Solved

Why am I randomly not receiving texts?

• 8 August 2019
  • 61 replies

A few months ago it came to my attention that I was not receiving certain messages from what seemed like a single person (they showed me their phone proving they in fact had sent me these messages).  Then it happened with another friend. Both these individuals have iPhones and are on T-Mobile. I'm an Android user.

It is seemingly completely random, sometimes even in the middle of a conversation, selective texts sent seconds or minutes apart will not come through.

So far I have tried:

• Changing to the stock texting app (I normally use Mood)
  • Clearing the text app cache
  • uninstalling and reinstalling Mood
  • changing the SIM
  • T-Mobile advised me to do some kind of reset (which all it did was make me have to put in all my WiFi passwords again)
  • full factory reset
  • Confirmed APN settings
  • Bought another damn phone.

Annoying that I could never figure out wth was happening, but no matter, it seemed like things were working. Well, the problem has returned, and it's very difficult to troubleshoot or know when it's happening because it's not like there's an error message. I don't find out until days or weeks later, and I imagine sometimes never at all. People think I'm just ignoring them.

I have also had issues where texts come in very delayed, I'm talking anywhere from like a half hour to 24 hours later.

These are just regular old sms texts, usually brief ones too, not group chats media etc., if that matters.

Is it possible that that I am momentarily losing service when these messages are being sent and they just kind of disappear into the void? lol

Solutions?

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 20 August 2019, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

61 replies

Userlevel 5

it could be that the other user has not set up iMessage to send as regular SMS message to Android if iMessage is unavailable at the time they send the message. This could be because they are in a weak signal area when they attempted to send the message.

Sorry, I forgot that the whole iMessage thing has been ruled out and just now it's been brought to my attention that at least one of them isn't getting MY messages, though from my send they appear sent.

Sorry, I forgot that the whole iMessage thing has been ruled out and just now it's been brought to my attention that at least one of them isn't getting MY messages, though from my send they appear sent.

Userlevel 5

Interestingly enough there are a few Verizon customers that did not received some of my reply texts yesterday. One of them on iPhone and one on Android. So maybe it's carrier related.

I got a new S10+ after having this problem on my LG G6. I figured the LG G6 was just old and I needed a new phone. After trouble shooting the phone they said to exchange the phone since I was in my 14 day period. Haven't had an issues since I exchanged the phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Might be kind a tough to answer since the messages are coming from them, but has there been any trend as to where they're sending them? Or a specific time of the day they're sending the messages you're not getting?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Are you still having trouble? Please keep us updated and let us know how things are going.

Glad you're problem is solved 😊 but as I said, I already replaced my phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by where they're sending them, sorry. They're just regular sms texts to my number.

No specific time of day.

I can rule out the service in my house theory though, as it happened while out a few days ago.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I'm curious if they're sending from a specific address when they're not going through, or if it's happening regardless of where they're sending from.

No particular location, happens when they're sending them from work, home, etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Alright. Filing a Trouble Ticket with our Tech team is best route to go. They'll need specific examples of text messages that failed, and that'll help them look into what's going on.

Thanks for opening the ticket. The problem still has not been resolved.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Have you gotten an updates on it? Sorry it's still going on but there's usually notes from the engineering team with a status.

Userlevel 3

Happy Monday, @crw924​!

Just checking in to see if you've had an update to the ticket that MC recommended you file last week. It generally takes about 72 business hours for our engineers to begin investigation so there should be some notes as to what's going on. You may need to Community-2153 if you haven't heard anything back yet.

No, I did not receive anything and now I am also having an issue where people call me and it goes right to voicemail with no notification of a call.

I already contacted TMobile before making this post and to be honest this has caused so many complications I'm ready to switch to another carrier. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

I am having the exact same issues described here! Random texts not received & or not sent to people. Not consistent. Like just a few texts don't go through. and then screenshots of the texts verify that there are messages missing right after. Not usually MMS. small texts such as "whats up?" This has caused me many missed connections and frustrations.  Also I experience people telling me they called, but I have no record of a missed call and no ring.

PLEASE HELP FIX  THIS I DO NOT WANT TO SWITCH CARRIERS BUT THIS IS A REAL PAIN AND HONESTLY I EXPECT BETTER FROM T-MOBILE.

Any luck yet @stjp​? Same with the phone calls for me. The phone could be in my hand at the time and nothing! Also very random. Not on certain days, certain people, etc.

The only thing I've come to learn on my own is my phone doesn't have band 12, but this issue still makes no sense as that shouldn't effect texts and calls, I don't think. Seems like it would make my data work better in certain buildings and allow me to to voice over LTE which I didn't even know was a thing.

Same thing's happening to me. It's more than  annoying, it's horrendous. Seems like it might be a breach of contact too. Has anyone found actual solution yet or do we all just need to fire T-Mobile en masse?

Same here!  My wife and have have recently seen this first hand on one of our family group texts along with a couple of other group groups texts.  Now we are really considering moving back to Verizon and paying a little move for reliability.

I'm having the same issue, and have called customer service twice and have spoken to tech ops. I've given specific instances, with phone numbers and times, and have found TMobile doesn't have record of the messages coming in.

Still haven't heard back.

Greetings Mengenta10512260

I have the same exact issue as you describe above. When I discover that I am no longer receiving text messages, voice mail activities or phone calls.

I text with customer service to have my phone line refreshed. This request usually does the trick. I am currently waiting for the massive amount of missed texts to come through.

I am going to contact Network support Monday to see what they have to say about this.

Best of luck.

I'm having the same issue. Nokia 7.1 updated to latest firmware and OS.

I get the same issue. On the face of it, it's almost as if my connection to the cell phone tower goes to sleep if there's a period of inactivity on my phone and, at this point, my phone only pings the tower every hour to see if there are any incoming text messages to pick up. I can make it check immediately if I send myself a text message, though. I don't know the true cause, but it is annoying as heck.

I'm using an unlocked AT&T phone, Galaxy S7. I've used unlocked phones in the past with T-Mobile network, though, never had any issues. So, I don't think it's the phone.

Hi!,

Same problem here.

Random loss of text connectivity.

Started about 2 weeks ago.

Can't send or receive.

Sometimes, rebooting my phone (LG V40) will make it work.

Living in north university sector of Charlotte, NC.