Question

Android 11 Update for unlocked Galaxy Z flip

• 11 February 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hi,

i have an unlocked Galaxy Z Flip 5G that i bought directly from Samsung.  it has only been on the T-Mobile network- when can I expect the update?  My Note 10+ which I bought from T-Mobile already has the update. 

Thanks!!

13 replies

I also have an unlocked Z Flip 5G I purchased direct from Samsung.  It shows up in my T-Mobile account as “Phone-first Unknown Device.”  The IMEI number is correct.  When will the Android 11 be available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ask Samsung!  Updates for Samsung devices come from and are pushed by Samsung.

Badge

Hi @syaoran I have called Samsung and T Mobile and both are pointing the fingers at each other- 

Hi @Sourdough my tmbl account says the same thing--

idk maybe I will just go with IOS??

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @syaoran I have called Samsung and T Mobile and both are pointing the fingers at each other- 

Hi @Sourdough my tmbl account says the same thing--

idk maybe I will just go with IOS??

That is a common practice, sadly.  T-Mobile does provide some bloat, carrier aggregation, and in some rare cases, minimal testing.  However, the manufacturer of the device is responsible for the firmware base that the device needs to function.  Contrary to popular belief, carriers do not employee a full software team for each device manufacturer.  This goes way back with manufacturers blaming the carriers for messing up their devices, which is why the manufacturers are and have been responsible for those updates for about a decade now.  COVID-19 is definitely not an excuse for these manufacturers to have significantly slowed updates for devices and the stability of those updates have majorly decreased as well.  This is a trend though that is pretty consistent across the board though.  Google seems to be about the only exception with their Pixel devices, but that is also the main reason some buy Pixel devices.  

Badge

Thank you I appreciate the feedback :relaxed: -  I guess you just can’t win either way-  i bought the phone direct to get away from the bloat and because tmobile didn’t offer the phone in white [minute detail]  but I guess if I want updates I need to buy from the carrier :thinking: or move to Pixel or IOS-

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It is possible to cross-flash most Samsung devices from the same region.  It doesn’t require rooting or unlocking the bootloader and, at least from a point of view having done so many times with multiple different variants going back to the S8’s. 

Because devices are so darn expensive in today’s pandemic times.  You might want to consider cross-flashing your device.  All Canada and US models are exactly the same hardware and only differ by the firmware and software they come with.  This really isn’t the place though to talk about this, but XDA Developers has sub-forums for just about every Android device out there.  You can find all of the information you could ever want or need over there.  One key thing to note though, that most carriers prohibit domestic roaming on devices not sold by them.  This is determined by the IMEI and converting the device will not change this.  In AT&T’s case, VoWiFi will only work on devices sold by AT&T because they sniff the device in use multiple times a week to ensure that devices using their features are devices purchased by them.  Any device that wasn’t purchased from them, is not permitted to access VoWiFi on AT&T, even if running the AT&T firmware.  

Badge

thanks this is a great website-- there is already talk of Android 12 and a wealth of information!!  I am definitely going to check out cross-flashing.

My online searching has indicated that you can do an update by using their Smart Switch from your PC by connecting it to your phone.  If there is an update it will let you know and proceed to do it.  I downloaded Smart Switch and it just showed android 10 as the OS.

I also came across a site that said they had the update that can be used to force it on a phone.  I didn’t bother given the recent download malware and my habit of not getting any such updates or important software from other than the original company.  I’ll look again and so some research on that site, but wait a bit longer.

I’ve seen another site that showed the android update schedule and the new 20 and 21 models were shown as done, the Z Flip 5G was listed and in progress.

If I am successful for a trusted source, I’ll let everyone know.

Badge

@Sourdough I tried that using Smart Switch and it didn’t work -- I have done allot of research and other than force update or cross flashing as @syaoran suggested nothing is really out there except other users having the same issue.  Good luck maybe it will work for you :relaxed:

Badge

Hi -  I checked for updates this morning and i am now downloading the new ui and android 11.  @syaoran thanks for responding and the awesome info provided!  Stay safe! 

@Sourdough try checking for updates to see if you can download it also. Hope it works for you.   Stay safe!

After reading your post I did try to update using the on-phone method.  I got several unable to update due to server error or connection responses.  I decided to try Smart Switch and it worked.  It said an update was available and installed it.  I’m curious whether it came from Samsung or T-Mobile.

I’m happy now but wondering what the process will be for android 12.  I kinda miss giving the cross-flashing or checking XDA Developers try.  Think I’ll browse them to learn a bit more.  Thanks to @syaoran  and tperez  for your help and advice.

Guess the old adage is still true - patience comes to he who waits.

Be safe and healthy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

All updates come from Samsung.  Even the OTA's.  Sometimes updates are purposely staggered to make sure no critical bug were missed.  No major issues reported after a few weeks will usually get an update pushed to all devices.  

Badge

@Sourdough glad it worked out for you!  yes that adage is very true :slight_smile: -