Solved

android 10 battery estimated time remaining never completing.

• 23 May 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

My LG G7 was updated to Android 10 yesterday.

Now I can NOT see my Estimated Battery time left? It never completes!

My battery life is quite bad to begin with, and it will fluctuate on every charge, sometimes by 20 or more hours. It can drop 50% in a day even, even with the phone basically idle. I need to see this figure!

Suggestions? I can't find a setting to turn that information on? I do see DETAILS of what used the battery under Battery Usage, but that info isn't of much value to me either.

icon

Best answer by tmo_ian 1 June 2020, 20:11

I couldn't find any information on how long it takes before showing up. I'd imagine it needs at least a few days to a week of charging / discharging cycles to understand how you use the device. And even then, it's only an estimate based on how you normally use the device. If you barely use your device most of the time and start watching Netflix, you're definitely not going to get that 50 hours of usage time. Also, the screen uses the most power out of any function the device can do, so having the screen on can impact that number. The more you check, the lower it will go 😊

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you tried restarting the phone already? You should also try wiping the cache and removing and third party battery saving apps if you have them installed.

Badge +2

Well, the phone DID restart once Android Q installed.

I've seen references in some Google searches that it takes TIME for that data to be collected. Well, so far it hasn't?

What I see now:

Still not showing any estimated time.

I did get an APP that seems to work:

Also works as a PULLDOWN:

Works for now, but I shouldn't need a 3rd party app to see how much time is left?

I just did a reboot. Still same info under Battery is showing. However, the APP seems to be quite a bit changed in what it reports:

Note that it now reports AFTER the reboot 11 hrs and 33 minutes vs. 2 days and 45 minutes.... which means I don't believe what it says either?

Also, note on reboot I'm on T-Moblie, not T-Mobile Wifi Calling. A RECURRING error with the LG G7 phone.

Here is what it says on the connect info:

A continuing problem with this phone. Sometimes it will eventually connect, other times I need to play with the Network SSID's I have until it connects. Many times I'll see 911 Emergency calls only too...

I think this LG G7 is JUNK, I've had it replaced once due to poor battery life (less than a day) and this replacement (probably a year now) isn't much better. When my time is up in July I'm getting something more reliable I think? This battery life mess is the LAST straw!

Badge +2

Well, maybe it takes a week???

Today I see this:

Also see it when I select Battery Usage.

Not too reliable possibly though? Time left fluctuates quite a bit, 8 minutes later it says 49hrs 26 min left? The battery app I have, 52hrs 46min left?

However, at least I see something now, close enough...

Solved if it was that time to get some data points before stating time left?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I couldn't find any information on how long it takes before showing up. I'd imagine it needs at least a few days to a week of charging / discharging cycles to understand how you use the device. And even then, it's only an estimate based on how you normally use the device. If you barely use your device most of the time and start watching Netflix, you're definitely not going to get that 50 hours of usage time. Also, the screen uses the most power out of any function the device can do, so having the screen on can impact that number. The more you check, the lower it will go 😊

Badge +2

Ian, thanks for the reply.

Well, it has been over a week, and both the Android Q Setting for Battery and the app I got are close to agreeing on the remaining time. I guess Android needed some 'history' before 'guessing' the remaining time.

We've got 2 G7's, mine which is used more and my wife's which basically is an 'emergency' phone. Her G7 had the same issue, so I'll write it off to needing time to get history but so far, hers has not displayed time remaining. However her phone was updated a few days after mine.

Of more concern now to me is the 'wi-fi' switch-over. Her phone has no problems. Switches over to wi-fi fast. Mine, occasionally, but once it doesn't connect, with the REG99 error, it can stay off wi-fi for hours or even till the next time I take it out of the house and come back in. Every 'trick' I know of I've tried, re-boot, changed SSID's, Forgot the SSID, re-booted the router. What usually will work is the router re-boot, but not always. Meanwhile wife's phone has no problems? However, we've both had the phones run out of power within a very short period of time. Complete loss of battery power. What is worrisome is that we both know when we last looked at the phone we had more than 1 day of power left (before Android Q was installed, and we've both had this happen as well on Q by the way and why seeing the amount of power left is important to us). I suspect it might be the phone continually trying to connect to wifi and it can't? However, I'm not sure what drained the power on my wife's phone (we do have a different set of apps and I clearly have more)?

So, in retrospect, it might be the phone that has the problem, not Android Q, as I've not seen any other reports of this on a Google search.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Actually, for the REG99 errors that could be something that we have to fix on our end. As long as you have your e911 address setup correctly, I'd recommend giving us a call the next time you have the error. There's a few troubleshooting steps our Experts will do.

Badge +2

Ian, just checked my Account, yes, it is set up correctly.

If it wasn't correct, I could never connect to wifi, no?

Should I still call the next time there is a problem?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

You'd be able to connect to Wi-Fi, but the Calling might be an issue. Yea I'd give us a call next time so one of our Experts can take a closer look.

Badge +2

Ian, well, just an update...

No real progress with the phone support.

It seems the only thing left to try is a RESET of the phone. Not sure if that will even work. When I had the phone replaced, the store tried to recover all my settings from the old phone via a restore. Did not end well. Yes, all the apps came back, screens were jumbled, and worse, ALL userID's and P/W's were not recovered. In some instances, icon's on screens were there but the apps themselves had to be re-downloaded.

Since Android 10/Q was installed recently, and the problem persisted for a long time before that, the support didn't think it was worth the gamble? There is a problem with my local tower. It is being 'serviced' with not more info than they had? Also, the support person was UNAWARE that Android 10/Q was even available. First thought I got the code from somewhere else or jail-broke my phone? I have Android 10 on the phone according the the Phone Info in Settings. The s/w version is G710TM30a. Phone support doesn't have that version as available? Only G710TM20a (I recall) and he though it must have been put on my phone then by LG as LM-G710TM is my model number? No, both of our LG-G7's have the same version and release and got it via TM...

Again, wife's LG G7 retains the Wifi connection.On the phone with support I rebooted the G7. It didn't connect to Wi-fi. Same REG99 error. I reset the selection and watched what happened with the 'down arrow' on the main screen selected. In about a minute I saw it change to Wi-Fi Calling, then T-Mobile Wi-fi calling in about 20 seconds, and then 10 seconds later, back to T-Mobile. The same error, REG99. They had me reboot again. Tried again and this time the same sequence, but stayed on T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling. Support thought possibly the local tower was the problem? It might have come back on full power and confused the phone. Doubted that, as I never saw the bars increase from 1 or 2. Neither did my wife's phone which was right next to my phone on the same screen. However, all through yesterday (I called around 11AM I think?) it did not lose the wi-fi connection. Picked it up this morning, right back to T-Mobile again!!! Turned off the WI-FI CALLING setting this morning and back on, connected to Wi-Fi within about 20 seconds and has stayed on so far for 2 hours... so confusing. Again, no problems with wife's phone? I am 90% sure this is a specific phone problem? Well, another month I'm done paying for the phone, I'll get something else I guess to 'fix' this problem.

Really disappointed in this LG phone. Maybe it is a problem due to it being replaced with a refurbished unit, who knows?