Solved

Unable to purchase phone online

• 10 November 2018
  • 45 replies

I've been trying to purchase a phone upgrade for my wife. At least 20 times now and every time I get to the end I get, "oops we've hit a snag". Then it kicks me back to the page showing the phone I want.

Anyway to get around this silliness?

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 19 November 2018, 17:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

A lot of folks are having this issue (myself included); I ended up having to go to the store and I'm chatting with an Expert now to see if I can get a credit for the upgrade support charge.  Right now, the only suggested course of action is to clear cache and cookies, try a different browser, etc, but nothing worked for me; the app gave me the same error message as well.

Thanks. I tried the app , Firefox browser on pc and chrome. Tried on my MacBook, nothing works. The nice lady on the chat inside T-Mobile app offered to do it. For 20 dollars ha!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I'll be dipped! I tried ordering through the Microsoft Edge browser and it looks like it might actually work.  I don't need a bloody phone anymore so I'm not going to process the order, but it at least let me put things in my cart and add accessories.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We totally want you to upgrade without this hiccup. I know there's been some issues our engineers are working to fix on the site? Are you trying to do a JUMP upgrade by chance? I know that's one of the issue they're working on fixing.

Not jump, just a regular upgrade for wife to replace a paid off device. Really starting to think they don't want my money lol. Just tried again 5 min ago

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Did you try it with Microsoft Edge? I'm not crazy about the browser in general but it worked on my computer and my phone.

Just installed edge browser and tried on phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Magentatechie  made a good suggestion going to a T-Mobile store. Is there one close to where you live? I live 7 miles where I bought a new phone, installed the nanoSIM, it was setup, and I have had no problems.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Okay. Thanks for the update. I'm not seeing this is similar to anything our engineers are currently working on. However, you can have our Team of Experts or T-Force folks file a Help Desk Ticket for this. Heading to the retail store is also a good suggestion if there's one close and you'd like to get the upgrade right away.

Yea they closed the store that was 2 minutes from my house. Now it's 15 min away. AT&T has a store that I can see from my deck lol. Maybe I can go there, way better coverage in my area anyway

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Ah shucks, that's no good. You can still have one of our Team of Experts folks help you buy the phone or at least get a ticket filed so you can make the purchase yourself. I'm just thinking of other ways to fix the issue and get you a phone without you having to switch.

Well I've been a customer of T-Mobile for 14 years, I highly doubt I would want to switch over something like this. It's a little aggravating for sure. I'm not sure why but I tried the jump upgrade yesterday on my line and everything went through perfectly. It's just updating a regular line no matter which one hits a snag

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Wow! That is a long time and we definitely don't want you leaving for something like this. When you say it's snagging when you're updating a line, is it when you're upgrading or are you doing something else? Just trying to get an understanding.

just clicking this upgrade link. I go through picking phone, choosing line that'll get new phone. Next is device protection, then choose any accessories. Then it'll say calculating price and then that's where I get "oops we hit a snag" error. Click try again and startsthe process all over. I finally had some free time last night, ran over to the tmo store and it closed at 8. Lol

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Ah okay. Sorry, sounds like we didn't get to help you at the store. If traveling to the store is is more inconvenient, we'll need to get our Team of Experts folks to get a Help Desk ticket filed for the site to resolve the issue. To get the phone ordered, we'll either need to help at the store or have our Care folks over the phone help.

Seems to still be a problem. Can't order on any browser I've tried or with the T-Mobile app.  Been trying for a few days but guess we will just keep our three old phones to avoid paying an upgrade fee at the store. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

If you go a store, and explain that you cannot buy your phone(s) online, will they bypass that extra?

I have the same problem!! And I do not want to pay the $20 fee when I should be able to do it myself

So is this ever going to be fixed? I have the same problem. Tried on Firefox, Chrome, Edge and mobile app. Very frustrating.

June 12 and still happening. Tried to upgrade both phones on our account and crapped out in the store purchase process after Select Phone > Add to Cart > Choose Number > Select Accessories screen on PC and Mac.

My existing phones are paid off, so in theory, I should be a flight risk you want to rope back into another 24-month contract, but you're not making this easy sale easy.

Here's the screen I get after choosing "Skip accessories:"

This is happening to me as well--chrome, edge, phone, chromebook, whatever.  Hard to give away my money this way.  If i had wanted to go to the store, i would have done that. The convenience of online ordering just went sideways.

Having the same issue, have talked to a representative on the phone twice and even did a two hour long Chat with a support tech on the website. Still unable to get the system or website to give me my upgrade. This is beyond outrageous and it looks like this has been going on for well over a year without a fix. This is complete crap. Looks like they also stopped monitoring these Support threads.

They are just trying to get you to the store so they can SELL you something more expensive or a different plan or the upgrade fee, THIS FAILS ON ALL BROWSERS so its not computer related. They should just be upfront about it and say YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE to upgrade the phone instead of wasting customers time thinking they have a browser issue when its obvious this is a scam.

@tmo_elesa@tmo_mike_c​ So you are saying you have had this "technical" issue since Nov 2018 and its still not resolved.  You should just tell your customers that it is not possible to upgrade/order phones over the internet and that they need to goto the store so you can charge them the $20 upgrade fee and see if you can convince them to purchase another more expensive devise or expensive plan, I get you run a business but dont waste your customers time spending hours trying to see if its a browser issue when this is probably just a way to get people to the store.  If that's NOT the case then you have serious issues with your development staff who cant fix a customer facing problem for over 8 MONTHS.