Question

Tmobile Ran my credit without my consent

• 18 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge

I went to Tmobile store to check on a plan, ask for my last 4 digits of SS #. It was only after I declined the new plan that I was told they pulled my credit. I almost lost it, how could they do that with telling you first?

12 replies

How can they pull your credit with only 4 numbers out of 11?

Userlevel 1

How can they pull your credit with only 4 numbers out of 11?

You have an 11-digit SSN!

Teemobile, are you an existing customer on a postpaid plan?  With existing relationships, permissible purpose for credit pulling is somewhat looser

Badge

Hello, what do you mean by looser? Shouldn't they disclose that they are pulling your credit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My guess is a credit check needed to be done to see if you qualified for the plan.  Your SSN is already on the account.  Asking for the last 4 is just the simple way of verifying who they are talking to.  You gave consent to T-Mobile to do a credit check when you signed up for your service.  If it has been a long time since a credit check has been done.  It can easily be done again with a couple of clicks and might have been required to verify your accounts eligibility for the plan.  They should have told you first, but I don’t think they actually need to tell you.  Running your credit doesn’t impact your credit rating usually.  

Userlevel 1

My guess is a credit check needed to be done to see if you qualified for the plan.  Your SSN is already on the account.  Asking for the last 4 is just the simple way of verifying who they are talking to.  You gave consent to T-Mobile to do a credit check when you signed up for your service.  If it has been a long time since a credit check has been done.  It can easily be done again with a couple of clicks and might have been required to verify your accounts eligibility for the plan.  They should have told you first, but I don’t think they actually need to tell you.  Running your credit doesn’t impact your credit rating usually.  

Right, once you have an existing relationship, the idea is the creditors have a “permissible purpose” to run credit checks without asking and you might have agreed to this deep down inside the terms and conditions when you signed up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I recently bought a house and the mortgage company ran my credit 3 times in a span of 2 months and it didn't affect my credit score until the we signed the loan papers and officially took on debt.

Badge

Banks,mortgage and credit card companies run these types of credit checks, when your asking for credit increase or a different product. They inform you and you consent. I dont understand a phone service running a check on your credit without your consent. If those are your intentions then explain it clearly, not waiting until your about to exit to drop that information on you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Banks,mortgage and credit card companies run these types of credit checks, when your asking for credit increase or a different product. They inform you and you consent. I dont understand a phone service running a check on your credit without your consent. If those are your intentions then explain it clearly, not waiting until your about to exit to drop that information on you.

Yes I know that but I had 5 hard credit checks done and my credit score stayed the same. I didn't get upset about it since they'll drop off down the road.

Badge

The key word is "consent". 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The key word is "consent". 

I'm sure you already provided that consent when you signed up for your service. 

Badge

I didnt sign up for service. If I had I wouldn't be having this conversation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I didnt sign up for service. If I had I wouldn't be having this conversation.

So, you are not a T-Mobile customer?