Solved

All text messages delivering as SMS

• 31 January 2019
  • 45 replies

A few weeks ago I started to get complaints that my text messages were either going through multiple times or a simple two sentence text is being broken up into two or three texts and being sent out of order. It's becoming maddening for anyone who receives a text from me.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 19 February 2019, 16:22

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey, @askomsky​!

Let's get this figured out! It looks like you're using an iPhone from the screenshots -- can you share with me which model you're using and the iOS version it's running? Also, are these only happening when you're texting other Apple users or does this happen with everyone?

Actually no, I'm on the Samsung Note 8 and the users have been both iPhone

and other Android users.

Userlevel 1

I have never tried other settings for the messages app.

It all depends the format used to send your text. There is special codes that are added to a SMS in order for other devices to separate them.

A SMS is 160 characters, and this is why your text got split.

In messages, open the settings. Then choose More settings.

Then Text messages.

On my Samsung, I have the setting Input mode.

I can choose there :

• GSM alphabet
  • Unicode
  • Automatic

On mine, it is set as Automatic.

I am wondering if thisis the way your SMS will be coded.

Give a try to change from automatic to unicode, or from unicode to automatic.

I do not see any other setting that can affect the fact that your text are split.

Userlevel 1

Actually, this changes from 160 characters to 70 characters, allowing accent and other characters that were not possible in the original SMS before. Must not be your issue.

Try to see if you have this setting :

Settings > Applications > Messages > More Settings > Text Messages > Auto combination

Hello!

So the first examples have been on automatic,

The next two attachements have been on unicode and GSM Alphabet - No change

The last attachment is how my texts USED to come through before something

changed. Why all of a sudden mine are broken up is beyond me but it is

also beyond annoying and unacceptable!

I'm an IT Project Manager, we use our phones all day long at work, it's

pretty embarrassing when the partner of the company comments on how my text

messages are coming through.

Userlevel 1

Sorry I can't help more. I am barely a Samsung user, on a J5...

I am an iPhone user.

But I will be very interested by how you are going to fix it.

Userlevel 3

This is definitely less than ideal considering your line of work! Are you using the stock Android messaging app? Did this start after a recent software update? Lastly, can you confirm the software version you're running on your Note 8?

I'm having the exact same problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy 8, and I don't think there have been any updates since this started about a week ago. I thought it was my friend's iPhone that was having the issue receiving the texts, but have now heard from another Samsung user as well. I have Android version 8.0.0

Userlevel 3

Thank you for the info, @magenta7656867​. Have you confirmed that this is happening with other users besides one Samsung user? Also, are you using the stock messaging app? One step that I would highly recommend is deleting all of your messages in the stock messaging app and then clearing the cache on that app. Here are steps to clear the cache: Manage apps: Samsung Galaxy S8​.

Yes to all the above.

Im in IT I know all the tricks, its something with the cell towers, its not

the phones.

I have tried all these tricks as well and am still having issues. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:55 AM, tmo_amanda<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

#yiv9024413331 * #yiv9024413331 a #yiv9024413331 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9024413331 #yiv9024413331 h1, #yiv9024413331 h2, #yiv9024413331 h3, #yiv9024413331 h4, #yiv9024413331 h5, #yiv9024413331 h6, #yiv9024413331 p, #yiv9024413331 hr {}#yiv9024413331 .yiv9024413331button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

You have been mentioned

by tmo_amanda in Re: All text messages delivering as SMS in T-Mobile Support - View tmo_amanda's reference to you

Thank you for the info, magenta7656867. Have you confirmed that this is happening with other users besides one Samsung user? Also, are you using the stock messaging app? One step that I would highly recommend is deleting all of your messages in the stock messaging app and then clearing the cache on that app. Here are steps to clear the cache: Manage apps: Samsung Galaxy S8.

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Userlevel 4

Does this seem to happen with anyone and everyone that messages you, or is there any pattern on the side of the senders?

-Lauren

Your question doesn't apply to my problem. You have the issue backwards. My problem is NOT with the texts I receive from others.

My issue is that when I text others who are not on T-Mobile. My texts are split into multiple texts (1/2, 2/2, etc.) This happens even with short messages of approximately one paragraph. Longer texts are also split but are often delivered to others out of order making them a jumbled mess. (1/5, 4/5, 5/5, 3/5, 2/5)

This happens consistently when I send texts to Sprint or Verizon users.

I am having the same issue as Randi. It's not the texts I'm receiving, it's the texts I'm sending. It is happening consistently to one Verizon user who has an iPhone. Other people it hasn't been consistent.

I've been on the phone with Tmobile most of the morning. First I had to endure 30 minutes of tier 1 level support going through everything I've already tried and stated in this thread.
Then just spent another 30 minutes with advanced level support who told me exactly what I told them from the beginning.
T-Mobile is cutting off the texts after 160 characters, it's reverting back to the old SMS text messaging standards. That it doesn't happen to all phones, I have screen shots to prove it. I sent a long text to the the IT guys in my office, with varying phones and services, ALL  but one received the text in multiple and out of order. The only one who didn't just got his phone 2 weeks ago and has the Samsung Note 9 and uses Sprint.

