Solved

Android 11 Draining battery on S20 5G

• 14 December 2020
  • 13 replies

Badge
  • Helper Level 1
  • 5 replies

Anyone else notice a very slow charge and a rapid discharge in the S20 5G battery after updating to Android 11. It's horrible!!!

Also does anyone know how to roll back to the latest Android 10? It's THAT bad. I don't recommend installing 11 until a battery patch is pushed out!!

icon

Best answer by JP51 27 December 2020, 05:27

Mine is much better now. Samsung support had me Wipe the Cache Partition. That did the trick for me. 

Run Wipe Cache Partition - step by step

1. Switch off the Samsung Galaxy S20 completely

2. Press and hold the Volume up key and the Power/Bixby key simultaneously.

3. Release the buttons when the Android recovery screen appears on the display.

4. Use the Volume down key until you highlight "Wipe Cache Partition".

5. Press the Power/ Bixby button to select the entry.

6. confirm the operation again by selecting "Yes". Use the Volume Quiet key to do this. Now the Wipe Cache Partition will be executed, which usually takes only one second. Then select "Reboot System Now"

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

After the update did you perform a back up and reinstall?

Badge

I always back before an upgrade. I did not reinstall since this was an upgrade not a Factory Reset. I just spent a frustrating 45 minutes on the phone with TMobile and Samsung. No real "fix" just a bit of runaround. Told to wipe the partition cache, then try it. Factory Reset, try it again. If both those don't fix it to take the phone to an authorized repair facility and have them check it/roll back to Android 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Did you check the app usage to see if anything is draining the battery?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

i remember seeing a post about a S20 receiving 11 and running into battery drain issues..but for the life of me i cant remember where i ran into it...it was on another carriers forums just cant remember which.

after their last update fiasco battery drain this go around wouldnt surprise me lol.

add on to gramps post..your mobile data and voice/calls/sms texts side of things are all working correctly?

also are you by chance running battery saver mode on your phone currently?

Badge

Yes, nothing significant, however, I did wipe the cache partition and 🤞 it seems to perhaps be helping. The phone is cool compared to running warm-hot. The battery doesn't seem to be draining as fast.  It dropped 2% in about 1.5 hrs. That's much better than it was. Hopefully that fixed it!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

TmoNews had an article.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/12/t-mobile-pauses-galaxy-s20-update-android-11/

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Samsung is just going for gold this year when it comes to updates/security patches lol.

Badge

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It has seemed to improve since wiping the Cache Partition. To time the discharge, I just topped off the battery and noted the time I unplugged. I'm going to use the phone as I normally do and see how long it takes to drain down to 20%.  I'll post back the results.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

worst case i read someone did a FR and their issues were fixed..on the plus side performing a FR now days compared to 5-10 years ago is MUCH easier..

Badge

That's my next step if needed.  So far dropped 16% in 2 hrs. I've been using it a lot so that's not too bad. Much better than last night and this morning.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

i know back in the day a big one popped up where if you were running battery saver mode it actually did the opposite and drained that mofo. you actually had to turn off battery saver mode in order to save battery until they fixed it lol. oddly enough at times after an update it can take a few hours or most of a day before it kind of settles in..zero idea why and not something you see super often..i used to perform a factory reset..then i would do the update...then i would reset again..then i would load all my stuff back on since updates are normally done on fully stock devices..testing etc..so replicating it as much as possible means WAY less issues..but then i got old and lazy lol.

Anyone else notice a very slow charge and a rapid discharge in the S20 5G battery after updating to Android 11. It's horrible!!!

Also does anyone know how to roll back to the latest Android 10? It's THAT bad. I don't recommend installing 11 until a battery patch is pushed out!!

not only is mine draining battery at a ridiculous rate, but it's also super slow charging. when I charge with the original charger, I get a notification that I'm fast charging, and it takes about an hour and a half to charge my phone from 30% to 100%. It's been plugged in for 10 minutes and it's charged roughly 3% of this point

Badge

Mine is much better now. Samsung support had me Wipe the Cache Partition. That did the trick for me. 

Run Wipe Cache Partition - step by step

1. Switch off the Samsung Galaxy S20 completely

2. Press and hold the Volume up key and the Power/Bixby key simultaneously.

3. Release the buttons when the Android recovery screen appears on the display.

4. Use the Volume down key until you highlight "Wipe Cache Partition".

5. Press the Power/ Bixby button to select the entry.

6. confirm the operation again by selecting "Yes". Use the Volume Quiet key to do this. Now the Wipe Cache Partition will be executed, which usually takes only one second. Then select "Reboot System Now"