What's Up With The "T-MobileONE" Plan?

• 18 August 2016
  • 69 replies

I've been a T-Mobile customer for several years now. I've also been a big fan of all of the Un-carrier moves until #12.

The articles I've read state that T-Mobile will be phasing out the rest of the plans and the T-MobileONE plan will replace them all. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Also can anyone comment on if you are already a customer on an old plan, can you keep it indefinitely and add lines to it in the future?

I currently have 3 lines with the default 2 Gb’s of data on all lines making the total $90 a month. In the upcoming years I plan to add two more lines which would bring my total to $110. I like that price, that’s why I switched to T-Mobile!

With the new plan for my same 3 lines I would pay (If I understand this correctly) $70 + $50 + $20 = $140. This is with auto pay; I believe it is $5/line more if you don’t have auto pay. So this is a $50 a month increase to what I pay today. This cost only goes up more as I add additional lines, like I plan to in the future.

If they are phasing out all of the other data plans and replacing it with this one, isn’t this basically just a price increase for everyone? This is just a simple way to increase ARPU?

I for one don’t really want unlimited data, just don’t need it. I use WiFi primarily. The point is T-Mobile is forcing unlimited data on everyone to increase prices and calling it an un-carrier move, well I don’t think so.

Also doesn’t this negate the prior Music Freedom and Binge On moves they made (Which were truly un-carrier)? With unlimited data, Music Freedom and Binge On don’t apply anymore.

I think T-Mobile is getting it wrong with this one, does anyone agree/disagree or see it differently?

69 replies

I did and I do have texts selected for paid bill notification.  Set it up that way and never changed it. TMO is ignoring it.

That nice yellow line in your illustration is exactly where I have it checked.

Userlevel 4

Hmm. If your settings aren't being recognized, it's definitely not an intentional act.

If you can, is suggest ranching out to a rep directly and having a ticket filed so your profile can be looked into further.

Sorry about that. 😥

-Lauren

Userlevel 4

...rather than edit that post above, I'm leaving my typo ranching. I don't even know how I managed that, this is what happens when I take time off.

*reaching

I've called 611, and I went to the local TMO store. Agent couldn't figure out why, either. He had to call TMO to find out.

Apparently there is some kind of glitch between billing and my phone. He got it downloadable, but it quit again.

This started last year when you changed accounts over. Everything was fine on my Nexus 4, unlocked and rooted. Things worked just fine on an Oppo Find7 until the switch. Since then, nothing. Now I have an unlocked Moto XPRE.

TMO can tell me how much data has accrued, offer me stuff I don't want, tell me when bill is ready, so what's the problem? Since the phone has received one paid notice, it isn't the phone.

I hope the paid notices aren't going to the wrong person.

I've called 611 several times with no paid notices appearing

Userlevel 4

While I can't speak in definites, I have never in my tenure seen those paid notices go to the wrong person, so I think the likelihood of that is slim to none, which is good.

I'm curious if filing a ticket to engineering would help. Do you know if they have filed any trouble ticket/help desk tickets for the issue?

-Lauren

I have no idea who the agent called. It took him well over 1/2 hour to get this resolved and he's the one that said TMO seemed to have a glitch between billing and my phone. This must have been in late June, early July.

If you call 611, you take whatever advice the rep gives you.

This is the address of the store I used.

http://www.t-mobile.com/store/cell-phone-colorado_springs-co-2426.html

Re: What's Up With The "T-MobileONE" Plan?
tmo_lauren

While I can't speak in definites, I have never in my tenure seen those paid notices go to the wrong person, so I think the likelihood of that is slim to none, which is good.

I'm curious if filing a ticket to engineering would help. Do you know if they have filed any trouble ticket/help desk tickets for the issue?

-Lauren

Sent reply..

What's going on with Select Choice family plans? I still don't want a switch and don't really need extra data?

Userlevel 4

So long as you don't make any changes to your current plan, you'll get to keep it no matter what it is! If you don't want to switch, you won't have to.

And I totally get your comment about the just taking the reps advice at face value. I would say you may want to contact a representative again, maybe T-Force, and see about a ticket being filed.

-Lauren

What do you mean by change?

