Solved

Why am I randomly not receiving texts?

• 8 August 2019
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

61 replies

I have this same issue and it should be unacceptable! It happened on my previous phone (iPhone X), but did not appear to happen in over a year. Recently purchased an iPhone 12Pro Max and I am missing multiple group chat  messages/conversations and messages from individual people. 

The messages I am missing are from both iPhone and Android users. I know I am missing them because people are sending me screenshots of the conversation that verify I am not receiving messages since they don't show up on my end. I have restarted my iPhone, and have ensured that it happens when I am both connected to WiFi and only connected to T-Mobile’s towers. 

Has anyone figured out a solution?! I have missed important texts regarding work that I would never know about if coworkers had not sent me screenshots. Also, I missed a text about a family member having a medical issue and having to be sent to the hospital (figured that out by receiving a phone call since I never responded to the text that never appeared on my phone). Who knows what conversations I am actually missing. 

I am extremely frustrated and this should not be happening given the amount of money I pay T-Mobile every month.  

I’ve been having a similar problem where I get no texts (even though people send them), my outgoing texts seem to arrive OK. And then for some unknown reason the incoming messages all show up but don’t show the time they were sent, but the time they arrived on the phone - a Google Pixel XL.

I went to the Play Store and it shows that Google Messages is already installed. That makes sense on a Google phone. Am I supposed to uninstall and re-install it?

Also, just to be clear, I’m turning WiFi off ON THE PHONE? And assuming the download of Google Messages will happen over LTE?

Thanks for your help.

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else here with random missed texts. Wi-Fi on Wi-Fi off, from an Android User or an Apple user, the randomness and weirdness of the missing texts either that I send or that are sent to me continues to happen. What is going on here?! Any of us who have a business cannot run a business this way and I'm seeing that T-Mobile has not responded in a way to adequately address this problem which is deeply disappointing because I like TMobile in most other regards but I just can't have people try to contact me, and me them and never know if the messages have been received or sent. it's incredibly frustrating. I hate to say it but it seems that this issue is widespread and won't be resolved until they lose enough business. Come on T-Mobile, we all expect better from you and you're just showing us that you can't or won't fix this problem that is clearly not a one-off or just isolated to Apple.

I have been having this same issue for about a month.  I have also tried all the troubleshooting things mentioned, turning phone off, clearing up storage space (I have 20GB of free space).  It doesn’t matter where I am located, home, work, etc..  It seems to happen with any group text where there are both iPhone and non-iPhone users.  The texts missed are never consistent.  Sometimes it’s a text or two in the middle of a conversation, sometimes an image, sometimes entire conversations that last more than a day between other friends and me.  I can be in the same house and our group family chat will send some texts back and forth and I will receive some of the texts but not all of them.  It’s definitely happening more frequently with texts missed every day now.  About a month ago, it came to my attention it was happening, then 3 days later I received about 150 texts in various group texts right after another in the same minute (early on a Saturday morning).  Now I just don’t get the texts ever, or occasionally I’ll get a text a day or two later from someone that makes no sense in the context and that’s when I learn that text is just coming through now but was from days ago in another conversation.  I have been on the phone multiple times with TMobile and then gone to their store to change the SIM card (their suggestion, but even at suggesting they didn’t think that would fix it but had no other ideas on how to fix).  Ultimately, they connected me to Apple support who took down information and sent me an email to communicate questions with them, but that was two weeks ago and they haven’t been in touch with me since despite me emaling them asking to look at this again 3 more times. 

Has anyone tried the previous solutions tmbileuser proposed and did it work?  

Is anyone certain where the problem originates?  TMobile says to go to Apple, everyone I talk to about it says to get a new phone (I have an iPhone 7+), but why if it’s not the actual phone causing the problem - which I don’t think it is.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This one is easy. has done it to some of my android (mostly lg’s) phones.

pay attention! but it’s straight forward.

turn off wifi.

if you do NOT use it, that’s fine, you can get rid of it after.

download google messages from the play store. keep wifi off after you download it and install it.

install it, accept and permit all necessaries access to your phone.

simply go to and enable chat features, it will either ask you or go under settings, in the messages app. accept whatever! let it set up until it says ready to use or chat features are active.

should start working almost instantly or within the minute, and texts etc will start going thru.

once that happens, TURN ON wifi, so it syncs in the system.

that’s it. use the phone like you always have.

keep using messages or get rid of it and go back to your phone’s messaging app if you like.

I had mine on, but I believe it is irrelevant if you have wifi calling on or off.

this little process always and magically corrects this problem. this is a wifi/data configuration thing that needs to be tweaked, corrected, once you got a new phone with the same num or simcard that has been transferred over. even if the phone is defaulted to stock or simply the phone has not been “refreshed” in a while.

if you already do use messages, follow the same steps. if it was already on, turn it off and restart the phone, then do the steps from above. :]

I've been having the same issue for years on a moto g5 plus. The worst part is that it most consistently misses texts from my wife, often at bad times, causing a couple fights.

She has an iPhone but texts to her father's galaxy always go through. We're all on the same family plan so it's not an inter-carrier thing. 

Location, time of day, and wifi connection don't seem to matter. 

It also misses texts from others and sometimes texts I try to send get stuck in a sending state indefinitely. I've had calls go straight to voicemail with no ring and sometimes no notification, and occasionally an outgoing call will just stay silent, never even attempting to dial out.

