TCPA by using an opt-in subscription method from an automated subscription service.

This not only applies to T-Mobile, but all carrier networks.

An individual liable phone cannot represent as a subscription based operator. What you’re likely seeking is a shortcode or 10DLC solution where recipients can freely opt-in/out of content using an A2P sanctioned aggregator for commercial messaging. Many aggregators that have connection points to various carriers have separate overhead connections for bulk traffic. 10 digit lines sending repetitious content will either get suspended by internal measures, our interconnection points, or the recipient carrier. Plus this type of texting lacks proper routing and protocols.

Please review these resources:

https://support.bandwidth.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500002422242-10DLC-Overview-and-FAQ

https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/a2p-10dlc/onboarding-isv#trust-score-calculation 

https://api.ctia.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/190719-CTIA-Messaging-Principles-and-Best-Practices-FINAL.pdf 

@srickar I have a similar issue.  Can you help? - Email sent from my domain (facrftd dot com) to my t-mobile phone is not getting through.  It’s just tmomail.net, email sent to gmail and verizion are getting through.  I contacted support, but they did not resolve this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar I have a similar issue.  Can you help? - Email sent from my domain (facrftd dot com) to my t-mobile phone is not getting through.  It’s just tmomail.net, email sent to gmail and verizion are getting through.  I contacted support, but they did not resolve this.

Please send me a D.M. so that I can review the situation. Thanks.

Hi - How do I DM?  Could you email me at my email address on my account?  Thanks.

@srickar - I found a link and sent yo a D.M.  Thanks

@srickar I have a similar issue. Texts are coming from a Twilio account and being blocked (from multiple discrete Twilio-associated phone numbers).. Will you be able to help resolve and get the account whitelisted? I have contacted T-Mobile tech support but they are quite delayed in responding / resolving. I’m not sure how to DM, but happy to send you a DM and discuss there. Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar I have a similar issue. Texts are coming from a Twilio account and being blocked (from multiple discrete Twilio-associated phone numbers).. Will you be able to help resolve and get the account whitelisted? I have contacted T-Mobile tech support but they are quite delayed in responding / resolving. I’m not sure how to DM, but happy to send you a DM and discuss there. Thank you!

@lewisburik ,

Have you submitted a case with Twilio? If Twilio has not configured the line yet to be 10DLC, messages will be subjected to antispam filtering. Twilio has a self-imposed deadline of Oct 1st with all CTIA carriers to migrate traditional 10 digit texts to 10DLC sanctioned numbers.

Twilio knows how to engage us directly if they need assistance. If the lines are being filtered, that is a sign the number is not a true 10DLC path. Please see these two links:

https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800720410-What-is-A2P-10DLC-

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/consumer-versus-non-consumer-text-messaging

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You may need to look into a message aggregator service that uses short codes.

@srickar - I am also having the same issue and was wondering if you could please looking into this for me?

I own a company that uses RingCentral for our client communications… The phone# has been around for 40yrs, yet, the texts from our main# (including my own TMobile cell#) are not going through? RingCentral is confirming that they’re sent, but TMobile is blocking them.

I also tried texting my cell# from another RC phone# that I have and it works fine, so any help here? We don’t ever spam and these are only clients are potential clients that we’re engaging with, so this is super frustrating.

Thank you!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar - I am also having the same issue and was wondering if you could please looking into this for me?

I own a company that uses RingCentral for our client communications… The phone# has been around for 40yrs, yet, the texts from our main# (including my own TMobile cell#) are not going through? RingCentral is confirming that they’re sent, but TMobile is blocking them.

I also tried texting my cell# from another RC phone# that I have and it works fine, so any help here? We don’t ever spam and these are only clients are potential clients that we’re engaging with, so this is super frustrating.

Thank you!!

@chislands18 if ringcentral is sending automation based texts by redirecting notifications through consumer email, the recommended industry solution is to send through 10DLC and not by email. Please see https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/consumer-versus-non-consumer-text-messaging 

Text messaging on my account is blocked because I sent a text message to 19 family members asking if they wanted to buy raffle tickets for my son's hockey team. It's now blocked for 10 days and I'm told it can't be unblocked manually. I did not receive any indication, message, letter in the mail, email, nothing to tell me of being blocked or why. I went to the store twice to ask them what the problem was but they couldn't figure it out so I bought a new $1200 phone thinking it was a phone problem. Nope, still wouldn't work on the new one either. Then AFTER I buy the phone they tell me to call tech support. Tech support tells me why it isn't working but nothing I can do. Now no texting plus I dropped $1200 for nothing. Oh, and I'm still paying for the ability to text, but am not getting that service because a computer made an assumption and decided to block me.

Badge

@srickar we need some help with this as well. Can we connect on DM? Any sms msgs with a link to a specific website is being blocked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@srickar we need some help with this as well. Can we connect on DM? Any sms msgs with a link to a specific website is being blocked.

if you are meaning texts from companies to get discounts etc or for them to contact you then you need to contact TMO and have them add short code to your line.

if you are with a company and you are trying to send out mass texts to  your employees and only the TMO ones are not getting it then srickar would be who you would need to contact.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @anantharao 

Sure, would be glad to help. Please send me a DM with details, but please also refer to this guide. https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/consumer-versus-non-consumer-text-messaging 

Thanks,