Solved

unfortunately t mobile has stopped

• 7 August 2021
  • 18 replies

Badge

just last week this ERROR MESSAGE “unfortunately t mobile has stopped” started popping up on 2 of my 5 phones. I cannot find a true fix for this online. I went to a T-mobile store and the Rep told me that maybe I need to pay my bill. I told him my bill is paid in full. He than took a look at my 2 phones and said that if I upgrade my phones that this ERROR would go away. He could not fix my phones and told me that it is a phone problem. I told him that it is a T-mobile software problem and T-mobile needs to fix their software. I left and came home to contact T-mobile for a fix. I am waiting on a callback in 45 minutes. I am putting this problem out there is there a real fix for this ERROR “unfortunately t mobile has stopped”

icon

Best answer by DillyBean 23 November 2021, 02:59

View original

18 replies

I have been able to fix this issue by either 1. Clear the Data of the the Tmobile app (Settings → Apps -→ T-Mobile on long list of apps → Storage → Clear data)  And/or  Updating the Tmobile app in the Playstore (Playstore -→ Search “T-Mobile” in the top search bar → Tap Green Update button in theTmobile app info page if available. 

I have done everything I can. The message comes up multiple times a minute and interrupts anything I am on the middle of. Typing this alone I got the message ten times, and I don't type slow. The rep said I had too many things open. Not true. Please help. No updates available.

Badge

I have found the fix. First you must backup all of your data using a program downloaded and installed on a PC called “smart switch” This program will backup all of your apps data, texts. contacts ++.  google it to get it..Than after this backup you need to do a a hard reset google for instructions how to. After the reset you can restore everything using smart switch restore. My 2 S5 phones work now, it seems better than before I got the error.. Its like a clean install for your phone. You will have to install some apps updates. Now you have a complete backup of your phone on your PC and can make a new complete backup after you do all of the updates. The complete backup can be installed on a different S5 phone I did it and it worked.

I wish you luck on your fix.  I’ve been following this problem for a couple months now,  found the easiest way was to go to google play, uninstall all the T-mobile updates (won’t uninstall T-mobile app). Then then update the app (again).  That generally lasts around a week, then you have to do it again, when your phone call gets dropped or your ‘war attack’ dies in an online game, due to the message coming back and using up all your cpu.  This is what my Samsung phone is going through, one that T-Mobile sold me about a year ago, that came with the T-mobile app installed even.  :/

If you do a bit of search on the internet, you will find hundreds (thousands?) of people having this issue on their android devices, and T-Mobile has been less than forthcoming about even admitting their software has a problem and doing something about it!  Sure, I can do a complete factory reset and painfully restore what was on my phone afterwords.  ONCE.  Not once per week.  >.<

I have done everything I can. The message comes up multiple times a minute and interrupts anything I am on the middle of. Typing this alone I got the message ten times, and I don't type slow. The rep said I had too many things open. Not true. Please help. No updates available.

These reps don't know squat. 😤

Badge

I had exactly your problem and now I an 4 days on 2 different phones error free try my fix and at lease you will have a complete backup of your phone on a PC. Paul this is what I did: First you must backup all of your data using a program downloaded and installed on a PC called “smart switch” This program will backup all of your apps data, texts. contacts ++.  google it to get it..Than after this backup you need to do a a hard reset google for instructions how to. After the reset you can restore everything using smart switch restore. My 2 S5 phones work now, it seems better than before I got the error.. Its like a clean install for your phone. You will have to install some apps updates.

I have been dealing with this problem for about three weeks.  Some days I get blasted with the service interruption all day and other days.. nothing.

Went to the shop and the salesperson was no help.  

I reckon it is because my s5 is old.  A shame that the corporation is making us get rid of our old phones.

Badge

I had exactly your problem that is why I started this post. Now I am more than 10 days error free on 2 different S5 phones try my fix listed above. Yes my S5 phones are totally error free and working better than before. If you have any questions I am here. Paul

DIY REPAIR HERE: first to repair this, you need to understand what is happening. T-Mobile has launched an update to their T-Mobile app that is incompatable with phones running less than 6.0 Android operating systems. Instead of being an update, their new app is designed to act as Malware that freezes your phone with that annoying pop-up. For a phone that was not originally a T-Mobile phone, go to the Google Play Store, click on the red circle up top to pull up your apps. Go to "manage apps and device." Go to "manage" up top next screen. This will bring up a list of your apps. Scroll down to T-Mobile, click on it. You should be able to uninstall it. If you can not, then it means you have a phone where the T-mobile app was part of the factory installation package. You can't remove it, but you can stop it from making the pop-ups. So to do this, go back into "settings," and go to "system" click on it. Go to "system developer options" click on it. scroll down to "background process limit," click on it. A sub menu will pop up asking you how many processes you want to allow. PICK NONE. ZERO. NO BACKGROUND PROCESSES ALLOWED. This is the fix. When you toggle back to the home screen, and remove the pop-up, no more should happen. Because the pop-up is a background process and you are not allowing that process to happen. The pop-up is a Malware loop created by T-Mobile to render your phone so miserable to use....you buy a new one! Notice how nobody tells you how to fix it, but they are quick to sell you another phone. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR PHONE. Once the background processes are stopped the phone works fine. Shame on you T-Mobile!! 

