Question

tmomail.net / pm.sprint.com blocking MMS messages from our domain

Badge
  • First activity
  • 1 reply

Hi,

It looks like as of this past Saturday, automated MMS messages/notifications sent from my company’s systems to our employees who have tmomail.net / pm.sprint.com MMS gateway address are being outright blocked as spam.

examples:

Remote Server returned '554 5.0.0 <[209.222.82.253] #5.0.0 smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 550-'permanent failure for one or more recipients (XXXXXXXXXX@tmomail.net:blocked)' (delivery attempts: 0)>'

Remote Server returned '554 5.0.0 <[209.222.82.255] #5.0.0 smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 550-'permanent failure for one or more recipients (XXXXXXXXXX@pm.sprint.com:blocked)' (delivery attempts: 0)>'

SPF, DMARC, and DKIM all validate for our domain without issue - happy to pass along more details if someone can assist.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

you’ll want to post in this thread for this issue.

Badge

Unfortunately, it looks like that thread has been closed for comments. I’m hoping that this thread will catch @srickar’s eye as I don’t know of another avenue for escalation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Unfortunately, it looks like that thread has been closed for comments. I’m hoping that this thread will catch @srickar’s eye as I don’t know of another avenue for escalation.

It did! I see everything! ;) 

Hi @sjm  Please send me a D.M. with domain and preferably 1 recipient and I can take a look at the issue. Thanks.

@srickar Hi There!  It’s been quite a few months since we’ve had any blocking issues.  This morning we just started getting bounced emails with a new error message we haven’t seen before. 

host
    d79033a.ess.barracudanetworks.com[209.222.82.255] said: 550 permanent
    failure for one or more recipients (512########@tmomail.net:554 rejecting
    banned content) (in reply to end of DATA command)

I don’t think it’s anything about the content because all messages are being blocked and there’s not anything particularly interesting about the content.  It’s just notifications, no links or anything like that. 

Can you help?

Badge

@srickar @fireguy_6364 Hello,

I am having the same issue as I am the only one on my company thread that does not get the alerts- and I am the sole T-Mobile user.  Please help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I am having the same issue as I am the only one on my company thread that does not get the alerts- and I am the sole T-Mobile user.  Please help!

Any chance it is Scam Shield causing the problem?

There is a FIX. We confirmed this issue on our phone. Tested with T-Mobile. Tech found problem is "scam shield" a T-Mobile app. Fix is remove scam shield.Then go to Play store, reinstall.

Badge

Scam Shield is not installed on my phone.  So not the issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Any chance it is Scam Shield causing the problem?

There is a FIX. We confirmed this issue on our phone. Tested with T-Mobile. Tech found problem is "scam shield" a T-Mobile app. Fix is remove scam shield.Then go to Play store, reinstall.

Just wanted to clarify that Scam Shield has no relationship to text filtering. It is strictly a voice product that does not read or analyze text messages. The rep was not correct in this case. Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar @fireguy_6364 Hello,

Email protocol is a publicly listening SMTP interface that requires several types of filtering for several reasons. Email to text will respond to on-demand connection attempts, but that unfortunately attracts unscrupulous spammers who volumetrically flood the interface with email spam. 

Filtering mechanisms are dynamically changing to these threats and can result in certain IP ranges being rejected due to a spam source residing on the same IP range.

There are also additional security measures that we honor based on originating domain security settings such as SPF, DMARC, DKIM. If a sender domain has published DNS security settings, we recognize and enforce those requests to help with spoofing and security. I see it quite often, where one sender domain tries to transmit unauthorized email on behalf of another organization resulting in rejection.

Additionally, any automation based emails that are sent through email to text should refrain from using consumer based email interfaces due to dynamic contingencies with email acceptance.

Please see https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/consumer-versus-non-consumer-text-messaging for solutions on how to send trusted traffic to carrier networks.

I've heard you can send a text by e-mail. What is that route for?

The e-mail to text gateway is a legacy system that may eventually be decommissioned in the future. It is designed for low volume consumer traffic only and cannot handle a significant volume of messages. For that reason, all non-consumer messaging is prohibited on the e-mail to text gateway, and even high volume consumer messaging may be blocked as it can impact the system's ability to handle messages for all customers. If you need to send non-consumer or high volume consumer messaging, please seek out an aggregator as their connections can handle these message volumes.

Hi, I would like to get email attachments to my cellphone email 7037289911@TMOMAIL.NET from my work but they keep getting marked as spam and come as a jpeg and not the audio file.  Can someone please fix that for me.

My cellphone email is 7037289911@TMOMAIL.NET & I’m getting emails from my work Zultys@gi-de.com but instead of the audio file I just get a little picture of a cassette that says Attachment instead of the attached audio file.  Can someone please fix this for me?

