Solved

After latest android update sms messages hang

Have tried every troubleshooting step I could find online including clearing the partition cache, issue persists. A simple sms text such as "test" takes from 15 minutes to 3 hours to show as sent, with an equal delay in receiving. Has anyone else had this issue? Found a fix? My phone is the Samsung Galaxy S7. sm-g930t android os 7.0

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 13 June 2017, 19:42

Thanks for getting back with us! I think at this point we are going to need to have our engineers look at what is going on with the network side of things. Please Contact Us  when you have some time so that our techs can gather some necessary information.

View original

10 replies

Update, tho my phone has the spinning wheel and status "sending", they are being sent and recieved. Not recieving texts however.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You're absolutely right @djpuck . That's a super long time for just a basic message to be sent or received. Are you using the stock message app? If you are, and you have other 3rd party messaging apps, you'll wanna uninstall them for a bit and retest your messaging. I'd also see if it's specific numbers you're unable to receive them from. Please keep us informed about this. We wanna make sure you're messages go through and are received smoothly. Thanks!

Stock apps messenger and hangouts (did a factory reset trying to resolve) messenger has the delay hangouts does not. If it helps to isolate the issue, trying to activate microsofts authenticator app, im getting error code 15 about turning on push notifications, tho all notifications for that app are turned on, my IT gave up on that one, related maybe? Also, this all began after updating android os to 7.0, prior, everything worked as expected.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for the update! I think it might be worth clearing the cache partition on your phone to see if this corrects any wonkeyness your phone is suffering as part of the large update.

Neither clearing the partition nor a factory reset had made any difference. It's also killing my battery life, seems as though it tries to send for the duration. And, keep in mind we're talking about a simple sms text like "test", nothing large.

Userlevel 5

Okay wow, yeah, this is definitely not right. If this is not happening 100% of the time, have you noticed if it happens more in specific areas? Do you have Wi-Fi turned on when you notice this issue?

Userlevel 6

Hey, @djpuck​, just checking in here. If you're still having trouble with messages hanging, we'd love to know if you've noticed any patterns, as Chris mentioned. Does the issue seem to happen in some areas but not others, or is it better or worse at certain times of day? What about WiFi? Thanks for your input!

- Marissa

still happening, I tried installing a new messaging app, Android Messages - Android Apps on Google Play , this sends texts normally, but I'm still seeing 15+ minutes receiving texts, tested with my wife in our home an hour ago. This happens regardless if im on my 2.5g wireless, 5g wireless, or cell data connections. I have not noticed any variation by time of day, the size of the text or anything really. It simply took a big crap after updating to 7.0.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for getting back with us! I think at this point we are going to need to have our engineers look at what is going on with the network side of things. Please Contact Us  when you have some time so that our techs can gather some necessary information.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hangouts update & Google Chat transition: 

Hangouts Update