Solved

What does it cost when calling from China

• 16 February 2018
  • 6 replies

I have called into Tmobile support four times and asked the same question and gotten four different answers.  Each agent tells me to trust them and that the other three agents are wrong.  So how do I get my questions answered?

Here is my question broken down into parts.  Each question assumes I am in China.

1) What is the cost of placing a call from China to a Chinese number?

2) What is the cost of placing a call from China to a US number?

3) What is the cost of receiving a call while in China (I assume it does not matter where the call is from)?

icon

Best answer by rumboogy 16 February 2018, 21:44

Here is my summary of charges.  Please let me know if this look correct to you.  The assumptions are that I am in China and my plan is T-Mobile ONE.

• Text and data are free and unlimited.
  • For cellular calling:
    • Receiving or making calls to US or to China is $0.20/min.
  • For WiFi calling:
    • Calling to US is free.
    • Calling to China is $3.59/min.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6

International roaming services

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

And, a good thread that explains: US number calling US number traveling overseas...

Userlevel 7

We assume that you are on a current postpaid plan and not on some ancient grandfathered plan.

The important thing to remember is that the rates are different if you are using WIFi Calling or Cellular.

I am on the "T-Mobile ONE" plan.

Here is my summary of charges.  Please let me know if this look correct to you.  The assumptions are that I am in China and my plan is T-Mobile ONE.

• Text and data are free and unlimited.
  • For cellular calling:
    • Receiving or making calls to US or to China is $0.20/min.
  • For WiFi calling:
    • Calling to US is free.
    • Calling to China is $3.59/min.

Actually I am not sure about the cost of using WiFi to call from China to China (last line in my previous post).  In this web page (Wi-Fi Calling ) it indicates that "From any Simple Global country to any other country are $0.20/min (same as cellular)."  And China is in the list of Simple Global countries.

Userlevel 7

This is correct. When a call goes via WiFi,it's routed back to the US and goes out as an international call at your current international rates. When you make the call via cellular, it goes to the local cellular carrier.

As a separate question we could ask why T-Mobile's default international rates are so high. Project's Fi's rates are much lower and you don't have to pay them extra every month to get them.