Question

Upgrade Fees and Taxes

• 19 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi - I was thinking about upgrading my phone and when I spoke with the associate I was told the cost would be ~$70.  On the website, the phone listed was $0 down so I asked what went into that cost.  They responded with and upgrade charge ($20) and taxes.  The phone is listed on the website at $162 and the state I live in has a 1% sales tax so I am just curious what other taxes are included that would make up the difference?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does your city have a city tax?  This is one of the reasons I prefer to drop by T-Mobile Stores in NewPort News over Hampton, because you can save at least $ in city tax.  The same goes for just about any type of shopping.  The upgrade fee, which I think is ridiculous, is for “help” over the phone or help in-store.  I was charged it once for simply picking up a phone in-store.  All I did was walk in, it was already ready for me, and I signed, paid, and left.  That wasn’t worth $20 so I disputed the charge with T-Mobile. Sometimes they will credit you for the fee.  If you can, buy the device online.  Before you complete your order, there should be a breakdown of everything you will be charged before confirming the order.  

I paid $30 upgrade fee and still spent an hour on the phone activating - all she did was ring me out.

HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

I recently decided to take advantage of promotional program $400 off when "upgrading/trade-in" (qualifying device) with my mobile carrier, however @ checkout I was being charged sales tax on full price of device & not the sales tax of discounted price. I cancelled transaction & purchased device with Samsung on same promotion offered by mobile carrier & paid sales tax on discounted price. I received new device, packed old device into box with label provided by Samsung. No extra fees & most importantly....paid sales tax on the discounted price. I advise anyone wanting to upgrade/trade-in device to look into promtional offers with Manufacturer (Apple, Samsung, etc).