Question

Whatsapp call became wifi calling

i picked up an international calls via whatsapp but it ended up became wifi calling on my call history. I was told i will be charge $3 per min. Total $360...did anyone had similair experiences ? I had international call blocK And dont know how did it happen.

13 replies

Hey there!

Unfortunately if a call falls off the app server, it can transfer to a standard WiFi call and be charged. 😥

Have you already spoken to a rep to see what was going on with the international block not kicking in?

Thanks so much!

-Lauren

Userlevel 5

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still need help with this.

Userlevel 3

@jojochuk​ - WhatsApp calls should be data only, not a voice call - to my knowledge, there is no ability to hand a call over to Wifi.  I wouldn't think they hand off at all.   Now a WiFi call handing off to LTE, yes, but not between WhatsApp and a voice call (whether it's LTE or WiFi).  WiFi calls should be included for T-Mobile ONE plan, however some of the legacy plans do charge...

Is it possible it was not a WhatsApp call?

What plan do you have?  T-Mobile ONE international rates are much lower than $3/min, so I'm guessing you have a legacy plan.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hey there.

We do wanna make sure this is taken care of. Were you able to get a rep to look at the international blocking? Please let us know.

After being online for 2hrs and 10mins and a lot of arguments and getting the line transfered to supervisior , then I received refund.

This is how T-mobile is .....

i Have 8 lines with them but no help at all ....

Sounds to Me like they were of good help to you, You charged up a bill on a app owned by F-book and used thru the play store and

not t-mobile.agree the international block should have maybe worked, but then again you were on wifi so not sure. the one thing i would say

is that you are dissing t-mobile when,

A) the thread here shows concern and help was being given and you had no response to anything but your complaints

b) they credited your account for an app or whatever you claim did not work (hmm..)

c)if you are at $3 per minute then get off the phone for approx 2 hours that accumulated that

cost. or get a plan with your 8 lines that would help you so you can talk more freely.

Sorry just have to say T-mobile went above and beyond to accommodate you.

Kudos T-mobile! didnt have to do it...especially with no gratification back to you..

I have a bill of $638.25 and $320.25 of international calls because my mother called my grandmother in Guatemala using whatsapp. This is so stupid. Are they going to charge when we use messenger too!!!! This can be right!! I am so sick of this company. You sure get what you pay for.

Hello there! same story... some BS about connection and BLA BLA.

Same! Before I paid $1500 for my phones and lines I asked many times the sale person if WhatsApp voice calls were free and he said YES. It's my third month as a customer here and I am already paying extra for this issue! I need a solution to this problem and, stop using WhatsApp voice calls is not a solution!

Unhelpful comment.

There is NO way tmobile would charge for whatsapp calls as it uses whatsapp servers and data internet. Only way is if you were charged for roaming Data. The only other explanation of a charge of Tmobile doing this is if they are filtering out whatsapp calls from their network, which was why WE NEED NET NEUTRALITY! So all your political folks, who got Avjit Pi into the FCC with the other right, this is what can happen. Tmobile has been pretty close to crossing net neutrality lines many times before when Net Neutrality existed.

Oh yes they would!

Happened to me today - $150 call when Whatsapp dropped. It was not a roaming data charge.  I was told by a representative this is what happens, when a Whatsapp call drops it kicks into T-Mobile. Where is that explained to customers when they sign up??

I had the same issue of whatsapp call going to international calling twice and each time the billing went over 250$. I am really absolutely shocked with this. Not once but twice? 

T-mobile did not really read the memo: 

Voice calling lets you call your contacts using WhatsApp for free, even if they're in another country. Voice calling uses your phone's internet connection rather than your mobile plan's minutes. Data charges may apply.

I would like the customer service for t-mobile to revert both the charges completely.