Tech support has been involved 2 or 3 times but nothing they do / have me do seems to last very long, if it ever did anything at all. They now claim its a problem with my phone. Have other people had luck switching phones? If so, are there any phones that are known to have similar issues that I should avoid? Are there certain bands that are required for communication stability? I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a new phone and have the same issues. Honestly, if that happens we may switch carriers. I like tmobile but it's not worth damaging my relationship. 

I have been dealing with this problem for MONTHS!!!  And it is driving me absolutely crazy!  My husband had me update my Messages to the Chat thing?  I don’t know.  It wasn’t an option when I first started having issues, but when I reactivated Messages, it automatically updated it.  So I am hoping that worked?  But then I promptly switched back to my other texting app (I had the problem whether I used Messages or my other app).  I’m hoping that by upgrading the Messages to Chat that it adjusted something in the system that will make messages go through.  

This is not a solved issue. I have been trying to get notifications set up with a vendor. I am on a Samsung S8. I have tried it with wifi off and on and rebooted the phone. I have requested the same notification at least a dozen times over the past two hours, but no message.

My setup has no blocked messages.

I did receive a notification from TM on a different subject.

I have seen this in the past. It seems to be related to specific numbers rather than a general outage.

I am having this exact same issue and I have yet to hear/find resolution! I’m thinking I may just switch carriers to resolve it. Has anyone else figured out how to prevent the issue?

Happens to my new TMobile Branded Moto G7 Power connected or not connected to wifi.  Spent hours on the phone with tech support with no solution.  It is definitely a network infrastructure problem that no one can figure out.  I have a non TM Moto G7 power that has sometimes has the same issue.  Not as fruequently as the new one.  Only consistent thing is the problem happens with TM to TM txts.

I may have figured this out. It seems if I'm connected to my wifi network, the issue comes up. Note that I am not using wifi-calling, I'm simply connected to it for internet at home so I don't use up my data plan. Seems being connected to wifi is what's causing this. I've stayed off my wifi for the past 2 days and I haven't experienced the issue. I never had this issue with TMobile branded phones, so I think this is something that only comes up with non-TMobile branded phones.

Hi!,

Same problem here.

Random loss of text connectivity.

Started about 2 weeks ago.

Can't send or receive.

Sometimes, rebooting my phone (LG V40) will make it work.

Living in north university sector of Charlotte, NC.

I get the same issue. On the face of it, it's almost as if my connection to the cell phone tower goes to sleep if there's a period of inactivity on my phone and, at this point, my phone only pings the tower every hour to see if there are any incoming text messages to pick up. I can make it check immediately if I send myself a text message, though. I don't know the true cause, but it is annoying as heck.

I'm using an unlocked AT&T phone, Galaxy S7. I've used unlocked phones in the past with T-Mobile network, though, never had any issues. So, I don't think it's the phone.

I'm having the same issue. Nokia 7.1 updated to latest firmware and OS.

Greetings Mengenta10512260

I have the same exact issue as you describe above. When I discover that I am no longer receiving text messages, voice mail activities or phone calls.

I text with customer service to have my phone line refreshed. This request usually does the trick. I am currently waiting for the massive amount of missed texts to come through.

I am going to contact Network support Monday to see what they have to say about this.

Best of luck.

I'm having the same issue, and have called customer service twice and have spoken to tech ops. I've given specific instances, with phone numbers and times, and have found TMobile doesn't have record of the messages coming in.

Still haven't heard back.

Same here!  My wife and have have recently seen this first hand on one of our family group texts along with a couple of other group groups texts.  Now we are really considering moving back to Verizon and paying a little move for reliability.

Same thing's happening to me. It's more than  annoying, it's horrendous. Seems like it might be a breach of contact too. Has anyone found actual solution yet or do we all just need to fire T-Mobile en masse?

Any luck yet @stjp​? Same with the phone calls for me. The phone could be in my hand at the time and nothing! Also very random. Not on certain days, certain people, etc.

The only thing I've come to learn on my own is my phone doesn't have band 12, but this issue still makes no sense as that shouldn't effect texts and calls, I don't think. Seems like it would make my data work better in certain buildings and allow me to to voice over LTE which I didn't even know was a thing.

I am having the exact same issues described here! Random texts not received & or not sent to people. Not consistent. Like just a few texts don't go through. and then screenshots of the texts verify that there are messages missing right after. Not usually MMS. small texts such as "whats up?" This has caused me many missed connections and frustrations.  Also I experience people telling me they called, but I have no record of a missed call and no ring.

PLEASE HELP FIX  THIS I DO NOT WANT TO SWITCH CARRIERS BUT THIS IS A REAL PAIN AND HONESTLY I EXPECT BETTER FROM T-MOBILE.

No, I did not receive anything and now I am also having an issue where people call me and it goes right to voicemail with no notification of a call.

I already contacted TMobile before making this post and to be honest this has caused so many complications I'm ready to switch to another carrier. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Userlevel 3

Happy Monday, @crw924​!

Just checking in to see if you've had an update to the ticket that MC recommended you file last week. It generally takes about 72 business hours for our engineers to begin investigation so there should be some notes as to what's going on. You may need to Community-2153 if you haven't heard anything back yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Have you gotten an updates on it? Sorry it's still going on but there's usually notes from the engineering team with a status.

Thanks for opening the ticket. The problem still has not been resolved.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Alright. Filing a Trouble Ticket with our Tech team is best route to go. They'll need specific examples of text messages that failed, and that'll help them look into what's going on.