Solved

Transfer a phone number between T-Mobile accounts

• 29 May 2020
  • 5 replies

So I am currently on a phone plan with my ex and looking to take myself off and onto a new plan. Store associates already told me they have no way of transferring numbers and phones between accounts which is crazy and really should be a thing but whatever. Apparently the only way and quickest way is to port the number out to another company and then port it back in. Does anyone know what companies this works best with and will work nicely with T-Mobiles system? I don't want to accidentally go with a company that is going to make the process difficult and take weeks or months.

icon

Best answer by jayjonesy1 29 May 2020, 21:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That does sound silly!  You should be able to separate your number on to its own account.  Have you tried contacting Customer Care?  Alternatively, try porting the number to prepaid and back again under a new postpaid account.

I didn't call customer care, I assumed the store associates would know so trusted their answer. I also assume T-Mobile gets something out of people getting new numbers, only reason I can see for why they don't offer moving your number onto a new plan. Yeah I have to go to prepaid however they said it had to be another companies prepaid plan but not sure what company works best for that as I read some companies aren't compatible and some people have spent months trying to get their numbers transferred through different companies.

I spoke to T-Mobile on the app and they said it can be done with a change of responsibility. It looks like the store associates were just trying to make a sale which is unfortunate.

Yes! I'm so sorry you were given misinformation! 😢 We ported 4 T-Mobile postpaid numbers to 4 separate prepaid T-Mobile accounts and each one took all of two minutes to port over! The prepaid people were wonderfully useful. I called, told them what we wanted to do (as the owner of the postpaid account I had the right to let go of the phone #'s we were porting), and everything went extremely smoothly. 😀 These are the requirements:

1. The account number you are porting the phone number from
  2. The permission of the account owner
  3. Any requirements of the new account you are setting up (e.g. We needed new SIM cards because we were going from postpaid to prepaid.)
  4. The order # for your new account
  5. If you ordered a new SIM card, you will need the PIN # you set up when you ordered the SIM card

after port in what will happen to trade in device discounts in the old group ?  will they carry forward to new group ?