Solved

WiFi calls typically drop to one-way audio about 5min into calls

• 9 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Often at work I only have operable service if I have WiFi calling enabled (Since a light railway bridge was built the earthen berm blocks signal from nearest T-Mobile tower).

However, for many months it is common/typical for WiFi calls to drop to one-way audio about 5min into calls.  It is always my audio that drops out...the other person can't hear me...I can always hear them.  I establish a new call and all is good for a short while then back to the one-way audio.

- It does not matter whether I am mobile-originated (outgoing call) or mobile-terminated (inbound call)

- The received audio is always clear, never garbled or breakup

- The same condition will also occur (although not as frequently) when I am at home so the issue is not location dependent

- This problem never occurs if I disable WiFi calling and operating in an area with reliable cell reception

I have an iPhone 7-Plus,  WiFi Calling enabled, WiFi Assist enabled

icon

Best answer by snn555 9 March 2019, 22:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5

I would first disable Wi-Fi assist. If that does not work I would reset the network settings. I had an iPhone 7 plus and Wi-Fi calling worked for me but I also realized that Wi-Fi assist at that time created a lot of issues in many scenarios .

Yesterday the same one-way audio issue occurred this time with WiFi calling disabled therefore I am expecting to be tower issue.  Others in the office (all T-Mobile users and mix of iPhone + Android phones) have, on occasion, had the same one-way audio problem.  It is possible that the same T-Mobile tower might have service covering both my work office and also home therefore accounting for why I have encountered the one-way audio at these two different locations.

I am using the service survey command *3001#12345#* to see if there is a specific tower serving both office and home.  So far seen 3 different serving cells phy_cell_id numbers for operation at home.  I will compare this with work.   Is there a command or utility that will summarize all serving cells over an extended period of time opposed to manually taking periodic real time snapshots?

Seems this is a long time ongoing issue for T-mobile.. I have a brand new phone, I am a brand new customer, but this one way calling issue has been around for at least 5 years according to the forum... If that's the case then it is unlikely that I will get my problem solved. Ugh

This is a screenshot from 5 years ago.. with the exact same issue.. I would have commented there, but it seems the thread is closed to comment

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Seems this is a long time ongoing issue for T-mobile.. I have a brand new phone, I am a brand new customer, but this one way calling issue has been around for at least 5 years according to the forum... If that's the case then it is unlikely that I will get my problem solved. Ugh

which device do you have?

New [1.5 month old] T-Mobil customer with 2 new Motorola G Stylus phones and on  a good day 1 bar of 5g, 4g, LTE service at my home. It appears the phone never can settle on just a cell or WiFi connection if both services are running on the phone.

Any attempt to use WiFi initially failed with one way audio issues assuming I’d even have the phone ring. Most inbound calls just go to voicemail with the phone never ringing.

Searching the Web this certainly appears to be a well known but never addressed issue.

TEMP solution:

Turn on Airplane mode->Turn WiFi back on then we can make/receive calls via WiFi, at home, without issue.

Problem is, if we forget we are in Airplane mode and leave the home, we don’t get any calls.

Attempted Solution: Use a 3rd party APP Tasker to turn on Airplane mode when the phone sees my home WiFi and then turn WiFi back on [airplane mode initially shuts WiFi off] all while we remain at home.

HOWEVER, Android [I believe] will NOT allow Tasker to turn Airplane mode OFF when we leave the house.  I’m not about to try Rooting a new set of phones to correct a T-Mobile created problem.

Secondary problem if at home and in Airplane mode using WiFi, and attempt to send a Text MME message, the text will go through but not a picture unless you happen to notice the picture was not sent and tell the phone to try it again. It will then send the picture.

I’ve posted this on numerous forums, and I’ll have to say I used to get more help from Republic Wireless forums for various issues than anything T-Mobile related.

Very disappointing as I was looking forward to T-Mobile Home Internet if and when it becomes available in my area. Such lack of service however, tells me I should stay with Spectrum.