Solved

Why is my data throttled when a fresh ConnectMe says I have 96 MB of high-speed data remaining?

• 20 October 2016
  • 7 replies
  • 1 view

A refreshed ConnectMe page says I have 96 MB of high-speed data remaining, yet I am being throttled.  The

remaining data reported squares with my figures, and this has happened before.

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 20 October 2016, 23:26

That second link is going to be for my.t-mobile.com which will show usage for prepaid and postpaid voice lines. Since you have a mobile internet pass, it will redirect you to https://mim.t-mobile.com/‌ which is the Connect Me page where you can see your usage.

You are right though as we will need to catch this while it is happening in order to see what is going on and if your last 100 MB has ran out, we would need to wait until it starts happening again on your new pass.

View original

7 replies

Slow data is no fun! Where specifically do you see that you are being throttled? What kind of device do you have and how many bars of signal does it show that you have? Do you have a 3G, 4G, or LTE next to the bars?

Speeds are reported several ways, and are ~15-16 KB/sec (that's bytes, not inflated bits) when throttled.

The download apps (wget, curl) report current speed, a netspeed applet reports current speed, gkrellm

draws a speed chart, and it takes about 6 seconds for a 0.1 MB change reported on the device's display.

I can also do arithmetic based on file size and clock time.

When I am not being throttled, I get 5-8 MB/sec (again, that's B = bytes, not b = bits).

The device is a Netgear AirCard 340U.

Three bars of signal strength are displayed, and 4G LTE.

Thanks for clarifying 😊 With three bars of LTE you should be good. Outside the downloaded apps, are you noticing that your speeds are slow when browsing the web? I know you said that this has happened before, did it resolve itself on its own? When did you start noticing this again?

Good grief, man -- it is being throttled, trust me!  And of course I notice it

when using a browser -- in fact, trying to load two or three pages at once takes

forever (especially the bloated T-Mobile pages).

This did not resolve itself.  A couple of times I was anxious to finish downloading

some large files, and poured more money into data passes.  Both times, the speed

jumped from 15 KB/sec to 5-8 MB/sec within about 30 seconds of T-Mobile getting my

money.

I noticed the throttling the same way each time -- I was keeping an eye on download

progress and speed, and both times, when I got down to about 100 MB high-speed remaining,

speed dropped to 15 KB/sec (from 5-8 MB/sec).

BTW, 'wget' and 'curl' are not "downloaded apps", they are dwnload apps -- i.e., apps

used for downloading.  Both give detailed progress reports.

It does sound like something is happening on the account side if you are only noticing this when you get to about 100 MB left. Have you had a chance to reach out to our tech support teams yet? If not, they will be able to take a look at your account and see if there is any indication that your speeds have been reduced. If the network is improperly reducing your speeds when you still have data left on your pass, we can get a ticket open for you so that our support teams can find the problem and fix it so this does not continue happening.

Well, in the past two hours, the remaining 100 MB of supposedly high-speed

data shown in ConnectMe has gone down to 0 .  So there's probably no

point in calling Tech Support until this happens the next time.

BTW, in the "tech support teams" link (http://www.t-mobile.com/contact-us.html)

there's a "Check your usage" link (under "How do I check my balance, data,

or minutes?") that goes to https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1286 .

That contains:

Check usage from a computer

1.Go to My T-Mobile and log in to your account.

2 Select USAGE. If you have a prepaid account, your usage is displayed

in the My current plan section.

But, in typical T-Mobile fashion, there is no "USAGE" or "My current plan"

anywhere there.

That second link is going to be for my.t-mobile.com which will show usage for prepaid and postpaid voice lines. Since you have a mobile internet pass, it will redirect you to https://mim.t-mobile.com/‌ which is the Connect Me page where you can see your usage.

You are right though as we will need to catch this while it is happening in order to see what is going on and if your last 100 MB has ran out, we would need to wait until it starts happening again on your new pass.