Question

Unlock Samsung S21 Phone

• 17 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge

I bought a Tmobile phone from Costco full price.. Tmobile says “This device is not currently eligible to be unlocked”

Need to unlock phone as I am travelling overseas. 

How do I unlock this phone?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The phone needs to be used for 40 on the Tmobile network to be unlocked.

Since it's an android you can get a temporary unlock.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

So I cannot use my new fully paid phone on my trip abroad ?

Who can I escalate this to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How long is your trip? You can temporary unlock your phone using the unlock app since your phone is an android.

If you still want  a permanent unlock you can try contacting tmobile support using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms. They are a higher tier of support.

Badge

I purchased a s21 from bestbuy outright and it has been close to two months. I have been trying to get this phone unlocked and have reached out to customer care with no luck. All they do create ticket everytime and they get closed but yet my phone is unlocked. Please help as I have made close to half a dozen calls on this with T-mobile does not seem to care.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

close to two months with it on the TMO network or two months since you purchased it?

Badge

Its two months since I purchased and upgraded one of my lines. I have been with t-mobile for about 7 years now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

how long you have been with them doesnt help you unlock things.. if its been a solid two months meaning you have met your 40 days having it active on the account and its in fact fully paid off then there shouldnt be anything else holding it up with being unlocked..

Badge

The phone was fully paid and yes it been over 40 days since I activated this line and everything is fine on the account side. Like I said in the original question that T-mobile has not able to unlock for whatever unknown reason to them and evertime I speak to customer service all they do is create ticket and nothing else happens after that with the promise to call back everytime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

bypass call in support and get a hold of them through either Facebook or Twitter..higher tier support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You didn’t buy the device directly from T-Mobile, so that device has to have its IMEI entered into the system to be eligible to be unlocked.  The T-Force Team should be able to get this done, but these things aren’t instantaneous processes.  Make sure you have your receipt to submit with your request for your T-Mobile device purchased from a third party retailer.  

I have had my s21 paid for for over 2 years and TM still will not unlock my phone, I even went to the store and showed the reps the threads online that say you need T-Mobile to unlock the device.  He finally got someone to commit to the 24 to 48 hours to unlock stage, it’s been 72 hour and guess what, still not unlocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile sent me a message when my Pixel 6 was unlocked after 40 days and I didn’t request the unlock.

New Tmobile policy , once the phone meets the requirements the phone is unlocked.