Why no deals for long time customers?

• 24 November 2017
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am so tired of only seeing deals for new customers or only those that add a line. We have been t-mobile customers for 15 years and have all the lines we need. Why shouldn't we be able to just walk in and take advantage of advertised deals instead of spending tons of time on the phone trying to get elevated to a special department?

41 replies

Userlevel 5

You do get offers.

Netflix

tmo tuesdays

every uncarrier announcement

free lines

digits

added data threshold

There are trade in deals deals without adding lines

Just have to stay abreast of offers.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What I'm primarily interested are the bogo offers.

Tami Duvall

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately the bogo offers require a line added whether you've been with Tmobile for a month or 20 years.

A lot of people add a line and after they get the rebate cancel the line the next month.

Too much work for me.

Agree.  I have been with tmo for many years, and already have as many lines as im allowed.  So, i can't even get another line.  i have been promoting tmo for years, and now im not so sure i want to.  i went to the store today to upgrade one of my lines to a note8 and the ending price was actually more than if i were to buy it outright by 40.00.  its really unbelievable how tmo treats loyal customers.  i apparently don't qualify for the netflix on my account, and, NEVER, will anyone in the store go over discussions with me to talk about options.  i have stuck with tmo for all these years because the price was always good.  but it seems like they have started to go the way of cable companies and only appreciate the new customers and avoid the current.  it would be nice to know the loyalty meant something to them.

Userlevel 5

Loyalty to a company that wants your money?  No. Stay loyal to yourself and own best interests.

Userlevel 4

T-mobile have a variety of limited time deals being offered all the time, as customers we have to grab them before they expire. Currently There is an Alcatel tablet available for FREE and you are not necessarily  required to add a line. You just need to have atleast an eligible tablet line of 2GB+ to qualify. If you already have a 2GB tablet line you can score yourself a FREE TABLET but you will be required to pay the sales tax upfront on the tablet. If you don't have a tablet line, you will have to add a line to qualify. Next month I'm sure more deals will appear.😉

Userlevel 1
Badge

I agree, after all we pay for service and cost of these phones... It's only right that people, after so many years, should receive some type of kick-back.

EXAMPLE: They only charge an extra $5 on the bill for unlimited data. Why not give loyal customers an incentive and give it to them for free? waive the $5. God knows you people make enough off us.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

magenta2158072 wrote:

I agree, after all we pay for service and cost of these phones... It's only right that people, after so many years, should receive some type of kick-back.

EXAMPLE: They only charge an extra $5 on the bill for unlimited data. Why not give loyal customers an incentive and give it to them for free? waive the $5. God knows you people make enough off us.

Long Term customers are grandfathered into the plan they have.  They will not take it away or change it's price.  There is no expiration to the plan you selected. That's a pretty good incentive when you compare it to other carriers where they give you a price for a year and viola price goes up $100 in some cases after the promotional plan period is over.  Often in the long run being on that legacy plan saves you more than that BOGO will give you for a new customer because they on average spend at least $20-30 more than a person on legacy plans before device payments are calculated.

We all got that new customer offering when we all joined a carrier.  You'll be on the same boat on ANY OTHER CARRIER after you switch.  The new customer that just got this deal will be in the same place you are if they want to get a new promotional offer.  Doesn't matter the carrier at all.  What people should really look for a make sure they ensure they have the coverage they are paying for.

Just a heads up for example I am on a really good Legacy plan, and I have other promotional lines to the point I pay $160 for 8 lines.  With employee discount(I work for the DoD) I end up play $130 for 8 lines.  Sure I lose out on certain BOGO's and such, but compared to all other carriers and compared to new customers I save myself at least $120 a month iirc.  I cut my kids off and switched to the 55+ and now pay $60 for 2 lines.  At that point still lose certain promotions, but I save $60-80 a month compared to new customers who are not 55+.  The ones that are 55+ they can't take advantage of a lot of the promotions either so it's a bit moot for that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I get what you're saying and sometimes these old plans pay off in the end. (over time) but that still does nothing for the guy like myself that has been a loyal customer for 5 yrs faithfully and never really caught any breaks. I like T-mobile but it doesn't mean I wouldn't change for a better deal. Not like they would care enough to keep me around by giving a reason to do so.

