Question

Why is T-Mobile mail-to-SMS gateway sporadically blocking GMail?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use the mail-to-SMS gateway to text me at different times of the day.  For example, to alert me to do something on my to-do list, or to tell me if some long-running program on my PC, such as a backup, is completed.

Often the text comes through as expected.  But, quite frequently, I get a message from GMail telling me that the email has been rejected , with a message similar to this:

421 4.1.0 <account@neurogami.com> sender rejected AUP#CDRBL

That email a via a custom domain that uses GMail to handle mail.

The curious thing is that this email (and a few others that are also custom domains with mail handled by GMail) is not really backlisted (as I think CDRBL suggests).  Some messages from that account get through.  In fact, Google will attempt re-delivery for quite some time if a message is rejected, and very often the mail does eventually get to me (albeit a day or two late).

My guess is that T-Mobile is rejecting messages relayed by one or another Google mail server, but not all of them.    When a message is eventually resent via one of the servers T-Mobile seems to like,  it gets though.

Meanwhile it sort of makes the mail-to-SMS gateway less than useful, as the idea of text messaging is that it’s fairly immediate.

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

You're still in the random delay phase. All my email-to-sms messages have been completely blocked for nearly 2 weeks now. And they were getting randomly delayed since April. I'm a Sprint customer, and this started before I even installed the T-Mobile SIM card on May 31st.

I do the same as you. My raspberry pi sends me messages from my automations.

I was just about to switch to Verizon because support has been less than helpful, but I decided to search for people on Verizon with the same problem… and they have it too!

My hunch is that it's spam filtering from a third party. T-mobile uses Cloudfilter and Verizon uses cloudmark. Both run on Amazon web services. I suspect it's triggered by a spam-like usage pattern or something. But I'm just guessing really.

My wife also recently reported that she’s not receiving picture messages a friend is sending her, but it's a group thread, so she can see that people are commenting on the pictures. I suspect it's the same root problem, but all I can do is guess since the support people are clueless.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What’s frustrating is that some messages, a few, never reach me.  But many others just show up hours late, or the next day.   It’s not spam blocking per se, since the messages get through eventually.   Even the exact same message will take different durations to reach me. It just seems so random.

I've been having the same problem here. I have our security cameras user the gateway to text images from the motion detection feature of BlueIris. Since about 4 days ago these texts have been sporadically rejected, but some get through after Gmail retires.  If it is a new spam filter it could be due to the pattern, so it may be worth trying to mix up the content.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Only 4 days ago? Mine started getting randomly delayed around the end of April. Changing the message content makes no difference. I send on average 10-12 different messages a day this way.  Perhaps 1 or 2 in 10 messages in my experience is significantly delayed.

About maybe a week or so ago, I worked around this issue by writing an applescript that sends SMS messages via the messages app instead of the email to text service. No more delays. No more blocks. The only concern I have with it is that it likely requires my phone has a data or WiFi connection, which somewhat defeats the purpose, but my understanding is that SMS messages will soon require a data connection anyway since the 2G network infrastructure is being decommissioned.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've been having the same problem here. I have our security cameras user the gateway to text images from the motion detection feature of BlueIris. Since about 4 days ago these texts have been sporadically rejected, but some get through after Gmail retires.  If it is a new spam filter it could be due to the pattern, so it may be worth trying to mix up the content.

It’s not the pattern.  Same content, on different days or times, might get through, or might blocked,  it’s all pretty arbitrary.   

GMail keeps re-sending a messages that get rejected (I think for up to 4 days).  So I will sometimes get a text on time, but most other times a text will show up hours later, or a day later, 2 days later.  Or never.

My guess is that the Amazon service (Cloudfront)  T-Mobile is using to control spam is poorly configured, uses multiple servers, and some of those servers block things for no real reason, while others let the messages through, 

It’s basically a crap shoot, and nobody at T-Mobile cares about this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s not the pattern.  Same content, on different days or times, might get through, or might blocked,  it’s all pretty arbitrary.   