I have a Sprint phone & this was never a problem before when I was with Sprint but as soon as I became Tmobile this started happening.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi, I would like to get email attachments to my cellphone email 7037289911@TMOMAIL.NET from my work but they keep getting marked as spam and come as a jpeg and not the audio file.  Can someone please fix that for me.

My cellphone email is 7037289911@TMOMAIL.NET & I’m getting emails from my work Zultys@gi-de.com but instead of the audio file I just get a little picture of a cassette that says Attachment instead of the attached audio file.  Can someone please fix this for me?

I have a Sprint phone & this was never a problem before when I was with Sprint but as soon as I became Tmobile this started happening.

@SJS - Sorry to hear about this. Since notifications are being received, its not being flagged for spam since it’s delivering, just not in the expected format.

Depending on the device type and how messages convert from email to text heavily influence how the attachment is delivered from the email down to the device level. Settings like sending server drafting the message as plain text, html, or mime format can cause message attachments to convert incorrectly. Due to many scenarios, please contact customer support 611 to file a troubleshooting ticket.  

Dear @srickar ,

Could you remove tradingview.com from SPAM filter brother. That is a legitimate trading chart site you all know it :)

I contacted tradingview.com people they say T-Mobile is blocking email to SMS for their email id. The email id is noreply@tradingview.com .

I use to get all the email to SMS from that email id since last 1 week it stopped coming.

Thanks

Laxmi

@srickar 

I work for TMO in Network Technology and am having the same issue. 

I spoke with customer support and they confirmed there is an issue with the SPAM filter implementation that is being worked.  No fix date or internal ticket number was available for the same issue:

• I contacted tradingview.com people they say T-Mobile is blocking email to SMS for their email id. The email id is noreply@tradingview.com .

The last message I received from ‘noreply@tradingview.com’ was on 4/6/2022 which aligns with others per this thread.

Please keep us posted as this is broadly impacting TMO customers and employees… :)

@srickar

I work for TMO in Network Technology and am having the same issue. 

I spoke with customer support and they confirmed there is an issue with the SPAM filter implementation that is being worked.  No fix date or internal ticket number was available for the same issue:

• I contacted tradingview.com people they say T-Mobile is blocking email to SMS for their email id. The email id is noreply@tradingview.com .

The last message I received from ‘noreply@tradingview.com’ was on 4/6/2022 which aligns with others per this thread.

Please keep us posted as this is broadly impacting TMO customers and employees… :)

Yes this is totally unacceptable, you have the address, just unblock it noreply@tradingview.com, from your AI aggregators or whatever broke the system

@srickar Is this currently being worked on? I use trading view regularly and I was originally a sprint customer and just did the switch over to tmobile and now I no longer get tradingview alerts. The alerts come from noreply@tradingview.com and as other said above this seems to be blocked. It is extremely important that I get this working again as soon as possible. Is there any workaround?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@srickar Is this currently being worked on? I use trading view regularly and I was originally a sprint customer and just did the switch over to tmobile and now I no longer get tradingview alerts. The alerts come from noreply@tradingview.com and as other said above this seems to be blocked. It is extremely important that I get this working again as soon as possible. Is there any workaround?

Bulk broadcast notifications are not supported over email to text when massively scaled across a large target audience for multiple reasons (peak on-demand connectivity, spoofing/fraud, TCPA opt-in compliance, source of record, device content rendering compatibility, untrusted html content, TCPA compliance, FCC). Email to text also lacks internal carrier level routing protocols to ensure content follows the subscriber through to the intended carrier for Local Number Portability compliance.

Categorized finance notifications should be delivered over content creator apps using push message. Please see TradingView FAQ about the process. https://www.tradingview.com/support/folders/43000547714-push-notifications/

If Trading View wishes to supplement push notifications with additional text based alerting, they can pursue sending external notifications through approved bulk messaging operators. Bulk delivery methods consist of sending previously verified and trusted content through an API application to deliver templated OPT-IN based content through short code, toll free, or 10DLC. These 3 solutions have the scale and proper bandwidth to handle simultaneous bulk delivery methods.

For more on this topic, please see:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/consumer-versus-non-consumer-text-messaging

Thanks for reaching out.

Dear @srickar  @TMLABS

Neither tradingview broadcasts anything and I never ever received any bulk broadcast notifications from tradingview.com. 

I just get notification email to sms when my stock has hit a goal let say price target. Its all individual phone#.

You support noreply@finviz.com email to sms notification why did you block noreply@tradingview.com email to sms ?

If you guys won’t support this feature then unfortunately tratradingview.com suggesting to move to Verizon or ATT or cheaper ones like Google Voice.

Both Sprint and T-Mobile customers been affected by these excessive SPAM filter. Despite of all these filters you guys have put still  everyday I get 2-5 fake warranty calls from unverified number plus bulk text on Crypto :)

Thanks,

Laxmi

Dear @srickar @TMLABS

SMS to Email started working for tratradingview.com . Thanks for all the help!

Kindly don’t block this domain in future.

Regards,

Laxmi