Guess there's just way too many people out there willing to pay the high price for services, that they just figure (TMobile), there are more people in line after me to worry about the few that have differences of opinion

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

magenta2158072 wrote:

I get what you're saying and sometimes these old plans pay off in the end. (over time) but that still does nothing for the guy like myself that has been a loyal customer for 5 yrs faithfully and never really caught any breaks. I like T-mobile but it doesn't mean I wouldn't change for a better deal. Not like they would care enough to keep me around by giving a reason to do so.

Guess there's just way too many people out there willing to pay the high price for services, that they just figure (TMobile), there are more people in line after me to worry about the few that have differences of opinion

Show me a better deal on any other carrier with a BOGO.  Sprint seems really good but the fine print depending on plan and lines at the end of 2 years you end up paying more on Sprint at the end of the day.  A friend of mine decided to try and go to Sprint and compare his plan which you might be on because he been with T-Mobile for 3 years promotional plan(all customers can switch to them.  The end results he'll be on the same boat as you claim and end up paying more in the long run because that promo plan ends him paying $190 instead of $120 after 1 year.  the second year being tied in he paid for that device is supposedly got for free and after that he starts losing money.  If he wants to get another bogo he has to add a line, or switch carriers.

Offers look good on paper, but truth be told sometimes they are not as good if people actually check the numbers.

I receive texts and emails with great deals. The one I received this week was a BOGO for Samsung Galaxy.

I love my T-Mobile service. I only have had two (2) cities that I don't have T-Mobile service, but I understand that's changing.

Everyone is saying the same thing, So you need to ask yourself are you getting the best bang for your buck. I believe no one currently beats TMO value. I'll use my plan.

North American Simple Choice Family Promo;

4 lines with Unl Talk&Text $150 additional lines $30

Unlimited 4gb LTE Smartphone data  ****14GB LTE Mobile Hotspot****

Tablet W/ 5gb matched + 200mb for life $20(-$10)  simple choice discount

wearable $15($10)

Tablet 6GB data / Data stash $35(-$10) simple choice discount + 50% of AAL(-$12.50)

with my plan I've cord cut from cable.

$150 + $30 + $10+ $5 + $12.50 = $207.50(plus taxes and fees) and I get a government discount former DOD, now with DOJ. what makes my plan valuable,

the 14gb LTE hotspot with binge on it keeps me well within 14GB. the era of free flagship phones are gone. Show me any carrier that has anything remotely better.

Userlevel 5

nelfar212 wrote:

the era of free flagship phones are gone. Show me any carrier that has anything remotely better.

Never was a flagship phone free.

Thats what the extra $20 a month for 2 years on contract was for.

Userlevel 3

Hi, @tamimd67​.

I know that a lot of our Community members have offered feedback here; and I hope that it's been helpful. While the BOGO offer requirements might not be the best fit for every customer, I do agree with some of the folks here that we are attempting to reward our customers all the time by improving value and increasing the benefit that our customers get simply by merit of choosing us as their service provider. That said, none of the UnCarrier moves or improvements we've made have been created in a vacuum -- they were all the result of customer feedback, and a drive to eliminate eye-pokes and revolutionize the industry. I don't think we'll ever see a return to the days of the discounted or "subsidized" upgrade (the discounts on which were always recouped on the back end with two year service contracts that sometimes even included an advancing price in the second year), because that was the whole reason we stopped doing contracts and started offering interest-free financing -- it just wasn't honest. That said, I do think that your feedback is valid, and I know you're not the only tenured customer we're hearing from​ with this concern. I'll get with Amanda and we'll make sure that this is passed on. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you've been feeling about the recent offers we've had, hearing from our customers is always appreciated.

- Marissa

@snn555​ I honestly cannot remember the last time I was on a contract plan. I forget my 1st plan in 2007, think I had airtime minutes back then, then it was my faves and my favs loyalty I believe ;then the loyalty plan which I believe came out in 08 or 09 I forget anywho I had that plan till I move to simple choice I wasn't a big fan because I gave up my unlimited LTE hotspot (grandfathered) in order for all my lines to increase from 5gb data and no hotspots to what I currently have.