GMail keeps re-sending a messages that get rejected (I think for up to 4 days).  So I will sometimes get a text on time, but most other times a text will show up hours later, or a day later, 2 days later.  Or never.

My guess is that the Amazon service (Cloudfront)  T-Mobile is using to control spam is poorly configured, uses multiple servers, and some of those servers block things for no real reason, while others let the messages through, 

It’s basically a crap shoot, and nobody at T-Mobile cares about this.

My messages eventually got completely blocked. The emails bounced back with the error “sender rejected”. I made multiple calls to both Speint and T-Mobile about this. Most of the support people are clueless about this, but I finally got a tier 2 guy named Dan who knew what was going on. He created a ticket with CloudMark. CloudMark responded that “users” reported my email as a source of spam, which I know was BS because I created that email address to exclusively use email-to-text to *only* send messages to myself. And it wasn't hacked. They un-black-listed my email address and messages resumed. But they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't get blacklisted again. That was about 2 weeks worth of messages blocked. The thing that tells me that their implementation is poor is that a customer has no way to know if they never received a legitimate message (unless they were sending it to themselves). So I submitted a complaint to the FCC, whose new requirements implemented this year requiring providers to address spam started all this. I have no problem with fighting spam. It's the implementation that is the problem. Customers should have a spam box and the ability to whitelist senders.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This same issue is being discussed in another thread (where Hepcat reported getting some help)

Badge

Im having the same problem as well “blocked AUP#CDRBL” Hopefully we can all get this resolved or I might find a new carrier.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Im having the same problem as well “blocked AUP#CDRBL” Hopefully we can all get this resolved or I might find a new carrier.

According to what I’ve learned, all the major carriers are using the same spam filter contractor (CloudMark).  I checked and there are people complaining about this same problem in other carriers’ forums. If you don’t have a mac where you can run my applescript workaround to this problem, you have 2 options: tell the sprint/T-Mobile support people that they need to create a ticket with CloudMark to un-block the email address you’re sending from or switch carriers (which may be a faster fix than calling repeatedly until you get a TMo/Sprint support person who knows what CloudMark is).

Badge

According to what I’ve learned, all the major carriers are using the same spam filter contractor (CloudMark).  I checked and there are people complaining about this same problem in other carriers’ forums. If you don’t have a mac where you can run my applescript workaround to this problem, you have 2 options: tell the sprint/T-Mobile support people that they need to create a ticket with CloudMark to un-block the email address you’re sending from or switch carriers (which may be a faster fix than calling repeatedly until you get a TMo/Sprint support person who knows what CloudMark is).

Thanks ill give that a try. Is there a number to contact them easier than 611?

Userlevel 1
Badge

. If you don’t have a mac where you can run my applescript workaround to this problem, you have 2 options: tell the sprint/T-Mobile support people that they need to create a ticket with CloudMark to un-block the email address you’re sending from or switch carriers (which may be a faster fix than calling repeatedly until you get a TMo/Sprint support person who knows what CloudMark is).

Switching is not a real good option for me, so I’ll complain.   But the idea that every single person who has this issue has to request each and every sending address be white-listed is nuts.  But even that doesn’t solve all the issues.

Another data point, to show haw crappy CloudMark is:  I created a new gmail address, one that can’t possibly have been flagged for anything.  I’ve been sending messages using this new account, and at first none were rejected, but they took hours, or days, to arrive.  It’s insane. 

I just checked now for bounce messages, and now even this three-day-old address is getting blocked.

This goes way beyond spam filtering.  This is just ineptitude.

To add insult to injury, this Website blocks me if I am using my self-hosted VPN. :) I have to disable it in order to get here and post.   I think this is just another example of clueless “filtering”; my colo server must be in some “suspect” IP range so I just get blocked, absent any actual spamming behavior.