They claim it's Samsung limiting the ability for T-mobile to change the amount of characters they allow to send out.  They were going to put me on hold while they contacted Samsung and i asked that they handle it and call me back, I'm at work and can't stay on hold for three hours. If your phone gives you the ability to changed how many characters are being sent out, try that and see if that works. Mine doesn't allow me, all I know is that mid-January something changed and that's when it started for me.

To say this has been a very frustrating experience would be an understatement.

In case anyone is following my original post,  here was a reply to a recent post:

I've been on the phone with Tmobile most of the morning. First I had to endure 30 minutes of tier 1 level support going through everything I've already tried and stated in this thread.
Then just spent another 30 minutes with advanced level support who told me exactly what I told them from the beginning.
T-Mobile is cutting off the texts after 160 characters, it's reverting back to the old SMS text messaging standards. That it doesn't happen to all phones, I have screen shots to prove it. I sent a long text to the the IT guys in my office, with varying phones and services, ALL  but one received the text in multiple and out of order. The only one who didn't just got his phone 2 weeks ago and has the Samsung Note 9 and uses Sprint.

They claim it's Samsung limiting the ability for T-mobile to change the amount of characters they allow to send out.  They were going to put me on hold while they contacted Samsung and i asked that they handle it and call me back, I'm at work and can't stay on hold for three hours. If your phone gives you the ability to changed how many characters are being sent out, try that and see if that works. Mine doesn't allow me, all I know is that mid-January something changed and that's when it started for me.

To say this has been a very frustrating experience would be an understatement.

Thanks for doing this extra work askomsky. I just tried to get help through Samsung's chat feature and they sent me to a Best Buy to have them help me. I didn't buy my phone there, so, um. Weird.

I can't change how many characters are being sent out, but I really don't think that's the problem since there are still several people receiving my longer texts not broken up.

This started happening to me yesterday. I have the Galaxy 7 and when I text my friend, the msg is broken up and numbered.

I have this same problem with my note 8. Text messages I send are broken up and not in order. If I send large text messages, they do not even get delivered. Anyone have a solution yet?

Userlevel 3

I appreciate everyone chiming in to give additional details on what type of phones you're using and sharing examples. It sounds like this is primarily happening with Samsung devices. We're still working to identify the root cause of this and I know a few of you have called in to work with Tech Support. At the moment, our best recommendation is to work with TEX (Team of Experts) via 611 or T-Force through Facebook/Twitter to have them file a ticket with engineering. This will basically allow our engineers to gather more information to get a better idea of why this is happening.

@askomsky​, I know you've already spoken to a few people over the phone. Did any of them file a ticket with our engineers?

I don't know. He was supposed to call me back on Friday and we were

supposed to go through Samsung support together, and they never called me

back.

All I know is Samsung phones on t-mobile aren't able to change character

count and whatever happened in early January changed how we send SMS

messages and now cuts them off.

Hello,

I did some digging and checked the Access Point settings on my phone, per Tmobile reference there isnt a mms protocol option to edit the APN (WAP-2). I searched around on other forums to see if alternative configurations would be able to send out my text messages (ssm) as multimedia messages (mms)

I have a samsung s9, just did the software update yesterday and side note, its not in my favor - I too am an IT professional.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37165

Userlevel 3

Thank you everyone for chiming in. The more people we know that it's impacting, the faster we can work towards a solution by gathering info. I'm sure this is a pain for everyone and I'm so sorry this is happening. From digging around, I can see that this is happening with other carriers using Android devices.  I'd like to recommend a few different steps:

1. Uninstall all messaging apps and use the stock messaging app to see if this continues.

2. Try these steps if the above doesn't work ​and you're using a ​Samsung​ device:

- Open Samsung Messages app.

- Tap More icon at the upper right hand side.

- Tap Settings.

- Tap More settings.

- Tap Multimedia messages.

- Tap Set restrictions and select Free.

Please give this a shot and let us know if you see any difference.

Ever since the new Android operating system rolled out on my S9 last Wednesday, all of my texts, even small ones, are being broken up and out of order.  Tested with different carriers and phones (including apple), and the only time my texts were normal was texting among other Tmobile phones.  My phone battery is draining fast, too.  But I'm way more concerned about the texts, which are mainly how I communicate with my boss all day and with family.  Let's hear it if more people are heaving this issue, so a bug fix update will get sent out sooner.

I cleared my cache after deleting all text messages, and it solved nothing on my S9 messenger software.  It needs to be fixed to where texts aren't broken up anymore like it used to be.  I can't even text my boss and clients because it gets irritating to receive one sentence in three parts...I don't like last week's new Android operating system rollout.