I agree there could be a better way to allow existing customers to take advantage of promos like the Bogo without doing an end around.   

Simply because they don't give a about us. i have always been a customer to this company, and every time i pay 12 months on time they find a way to me off the program from getting my phones at a lower cost. What they do is go by zip codes, and if you live in a zip code that is labeled high risk by insurance companies, then is off buddy.

*edited to soften language - Marissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

miorosco wrote:

Simply because they don't give a fk about us. i have always been a customer to this company, and every time i pay 12 months on time they find a way to fk me off the program from getting my phones at a lower cost. What they do is go by zip codes, and if you live in a zip code that is labeled high risk by insurance companies, then is fk off buddy.

You don't get cheaper phones after paying on time for 12 months but zero down payment.

I clearly did not make my statement correctly, so yes I stand to be corrected. \What I meant to say is exactly what you stated, : They simply do not give you the no or low down payments going into your second year of these types of contracts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It depends on the phone.

Userlevel 3

Hi, @miorosco​! If you're making consistent on time or early payments (without payment arrangements) and you haven't actually been able to take advantage of Smartphone Equality​, then that is a huge issue that one of our teams with account access need to review for you and escalate! We definitely want you to get credit for being such a reliable long-time customer and have the advantage of the lowest down payment tier.
I do want to say that ZIP codes should not have any play in this program at all -- can you elaborate on your experience with that a bit? Thank you!

- Marissa

Yeah, I just got off the phone with TMO.  Been a customer for years.  They had a BOGO on IPhone 8s, only applying to people who aren't TMO customers.  I thanked the rep for reminding me that its time to change carriers.  Even if other companies only offer a 2 year intro price, it's better than what I am paying now and a few of them have drastically better coverage.  My loyalty as a long time TMO customer only goes as far as they are willing to treat their existing customers the same as new customers.  No love there.  This is the only cell phone company I have seen that doesn't look work with existing customers.  I have called a few times and no one even offered to work with me, they simple tried to convince me that they are the best company (even though the prices and coverage are better with others if I switch).  Shows you what they think of loyalty.  It's really disappointing.  This post reminded me of the frustration I keep having in trying to get a deal from TMO that ISN'T for new customers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

All you need to do is add a line and you can take advantage of it. 

Switch carriers and you'll be on the same boat on the next BOGO...  It's the most funniest thing when people complain about deals and they want to go to XYZ carrier because of it.  You'll be boat hopping because all the BOGOs for all carriers is the same.  You need to add a line if you are an existing customer, and if you are a new customer to you need to have two new lines to take advantage of it.

Why should I add a line when I don't need one?  Besides, other companies will try to keep customers by matching deals for new customers to existing customers.  When I was with other carriers before they both did this.  TMO is the only one I have seen that won't do this.  I don't mind switching every 2 years if it means a good deal.  It's not like loyalty to TMO nets you anything.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

kentv wrote:

Why should I add a line when I don't need one? Besides, other companies will try to keep customers by matching deals for new customers to existing customers. When I was with other carriers before they both did this. TMO is the only one I have seen that won't do this. I don't mind switching every 2 years if it means a good deal. It's not like loyalty to TMO nets you anything.

Have fun with that. Go ahead and switch carriers every BOGO that happens all carriers make you add a line for their BOGO's.  They will not match a BOGO ever.  regardless if you been there 10 years or 20 years.  As I have told people Loyalty in a free market doesn't exist, and is nothing but a marketing tool.

Here's a hint on how I know this.

AT&T customer since the 90's and still am

Verizon customer and probably one of their first 100 customers since they were GTE.

Sprint I was customer until 2004 long reasons and involves lawsuits and arbitration.

T-Mobile since they were Voice Stream.

I seen all the deals come and go, and BOGO's always requires add a line to recoup the money they are losing on the device. 

Badge

You are 100% correct. I've been with T-Mobile for 13 years and they've never had incentives, promos, specials, etc for long term loyal customers. And I don't mean a free pretzel, or a free DVD rental which no one ever uses, or some free cup of coffee at some obscure restaurant. I mean a REAL BOGO deal that doesn't require you to sign up for another line. Give us a REAL deal on new high end phone.