Solved

Android: suddenly, can no more stream radio and use other app (for instance e-mail) simultaneously

• 21 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

For several years, I could stream radio and run another app. Now, the streaming radio stops when I go to another app. It looks like a bug introduced with the last update. I contacted support and I got a “solution” which actually does not work + a youtube video which explains how to solve the problem FOR iPhone while I use Android!!!!

I suspect that I am not the only one to experience this problem, but support does not seem to have access to developers and vice-versa.

I would be grateful for any suggestion.

icon

Best answer by Isaac Levendel 24 May 2023, 04:47

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Android 12 and 13 have changed how apps in the background are handled.  Depending on your device, there might be a high performance mode or an option to prevent an app from being put to sleep when it isn't in the foreground.  On my s23 Ultra as an example.  individual apps can be controlled under Apps, Battery.  Turning off optimizing for battery usage keeps the app always working whether it is the active app or open in the background.  This can slightly increase battery use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm streaming radio right now with no issues on a Pixel 6 using the station app.

The only time I lose connection is when I open an app with Bluetooth permission then the streaming stops.

Badge

Thanks for the answers. I am using SE 20 5G and tried all possibilities using the battery parameters to no avail. Actually, this happens when I use a Bluetooth device to listen to the streaming app. It looks that there was a recent modification (bug? careless “improvement” somewhere causing problem elsewhere?). I swear I did not drop the phone in my bathtub!

Badge

Addition: I just tried to reset the Bluetooth cache and delete the data; the option was greyed out.

The only remaining option is too destructive: resetting Wifi, mobile and Bluetooth

Badge

Thanks to everyone. I was about to reset all the communication, but I tried one little experiment that worked: I unpaired a few devices from Bluetooth and miracle, miracle, the problem went away without having to take a more time consuming step!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sometimes deleting devices you're no longer using with your Bluetooth connection seems to help, I don't have many devices I connect to.

Badge

I am surprised that the developers did not provide this “trick” to the support staff. In fact, I am not surprised.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's almost like having too many devices connected to your wifi will cause a decrease in speed.

I'm glad you figured it out and this will help other people.

Mark your post as correct answer so if someone has this issue they will see this thread they may find a fix.