Solved

Verification Text

• 30 December 2019
  • 18 replies

Hello,

So it seems like I have alot of problems getting verification texts from apps and services when I am trying to confirm my phone number.

Just 2 examples that I have run into recently is Paypal and Waze.

If anyone has any idea why this is happening to my phone and no one else on the account that be great

Just for reference I am using a Galaxy S8 Active

icon

Best answer by formerrsmjess 4 January 2020, 02:23

View original

18 replies

Did the number come from T-Mobile or was it ported in from another carrier?

The phone is originally a ATT phone that was unlocked for use on all GSM carriers.  Is the fact that the phone was unlocked causing this issue? 

Sorry just realized I didnt answer your question.  Yes the phone number is from t-mobile from mwhen I opened the account 15 years ago

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you talked to Customer Care to ensure that short codes are enabled on your account?

OK. I thought the number might have been ported from some odd-ball VoIP carrier and this was causing loss of messages. I don't know. I did have some issues getting verification texts from Fidelity but that seems to have resolved itself. Is it a problem for getting texts from all companies or just some?

I get the verification texts from some companies and some I dont

Ill try that

This is a frequently voiced complaint about T-Mobile. I don't have a solution for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey, have you contacted our Tech Support team to see if there's account setting or Trouble Ticket that can be escalated to get this resolved?

Correct Answer by @tmo_chris on Jul 23, 2019 1:04 PM

Hey everyone! We see that this post is still getting some views and we want to make the resolution to this issue more visible so I am going to mark this answer correct and it will be displayed at the very top of the thread.

For this specific issue, there are a few things we will need to check on the account side to ensure there is nothing preventing you from receiving these kinds of verification short codes. Some things like your specific rate plan or even a blocking feature on your line may be causing this issue and that is a very simple fix.

If there is no apparent reason you should not be receiving these verification texts or short codes, we have a process in place to notify our engineering teams via a trouble ticket so that we can take a closer look at the back end of the network to see where the hang up is.

The most common issue is a blocking feature that is on your specific line, this feature can be removed entirely so that all your verification texts come through. Now I know what you are thinking, “if everything is open, then anyone can send me short codes.” That is true but we also have the ability to black list specific short codes so that you can still receive your verification text messages but keep the bad ones at bay.

With all of that said, we do need access to your account in order to visually audit what the root of the issue is and here on a public community forum, we unfortunately do not have a secure way of verifying you. Never fear though, you can always reach out to us over the phone or on Facebook/Twitter (using the links in my signature) and our experts can get you all taken care of.

Not receiving verification texts --NOT using DIGITS

These guys at T-Mobile are simply lousy and lazy and don't care about customer service. Why is this very common with them. All my friends make silly fun of me because of this silly issue.

Badge

OK. Details LG Aristo LG-M210, Android version 7.0.  I am not receiving the verification codes for some sites, and receiving for other sites. There is no rhyme or reason. I have checked all the settings in my T-Mobile account; the only block set to on is SCAM. I have gone through the steps in this link:  Manage privacy amp; notifications​.

I have been having this problem for a while and now that the world is moving to phone verification, need to resolve this issue. I receive verification codes from a number of websites I have accounts with, so it is not all or nothing issue. It is random. Attempted with Paypal and not receiving the verification code. Attempted with Venmo, received the code only after having power cycled the phone. Now every time I request a verification and don’t receive it, I power cycle the phone and request the code again. 

I have checked the phone settings, verified that Settings>Apps>Notifications are all ON. If those were not set right, then I would not be getting some codes and not others, but, verified everything just the same. 

Please help, since phone verification seems to be the wave of the future. Or may aptly, “this is the way.”

It is crazy that T-mobile is an international company and it blocks verification codes while travelling.

What is the reason to block OTP messages from important accounts/sites?   

You realize this problem while you are traveling and it is super hard to reach customer service when you are half-a-world away.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there, I understand the frustration of not being able to receive short codes while outside of the US, however this isn’t strictly a T-Mobile blocking feature.  Short codes are country specific and regardless of the carrier, US codes will only work in the US, Canada in Canada, and so on.  

Are you referring to reaching out to customer care while abroad? The international number is

505-998-3793

Xman1968 said it all. I have been having the exact same issues. Why is T-Mobile not all over this issue? It is serious as stated in other questions. I usually get the “Did you bring an unlocked phone from another carrier”? Or it is not our issue, it’s the company or site sending the OTP or Codes.

Please fix, it is the new standard used out there for verification. Its not going away, however, your customers may if this is not taken seriously. 

Same issue on one of my lines. No short codes coming in except for T-Mobile’s. Ran through multiple reps. No help. Support ticket opened today. Given the string of unresolved comments here, I’m not too hopeful. 

Problem Resolved! Called to Mobile yesterday and they were able to fix immediately. Seems they had some. Kind of block on my line. He was able to remove and all text verification codes and OTP come in to my phone. 

FYI, my phone was an iPhone 12 Pro Max from AT&T purchased and plan, paid off and unlocked. I talked to overseas support and like everyone was very frustrated and told the person “Just transfer me to a higher level rep/tech”. He fixed it in minutes. Just tell them to check your account for this block and have them remove it. They can check all you lines at the same time if you have others on your plan. Doesn’t need to have a trouble ticket. Be persistent with the rep and just keep cool. That was the hardest thing for me.