Question

Using DIGITS via VM VirtualBox Emulated Android Device

• 30 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Has anyone tried to use DIGITS on a emulated Android device? I am running VM VirtualBox. Within this I am running a virtual Android device. I installed the DIGITS app via Google Play. Curiously, if I run the app without maximizing the created window, it asks for my T-Mobile ID - I enter it, and then my password, and click the login button. The little whirly circle appears on the screen, suggesting the information is being processed. After a moment the whirly circle disappears, and the screen is unchanged. There is no error message printed on the screen - but it does seem something is not working right. I do have the virtual device’s wifi working fine, otherwise I would not have been able to download DIGITS from Google Play. The emulated android device only has wifi - there is of course no actually ability to access the cellular network - but that *should* be fine for running DIGITS, or so I am told. For some reason, however, if when starting on the app, I hold the mouse click for an extended period, I get a menu - I select ‘new window’, then ‘maximize window’. This *seems* to work. I’ve run some tests, and I was able to send text SMSs to myself, listen to a voicemail message, etc. But, for DIGITS to work right I always need to open it as a maximized window.

So, why am I doing this? Out of necessity. I use a Nokia 900, which is a 3G device. T-Mobile is discontinuing its 3G network, so very shortly my N900 will become a PDA that merely has wifi. I have placed an order for an Astro Slide 5G, which was supposed to be delivered June 2022, but now they are saying July 2022. So, until I get my new phone, I need DIGITS in order to send & receive text msgs, check voicemail, etc. I can use a chrome browser to access DIGITS - this does work - but *facepalm* the system wants to send a 6 digit security code to my cellphone *each time I log in to DIGITS*. This is the cellphone that will loose cellular access July 1. Yep, all in the name of security. I mean, a system that is turned off is also ultra secure, but the clever trick is to make your system secure *and* usable by the legit users. 

It seems that if I use the DIGITS app (instead of accessing the DIGITS webpage via chrome) it will not do this absurd security measure every time I use DIGITS. So, far, so good. I have little faith that nothing will go wrong. If anyone else has done this before, I’d be happy to hear your tips and suggestions.

1 reply

Badge

might give BlueStacks a go