Excellent explanation.  ‘allowing no background processes’ fix worked for me on my old MetroPCS phone that only has Android 5.1.1 available.  Fortunately I already had the dev options enabled (since they have things that really shouldn’t need such a special menu like not turning off display when charging).  Was really annoying since I went so far as to reset my phone and then the problem came back after installing a few updates.  I assume there is some downside to the fix but it’s better than throwing out an otherwise working phone.

I have been able to fix this issue by either 1. Clear the Data of the the Tmobile app (Settings → Apps -→ T-Mobile on long list of apps → Storage → Clear data)  And/or  Updating the Tmobile app in the Playstore (Playstore -→ Search “T-Mobile” in the top search bar → Tap Green Update button in theTmobile app info page if available. 

Wow... Just updated the actual app in the playstore and have been popup free for the first time in weeks! Simple fix so I hope it continues to work... Can't thank you enough!! 👍

Do all the above and if nothing works, install the tracphone app from google play store and activate it with your email address but don't register your device. It doesn't matter if tracphone is your carrier. Somehow android must assigns it as the default account app even if it doesn't show in default app list. Has been working for me about an hour with no annoying popup. 

Well sorry, but forget what I posted. The popup came back after an hour. 

just last week this ERROR MESSAGE “unfortunately t mobile has stopped” started popping up on 2 of my 5 phones. I cannot find a true fix for this online. I went to a T-mobile store and the Rep told me that maybe I need to pay my bill. I told him my bill is paid in full. He than took a look at my 2 phones and said that if I upgrade my phones that this ERROR would go away. He could not fix my phones and told me that it is a phone problem. I told him that it is a T-mobile software problem and T-mobile needs to fix their software. I left and came home to contact T-mobile for a fix. I am waiting on a callback in 45 minutes. I am putting this problem out there is there a real fix for this ERROR “unfortunately t mobile has stopped”

I have been experiencing the same issue with my phone AND my local T-MOBILE location! They speak down to you like they're smarter than EVERYONE and have yet to figure out my smart phone. haha. The 2nd time I swapped my SIM it took the girl FORTY yes 40 minutes and it still doesn't work! I've had issues EVER SINCE I GOT THE 1ST T-MOBILE SIM! Idk if it's because my phone is still a "Sprint" phone with a "T-MOBILE" SIM or what but the 1st SIM "wasn't compatible" with my device...UM...it used to be 🤷‍♀️ I'm so over this mess. I pay WAY TOO MUCH to be treated like crap when I'm trying to get help with YOUR DEVICE (technically). 

I gave up and flashed my galaxy On5 phone with rom from a PCS Metro On5 phone, which works in Tmobile network, to elminate the Tmobile app altogether. Popped my sim in and it works. You have to read up on using the Samsung ODIN flash tool but it's all completely free to use. The Samsung pc interface driver works for all galaxies. The ODIN website will give you everything you need but the stock firmware rom for your device which can be found elsewhere online. Basically you have to have Windows 8.1 or higher and you must run ODIN as Administrator on your PC. Once you get your firmware loaded into ODIN, you must press the download mode key on your phone and then press 'Start' in Odin. Your phone doesn't have to appear as a drive letter or a hardware device on your pc' it only has to show as a Sansung Composite device under the Device Manager usb driver list for it to work. The guy who said the 'stopped working' popup is a malware loop in the Tmobile app for older phones it right. Flashing or buying a new phone appears to be the only solution. 

Oh my goodness thank you for this thread! I just got a refurbished device identical to the one my toddler tossed in the toilet last week, and it's running Android 11 (so the 6.0 thing shouldn't be the issue), and this device has had this pop up since I finished set up (I've never had this is issue before) . I'll try the factory reset, otherwise I guess I'll see if this is a warranty-able issue.

So idk if this will help anyone. But I noticed that the tmobile app that was in my apps in the play store was different than the one continously generating the error. So I went to the app store, and under my apps searched tmobile, it showed a tmobile app with a PINK icon, I clicked on that and while it was installed, it was not enabled. So I enabled it.Then when the pop up occurred again, I clicked on app info instead of close app. Which brought me to the older tmobile app with a white icon, i clicked the 3 dots in the top right,  and then clicked uninstall updates. So far everything is running smoothly and no more pop ups are popping. Fingers crossed!

DillyBeans suggestion worked for me.

I uninstalled the update by clicking on the top right corner 3 dots.  Then i relaunched the app, and was forced to update it again.

When i updated it, the App now seems to be working... at least for now!