I have no intention of adding another line or any more data unless needed once a year, but if my husband breaks his flip phone, I'll have to adjust to what he wants.

I added extra data and international to the 649 line this summer as daughter came over from UK and husband had to work. They were here for 11 days.

I really don't do movies and musical entertainment. I mostly text and mms, and use the internet for reference. I also will read on the phone. I changed phone into a PDA. I do need data, just not that much. My daughter does do FB and Instagram so the extra data should and did cover her needs. But she's here once a year.

How do you get to T Force? I will not give FB any info, same goes for Twitter and Google.

Userlevel 4

Changes are basically any changes to the plan, so you can keep what your currently have and swap phones as often as you'd like so long as they don't impact the plan, but if you want to add features or add lines, it may not be possible on your plan. That does mean adding data to your husbands phone if he goes from a flip to smart may not be possible, etc. It's not say for sure it won't be possible, but we can't guarantee those changes will be available, it depends on what the system is still housing. That said, your plan is guaranteed as is for as long as you have it.

T-Force is only available through social media, but over the phone they can file a ticket as well, my only suggestion for T-Force was because you could just link them the thread and save some explaining.

-Lauren

My husband doesn't want data, no way, no how. He doesn't want to be bothered, which is why he has a flip. (I think some data was included for his flip) If TMO drops flip phones, we'd be stuck. The other phone is a Nexus 4 and I think there's 500m of data? That's okay until she comes stateside. I'll be looking for a new phone for her which does do TMO's current bands, The Nexus 4 doesn't.

Since her SIM is now activated, I should be able to ship the phone to the UK.

It used to be you had a choice about not having any data if you bought your phone outright or brought your own. I didn't bother for years.

I can't really use social media. They track, and I have never used my real name. I'm not giving it to them now, as the info would wind up on the Help site.

Where do you find the number for T force? I don't see a number under "contact us"

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just came back shocked from a T-Mo store.  Adding my wife's phone would force me to the new  "ONE" plan that is $120/month with crippled video or $170/month without crippled video.  How is that not the worst deal of any major carrier?

Yes, I did notice when Binge-On was activated on my Simple Choice plan.  All videos that needed more than 1.5Mbps stopped working.  I would have dropped T-Mobile that afternoon if it couldn't be switched back off.

Userlevel 2

I can see TM raising the 3rd thru 10th line to at least $15.  Raising the first line to $70 and 2nd to $50  (from $50+30) is a SHOCK.  $10/line sounds like a money loser.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried again and the T-Mo web site let me add a line to my "grandfathered" Simple Choice plan.  Hopefully Bing-On stays off.  I only use 1 to 3 GB a month but I do need to occasionally stream videos that aren't ultra lo-fi.

Userlevel 2

kevinmcmurtrie wrote:

I tried again and the T-Mo web site let me add a line to my "grandfathered" Simple Choice plan.  Hopefully Bing-On stays off.  I only use 1 to 3 GB a month but I do need to occasionally stream videos that aren't ultra lo-fi.

I don't think those of us on the basic 2Gb plan are even entitled to BingeOn.  Are you on basic or a higher data plan?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was on a 3GB Simple Choice plan and upgraded to a 6GB Simple Choice Family plan.  It's MUCH cheaper and it does let me disable Binge-On.  I don't need more than ~6GB so "unlimited" with a throttle and a high price is not better.

My wife's Project Fi account hasn't topped $32/mo (not including taxes and fees) in the 9 months we've had it. Of course, she is using a lot of WiFi and has a number of data optimizations turned on but it pretty well sets the price range we're willing to pay for service. She could go $70 from time to time and we'd still be ahead.

Yess, I tried again and the T-Mo web site let me add a line to my "grandfathered" Simple Choice plan.  Hopefully Bing-On stays off. I only use 1 to 3 GB a month but I do need to occasionally stream videos that aren't ultra lo-fi.

Management decided that they needed a higher ARPU and that zero-rated streaming and Data Stash were costing too much on the lower bucket plans. For me, the 2G-speed tethering is a non-starter.  I'll hang onto what I have now (thank you very much) and advise others to do the same. If anyone is thinking of signing up, they might want to do it before the new rates go into effect.