Solved

When is Tmobile going to update their carrier settings to allow calls longer than 4 hours?

When is Tmobile going to update their carrier settings to allow calls longer than 4 hours? Ive never had a provider that limits phone calls and its becoming annoying to be on the phone because im hyper aware of the duration of my call in fear that it will randomly disconnect. Plus I have family memebers who live far away and my boyfriend who also lives far away and i dont get to see Very often, so i really look forward to being on the phone with them and i hate havinf to worry that my call is going to drop

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 27 March 2019, 16:45

Hey there! We appreciate the feedback and this is a concern we have seen several times here on the community, At this time, we have no plans to lift this 4 hour limit as it does help with accidental calls and relieves network congestion. I have not tested this on WiFi calling so I cannot confirm but if you and your BF regularly spend 4+ hours on the phone, you both may want to look into a 3rd party VoIP app that has no limitations.

I personally use Discord with my gaming buddies as it has open voice channels that can be joined and left at any time and it has a chat function 😊 It's free and can be used on mobile devices as well as computers. You can create your on private server that is just for yalls calls to each other.

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5

I never knew T-Mobile did that.

My girlfriend lived far away too and I would be on the phone for hours and hours.. I would do Skype phone calls ... because back then Internationa calls cost more than what I pay today.... but after being on the phone for so many hours in a day, Skype freeze your account, some equal fairness protocol they have in place, whatever its called. if the phone did disconnect with T-Mobile (i don’t remember because it was so many years ago)... but its bringing back memories, and now i think the calls were dropping. All I did was just call her back... but I do understand your point. Maybe someone from T-Mobile can answer your question with some clarity because this is their system.

Userlevel 6

All carriers have enacted this four hour policy. However I am reading that this is not a limitation on Wi-Fi. so it's quite possible that this is an effort to reduce congestion on the network so Wi-Fi calling might be an answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I've read that this was implemented back when people had limited minutes and was to turn off the phone in case

people forgot to hang up to save them from excessive bills.

Userlevel 6

Also plausible.

With unlimited min and increased capacity, this is probably some old holdover that should be ixnayed .

Userlevel 5

Hey there! We appreciate the feedback and this is a concern we have seen several times here on the community, At this time, we have no plans to lift this 4 hour limit as it does help with accidental calls and relieves network congestion. I have not tested this on WiFi calling so I cannot confirm but if you and your BF regularly spend 4+ hours on the phone, you both may want to look into a 3rd party VoIP app that has no limitations.

I personally use Discord with my gaming buddies as it has open voice channels that can be joined and left at any time and it has a chat function 😊 It's free and can be used on mobile devices as well as computers. You can create your on private server that is just for yalls calls to each other.

Good to know there's no expectation for this four hour cap to be removed. It's not really a big issue for me, but it's now something my girlfriend and I are constantly aware of as it happens once or twice everyday.

The suggestion to use Discord or a desktop software is borderline offensive and you should not say that ever again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@tmo_chris is just trying to give you options, just as I am when I suggest using Hangouts (my daughter and I talk that way ALL the time!). 😉

Userlevel 6

Or a Google Duo video or voice call.

They need to change this, especially right now when we're having to be on hold for hours to fix travel issues due to covid-19 and some places have you on hold for 4 hours before someone picks up (yes this has happened to me several times now) or close to 4 hours and then the call drops in the middle of the conversation.

The limit seems to be gone now!

The limit seems to be gone now!

Nope, just extended to 8 hours. My boyfriend and I are long distance. The phone cuts off at 8 hours exactly. :(