Question

Why is my mobile hotspot limit so low only 5gb when I have a 50gb data cap?

• 5 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Why is my mobile hotspot limit so low only 5gb when I have a 50gb data cap? Databis data isn’t it? It shouldn’t matter whether I use it on my phone or use hotspot to provide “wifi” to my computer. Why does Tmobile limit hotspot data so much on an “unlimited” data plan. Doesn’t seem very unlimited to me! Seems very limited considering an hour of video is a GB! I guess they can charge for more data because they have a * in the contract that basically makes unlimited not unlimited!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The agreement is for your phone specifically, not your phone and everything else you have.  Data isn’t unlimited if you want to think about it as you only get 30 days instead of the rest of your life.  There are restrictions.  

Best way to put it.  You own a lake and someone pays for their horse to drink from it, but then that person brings their pigs, cows, and other animals not their horse which breaks the agreement you had. You’d find ways to stop that or terminate the agreement.  That’s how to think unlimited data on cellular networks are.  

Badge

That’s about it. If you reach out to technical support they’ll extend your GBs to 50, I have a 100, it’s so slow the last couple of days..I just paid my bill.. that shouldn’t be a problem

T-Mobile has recently deprioritized their hotspot to the point where it is unusable in my area. The terms of service claim they only do it when it's congested but I'm sure that my tower is not congested at 3:00 in the morning. Phone gets 150mbps... Laptop gets .03mbps. I hid tethering to test my hypothesis and sure enough... 150mbps on my laptop.